Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What kinds of healthy foods do you eat? Plus Laminar's Whole30 Blog

What kinds of healthy foods do you eat? Plus Laminar's Whole30 Blog
mindwaves
May 13, 2018, 10:50 PM

Aside from the normal fruits and veggies that you are supposed to eat, do you eat anything that would be considered healthy for whatever purpose (e.g., cancer fighting properties, eye health, general diet practices)? Maybe it is a handful of almonds, flax seed, or something else. Please refrain from posting prefacing the word organic or non-GMO, as that is not the subject of the post. Vitamin pills also should not be mentioned. I'm interested in food only.

I eat a spoonful of black sesame paste paste every day. Sometimes add it to cow milk or soy milk. I do it mainly because it tastes good and has cancer fighting properties (well, at least protects the liver) among other things (cholesterol fighting, good heart health). I also drink black tea on most days (no sugar, milk).

subego
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2018, 10:58 PM

I eat seaweed purely because I like it.

mindwaves  (op)
May 13, 2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I eat seaweed purely because I like it.
It is laver seaweed or something else? How do you eat it (soup?)?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2018, 03:02 AM

Nori. Just straight.

Well, sometimes I eat it wrapped around a block of rice and fried spam, but that’s no longer healthy.

andi*pandi
May 14, 2018, 11:24 AM

Yesterday at a persian restaurant they had this spice on the table, said it was good for digestion and getting rid of fat.

Sumac
https://thespicelibrary.com.au/produ...s/sumac-spice/

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2018, 11:39 AM

We're starting a Whole 30 tomorrow. Should be fun.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2018, 01:00 PM

Is it too early to mention beer ?

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Yesterday at a persian restaurant they had this spice on the table, said it was good for digestion and getting rid of fat.

Sumac

This also aids digestion, and gets rid of fat if you dance to it.

10/10

mindwaves  (op)
May 15, 2018, 01:21 AM

Spam sushi is delicious. Never tried sumac before. I heard eating turmeric is good for health. It is also the spice which gives curry its color. I've also watched some Youtube videos showing a guy living in and Indian (as in India) village spreading turmeric over his meat before cooking it as some type of antiseptic, I think. Never seen that before.

andi*pandi
May 15, 2018, 11:20 AM

The name threw me because in US, the only sumac I've heard of is poison sumac.
https://www.thespruce.com/poison-sumac-pictures-4071931

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2018, 02:47 PM

This thread just became my Whole 30 blog. Ban me.

Day 1:
- Breakfast: Espresso
- Lunch: Steak, pineapple, carrots
- Dinner: Broccoli beef, pineapple

subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2018, 02:56 PM

Day 1

- Breakfast: Son of Baconator and a chili

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2018, 04:37 PM

#2 Spicy Deluxe at Chik-Fil-A
45/47

mindwaves  (op)
May 15, 2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This thread just became my Whole 30 blog. Ban me.

Day 1:
- Breakfast: Espresso
- Lunch: Steak, pineapple, carrots
- Dinner: Broccoli beef, pineapple
I just looked up those Whole 30 as I’ve never heard of it before and it prohibits the eating of grains, legumes, dairy, soy, etc. I guess ok, but it also ranks as one of the worse diets. Are you worried about this?

I’m also on a diet and this is my ninth day. I eat regular food for breakfast and lunch, just slightly smaller portions. For dinner, I don’t eat any grains and my dinner is also a bit smaller. One week in and I guessed I lost two pounds, it I haven’t weighed myself.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I guess ok, but it also ranks as one of the worse diets. Are you worried about this?
Not really. Meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs. No processed grains, no added sugar, no dairy. Sounds like a viable diet (diet as in "the food you eat," not "a plan to lose weight") to me.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2018, 10:05 AM

I have a friend who's doing whole30 as an elimination diet for a mystery allergy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2018, 02:13 PM

It gets worse, this food blog now has pictures.

Lunch today (nitrate-free bacon, eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, pineapple):

mindwaves  (op)
May 16, 2018, 08:10 PM

The first picture looks yummy, the second just so-so to me. Did you cook the broccoli? What are you drinking for fluids every day besides water, if anything else?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2018, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It gets worse, this food blog now has pictures.

Lunch today (nitrate-free bacon, eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, pineapple):

“This Whole 30 shit needs a Happy Meal Thursday.”

