Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone with a 1GB TiBook on these boards?

Anyone with a 1GB TiBook on these boards?
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2001, 08:31 AM

I justed ordered my first 512MB module from Trans Int'l ($360 -- expensive, but works in BOTH slots). I can't wait until next month when I order another. 1GB RAM in a notebook! UNBELIEVABLE!

Does anyone out there have a gigaTi? How's performance compare? How much disk cache should I allocate for best performance?

At work I plan on keeping Explorer, Entourage, Outlook, FreeHand and Photoshop (with at least 256MB allocated) active all of the time, and have space left for one or two more apps to be temporarily opened, like Illustrator, Word or Hotline. How is reliability? Is it going to be crash city? My current 256MB means I have to quit FreeHand to run Photoshop, and I hate that.

Cheers,

tonton
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 11:42 AM

From your mention of "allocation" I'm guessing you're running OS 9.1. If you have X could you report any speed differences once you install the new memory? I'm wondering where the breakpoint is going to be for X where adding more RAM will not make a noticible speed difference for typical usage. On a side note: is $360 the cheapest you found for 512??
Backup your Backup

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2001, 12:11 PM

512MB chips for 98 bucks here...are these dfferent from Powerbook G3 DIMMS?

512MB Powerbook DIMMS...

Mskr
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2001, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
<STRONG>512MB chips for 98 bucks here...are these dfferent from Powerbook G3 DIMMS?

512MB Powerbook DIMMS...</STRONG>
Yeah. You gotta have low-profile SODIMMs for the TiBook and iBook 2001. You can't fit the full-size SODIMMs in the slots, so these $98 dollar 512MB SODIMMs won't work in the TiBook. SORRY!

Someday, these 512MB SODIMMs will come down significantly in price, unless there's another huge earthquake in Taiwan, like in '99! (I hope not for their sake, not my own...)
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Mskr:
<STRONG>

Yeah. You gotta have low-profile SODIMMs for the TiBook and iBook 2001. You can't fit the full-size SODIMMs in the slots, so these $98 dollar 512MB SODIMMs won't work in the TiBook. SORRY!

Someday, these 512MB SODIMMs will come down significantly in price, unless there's another huge earthquake in Taiwan, like in '99! (I hope not for their sake, not my own...)</STRONG>

1-800-4-MEMORY $179.00

Boundless Technology $179.00

Data Memory Systems $188.00

Other World Computing $188.95

Steve

I use OWC they gurantee compatability!

Steve

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 04:37 PM

They are not too pricey right now, I payed $320 for one 512, and that was about a month ago. Now they're a lot cheaper. I have 640 installed now, and the performance is awesome compared to the 128 that came in my Ti 500. I absolutely love the extra RAM, and haven't run out since (came down to 50 megs available last night, that's the closest), even allocating (9.1) 256 to my Windows 98 "computer. Enjoy the breathing room.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 01:47 AM

I've got 768 in my Ti and the bottom slot has a thin 256 and the upper has a fat 512 in case anyone wondered if they would fit that way. As for speed increase I didn't really notice any between the 256 and 768 I have 768 in my G4 Tower too and it did notice a speed increase maybe because it has two processors BUT what I beleive is that the swap file made the difference.

If I open the process viewer [top] it is says my Ti has a 778M+44.5M Virtual Memory file. I think that this file on the hard drive being so large actually slows down the computer, so I would suggest if you don't need the RAM you probably will not see a speed increase, at least not on a powerbook with a laptop hard drive

tonton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2001, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by romeosc:
<STRONG>1-800-4-MEMORY $179.00
Boundless Technology $179.00
Data Memory Systems $188.00
Other World Computing $188.95 </STRONG>
Listen, I know about that. I get pricing notices from RamSeeker every day. Unfortunately, ALL OF THOSE MODULES ONLY CAN BE USED IN THE TOP SLOT, and only when combined with 256MB or less in the bottom slot. In other words, if you buy one of those modules, and later want to buy a bottom slot fitting 512MB module, you're out of luck. You're limited to 768MB until you replace your first, bigger 512MB module as well.

As I want to run 1GB, I paid the extra, to be sure that the module can work in ANY slot, in ANY combination.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

m_matsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 03:49 PM

tonton

I totally agree with you on this one. I'm in So Cal and have been over to Transintl just to check them out. I've watched them check ever chip that leaves the place, that's quality control at it's best. I've been using them for about a year now and have never had a problem with any of the chips for myself or any of the clients. I would rather pay a little more for better quality the less and maybe run into the headaches like the firmware fiasco. I am planning on upgrading to a gig as soon as a client sends the check!!! If a gig is over kill on this Ti book, I can always swap one and give it to the iBook. At least the chips will be able to fit in both slots. I know it will be better with 768 cause I just upgraded a G4 desktop and Photoshop and FCP 2.0 scream.

BTW, the prices on the Firewire drives aren't bad either.

Raman
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
<STRONG>

I use OWC they gurantee compatability!

Steve </STRONG>
Yeah, but when do they ship? I ordered 2 512's (in-stock) for my pismo on monday morning and it still hadn't shipped on tuesday.

If a store is going to tout having overnight shipping for cheap and everything, they could ship it out in a good amount of time. Or at least tell you "We won't ship it out for a few days even though it's in stock."

Had I known I'd have gone with another company and paid more $$ (like Outpost) who ships out same day and guarantees that you'll have it in your hands the next day (unless you place your order too late).

They didn't even answer their phones yesterday when I tried to call and ask if it was REALLY in stock and why hasn't it shipped out in 24 hours.

<�ig�>
Jul 5, 2001, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by tonton:
<STRONG>
Listen, I know about that. I get pricing notices from RamSeeker every day. Unfortunately, ALL OF THOSE MODULES ONLY CAN BE USED IN THE TOP SLOT, and only when combined with 256MB or less in the bottom slot. In other words, if you buy one of those modules, and later want to buy a bottom slot fitting 512MB module, you're out of luck. You're limited to 768MB until you replace your first, bigger 512MB module as well.

As I want to run 1GB, I paid the extra, to be sure that the module can work in ANY slot, in ANY combination.</STRONG>
Is this upper/lower slot thing about the THICKNESS of the modules and not about the height? Apple says TiBook can use modules with 1,5" or less HEIGHT. So it seems the thickness counts even more.

tonton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2001, 04:52 AM

It is the thickness which is the limiting factor in this case.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules