Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wallstreet PB Upgrade actually work for anyone?

Wallstreet PB Upgrade actually work for anyone?
Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2001, 07:52 AM

I've seen mixed reports elsewhere of CPU upgrades for Wallstreet PB G3.
I'd like to know if any of you have upgraded to 400 or 500MHz (I'm starting with 233MHz model):
?Powerlogix?
?Sonnet?
There are rumors elsewhere of lots of hassles, so I'd like to hear who on these fora now successfully uses their Wallstreet with the speedbump...
  • How stable is it with OS 9.1?
    Will it work with OS X10.1?
What do you think: does any upgrade really give new life to this (once) fine machine?
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Wattsy
Oct 17, 2001, 09:11 AM

Have you considered giving the upgrade options a miss and looking for a newer PowerBook? The wallstreet was a classic but is really beginnning to show its age now. Now is a good time to pick up a used Pismo or first generation Ti from those desperate to upgrade to the 'latest and greatest'.

Richard Pinneau  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2001, 09:43 AM

Uh, well, I confess: yes!
Done that.
But as long as I've got the Wallstreet, I'd like to let the family use it (not my Pismo) if it can be speedier - yet stable!
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

ToasterQuanta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 10:18 AM

Okay, not exactly first hand, but...

My housemate has the Powerlogix Bluechip 466 card in his Wallstreet II (former 233MHz). I believe he got the card on closeout from SmallDog for like $125.

The whole upgrade process wasn't 100% smooth, though. The first card he got was really unstable. Powerlogix claimed it was from a bad batch and quickly repaired the card and sent it back. (yes, it was the same exact card -- they actually re-soldered chips!)

Everything has been peachy with the new card. Really solid in MacOS's 9.1 and 10.1, and super-fast. Installation was trivial -- both times.

Seems like a worthwile upgrade for the machine -- especially if you can get a 466 card on the cheap.

Hope this helps!

~TQ

[edit -- I need a spellchecker ]

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: ToasterQuanta ]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 06:19 PM

They re-soldered the chips? LOL.

ToasterQuanta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 06:40 PM

Yeah, I had never seen anything like this! It was maybe a two or three day turnaround, they sent back what was clearly the same card, with the exception of two chips that had obviously been re-soldered.

*shrug* - the card worked 1000% better afterwards, so whatever...

Forum Links
Forum Rules