-Your Kids

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2018, 07:24 AM

Whole30 rules. This is more about finding out what may causing food allergy issues than losing weight, as andi posted, correct?
https://whole30.com/downloads/offici...gram-rules.pdf
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2018, 09:26 AM

The first picture looks yummy, the second just so-so to me. Did you cook the broccoli? What are you drinking for fluids every day besides water, if anything else?
Yep, browned the hamburger, added the veggies, let simmer for a bit. Served on a bed of spinach. Coffee's legal without sugar or dairy; wife drinks it black anyway, I only drink espresso (since the birth of kid #2). I never drank much besides water anyway. Wife drinks sparkling water.

“This Whole 30 shit needs a Happy Meal Thursday.”

-Your Kids
The youngest is still on an all-liquid diet, served via a very nice delivery method. The second is mostly cool with it, he's used to us making weird stuff that he doesn't really like. We just always provide options like fruits and veggies so he can fill up on those. He could live off of fruit so having an abundance at every meal is pretty ideal. He's probably killed half a watermelon on his own over the past two days.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Whole30 rules. This is more about finding out what may causing food allergy issues than losing weight, as andi posted, correct?
It can be, but we're not really looking for that. I'm genetically predisposed to high cholesterol and have issues snacking and occasional binge eating (<3 pizza and cookies). And the more we read about the influence of trans fats, processed grains, and added sugar and their contribution to the health problems we see disproportionately in the US (cancer, diabetes, heart disease), we wanted to try something different. No beer at volleyball last night, no doughnuts today.

Supper: Grilled dry-rubbed pork chops, watermelon, avocado.

Snacks from yesterday:
- apples
- banana with "mixed-nut butter"
- pickles
- walnuts
( Last edited by Laminar; May 17, 2018 at 10:06 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2018, 03:57 PM

Day 2 lunch (no picture). Same as yesterday, but with strawberries instead of pineapple.

mindwaves  (op)
May 17, 2018, 09:49 PM

Based on your food pictures, I would guess that most of your food in your shopping cart picture above has been eaten. Time to go shopping again soon!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2018, 11:54 PM

This is one of the reasons my diet sucks. I can’t be arsed to go to the grocery store when it’s cold.

dav
Mac Elite
May 18, 2018, 09:17 AM

hmm, not sure how unusual any of this is, but regularly consume: chia seed, variety of nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews), turmeric, green tea/matcha, ground cayenne, pomegranate, dark chocolate (90%), kale/spinach, medicinal mushrooms...
one post closer to five stars

mindwaves  (op)
May 20, 2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
hmm, not sure how unusual any of this is, but regularly consume: chia seed, variety of nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews), turmeric, green tea/matcha, ground cayenne, pomegranate, dark chocolate (90%), kale/spinach, medicinal mushrooms...
How do you eat your seeds and nuts? I’m assuming just plopping them in the mouth whole or tossing them in a salad? Maybe adding them to bread or as a bread condiment would be good also.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2018, 10:08 AM

Based on your food pictures, I would guess that most of your food in your shopping cart picture above has been eaten. Time to go shopping again soon!
Good eye. Went grocery shopping Saturday morning. Wife and 5yo were out of town for the weekend, so it was me and baby.

Have some catching up to do.

Thursday dinner: Deconstructed burgers, asparagus, strawberries, blueberries:

Friday lunch: Chicken breasts, avocado, cantelope, clementine.

Friday dinner: Sweet potato hash - ground beef, sweet potatoes, green pepper. Avocado, cantelope.

Saturday lunch: Leftover chicken breasts, cantelope, spinach.

Saturday dinner: Leftover sweet potato hash (you've seen it)

Sunday lunch: Grilled pork chops again, watermelon, cucumber. I grilled a bunch of them so my wife has an easy option to pack for lunches

Sunday dinner (forgot to take a pic before digging in): Garlic shrimp with asparagus and mushrooms, watermelon, avocados.

Snacks have included clementines, walnuts, cashews, bananas, dates, dried figs, and pickles.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2018, 10:45 AM

Also made some more BBQ sauce:

Tasty on the chicken, pork, avocado, and more.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2018, 11:37 AM

All in all that looks pretty good! Are you allowed cooking oils etc?

Most of those spices would be forbidden on FODMAP diet, except vinegar, salt, pepper.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2018, 12:07 PM

No vegetable oils or soy, no Extra Virgin olive oil, but normal or light olive oil is allowed. They also allow clarified butter. We did pick up some avocado oil, but haven't used it yet.

dav
Mac Elite
May 21, 2018, 01:31 PM

How do you eat your seeds and nuts? I’m assuming just plopping them in the mouth whole or tossing them in a salad? Maybe adding them to bread or as a bread condiment would be good also.
Chia seed and walnuts get cooked into oatmeal. Almonds, cashews, etc., by the handful.
one post closer to five stars

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2018, 03:06 PM

Yesterday went out to lunch with coworkers, had sashimi.

Dinner was orange chicken with riced cauliflower, cucumbers, homemade Caesar dressing, raspberries, watermelon.

Lunch today was leftovers from last night, plus a clementine and avocado.

mindwaves  (op)
May 22, 2018, 07:59 PM

Food all looks good. Any improvement in your overall health? Maybe a subjective question but maybe you feel less tired? Bowels the same regular intervals?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2018, 10:56 AM

Nothing subjective. I'm spending a lot of time working in the garage and baby isn't letting us sleep well yet, so my body generally aches and we're still in the zombie phase of life. Wife says sugar cravings usually hit around day 8ish, so I suppose I'm about due. I used to bake a lot of cookies, and I usually made a point to visit coworkers that keep chocolate or oreos at their desk, so giving that has been the hardest part for me. No pangs or irritation or anything weird. Bowels aren't any better or worse.

Out to dinner for BIL's birthday last night to a great BBQ place, I love their pulled pork and waffle fries. Ordered blackened salmon, green beans, and sweet potato fries. Technically sweet potatoes are allowed but restaurant fries aren't. But no worries, Whole30 nazis, the fries were dry and tasteless, so they had to have been healthy.

The plate came with two sides, and those were the only two that were even close to legal. Obviously I couldn't eat the Texas toast.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2018, 09:15 AM

Lunch yesterday - pork chop, pineapple, cucumbers.

Dinner yesterday - Breakfast frittata (eggs, red and green peppers, spinach, sundried tomatoes, garlic), carrots, pineapple, avocado.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2018, 04:56 PM

Lunch was pork chop, clemtines, carrots. No pics since you know what it looks like.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2018, 09:45 AM

Dinner last night - we redid the "Deconstructed burgers" recipe, but 5yo thought we should do patties instead of ground beef this time. Then after putting a patty on his plate, he asked me to cut it up for him.

One the side were roasted cauliflower and zucchini, avocado, blueberries, and canteloupe.

andi*pandi
May 25, 2018, 11:43 AM

do you steam your cauliflower prior to roasting? we did mixed roasted veggies on the grill and of course some were done and the cauliflower was still crunchy. Tasty, but crunchy. Perhaps the solution is not mix it...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2018, 10:18 AM

I don't steam. Coated with olive oil, salted, about 22 minutes at 425 in the oven and they're nice and tender.

Long weekend! A lot of catching up to do.

Friday lunch was leftovers, nothing special.

Friday dinner: Chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, apples, tomatoes. And a new kitchen table! Very exciting stuff.

Saturday lunch was leftover chicken, plus sautéed mushrooms and an egg (sorry, forgot to take a pic before digging in). Also strawberries from the farmer's market.

Saturday dinner was pork chops, apples, and farmer's market asparagus:

Saturday evening was BIL/SIL's birthday on a party bus. I cheated and filled my water bottle with vodka/OJ. Ended up grabbing Chipotle afterwards - the salad with carnitas, red pico, green salsa, and guac is apparently legal, according to the internet. No pictures. Was hungry. And inebriated.

Sunday lunch was leftover pork chops, raspberries, plus zucchini and green beans sautéed in ghee, lemon juice, and garlic.

Sunday dinner was a crock pot carnitas recipe. It's not specifically a Whole30 recipe, I just left the sugar out of the and found a compliant chicken broth. Plus more zucchini/green beans, avocado, and the rest of the strawberries.

Monday lunch (forgot to take a pic when it was fresh, grabbed a pic of the leftovers) was a breakfast hash bowl with potatoes, sausage, and spinach with an egg on top.

Dinner was lemon butter zucchini noodles with steak, with carrots, avocado, and blackberries. It turns out that I don't own a spiralizer, so I had to hand slice the zucchini. Turned out awesome anyway.

Looking forward to digging back into that pulled pork for lunch today.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2018, 05:14 PM

Lunch today: Leftover noodles and the one remaining piece of steak. Plus some pulled pork and a clementine.

Also, one thing they mention is to take weights/measurements before starting the Whole30, then stashing the scale away until the end. Well, I cheated and pulled the scale out today. 14 days into it and I'm down a legit 10 pounds.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2018, 05:34 PM

Why stash it away?

mindwaves  (op)
May 29, 2018, 08:52 PM

Seriously, 10 pounds in 14 days? Wow, quite amazing. I'm down 5 pounds in three weeks. Are you doing any additional walking or exercise also?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2018, 10:11 AM

Why stash it away?
Not sure of their reasons, but I have a couple ideas - seeing the full change over 30 days is more dramatic than seeing a pound drop off every few days. It makes for a bigger impact at the end. Or conversely, if the person isn't losing weight at all, it prevents them from getting discouraged and quitting. There are supposed to be other health benefits to the plan other than just weight loss, so they want to avoid people quitting prematurely due to no weight loss.

I told the wife I cheated and weighed myself. She did too and is down 7 pounds.

Seriously, 10 pounds in 14 days? Wow, quite amazing. I'm down 5 pounds in three weeks. Are you doing any additional walking or exercise also?
No extra exercise. I'd have maybe a 6 pack of beer per month, so that's not a big change. I don't feel like I'm eating less at each meal, but I'm definitely not doing my occasional doughtnut/pizza/cookie binges. Apparently that's enough to make a difference.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2018, 10:12 AM

Dinner last night was buffalo chicken cauliflower fried rice, cherries, carrots.

No one else likes spicy food, so looks like these leftovers will be mine to eat while wifey gets the pulled pork .

mindwaves  (op)
May 31, 2018, 12:59 AM

Is the Whole30 eating style sustainable? I mean if you are losing almost a pound per day, you'll be a bag of bones pretty soon. Or is it only supposed to be eaten for 30 days and then resort back to a "normal diet?"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2018, 12:32 PM

I think it's often considered a "cleanse" that's done temporarily. I assume if I did it long term, my body would reach a new balance point. I'm definitely not watching calories or portion sizes, and I'm snacking on nuts, which are pretty calorie dense. The weight that's falling off now is definitely extra - I'm still about 10lbs more than I was in college.

The recommend easing back into regular foods not overdoing it. Mild to moderate lactose intolerance is normal as the body hasn't had dairy for a month. Same with gluten apparently. The first weekend after our 30 days is up, wife goes to a bachelorette party and I'm hope all weekend with the kids. I'm probably going to eat about 1000 cookies.

Lunch yesterday was the buffalo chicken fried rice, you've seen it.

Dinner last night as the Asian broccoli beef, with zucchini instead of the red bell pepper. And instead of beef it was a venison/beef blend from a friend that shot a deer. Plus watermelon.

andi*pandi
May 31, 2018, 01:22 PM

Do you miss sweets and starches? Have you cheated?
My friend doing it was tempted by homemade lemon meringue pie. I think I would be hard pressed to do without chocolate for 30 days.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2018, 03:23 PM

I miss cookies. I'd usually make a batch a week or so, and they're always gone within 24 hours, usually less. We had a retirement party at my office yesterday, they served pizza and cake, so I went home for lunch. I could pass on the cake but you bet I'd have a buttload of pizza. And then the leftovers were in the lunchroom all afternoon. And they pulled out some more today. To tease me, I assume.

I only usually drink about a six pack a month, but I do miss the occasional beer.

My only cheat so far was on my BIL's birthday party bus - I took a thermos of Vodka/OJ instead of doing beers (though I did have a Summer Shandy at one of the stops). But no food cheating.

My sister got me a ticket to a whiskey tasting tonight at a local sushi place, so I'll be cheating with booze again but will stick to approved foods.

andi*pandi
May 31, 2018, 03:56 PM

wow, good job sticking to it!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2018, 09:19 AM

Yesterday lunch was pulled pork, carrots, and bananas. Use your imagination.

Last night was the whiskey tasting, so I cheated with booze, but stuck with sashimi again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules