Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra 630 as server?

Quadra 630 as server?
denim
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2000, 03:08 PM

I've got this Quadra 630 sitting around being idle, and I'm wondering if it would make a decent server. I mean, for running something like MacBSD (or whatever) and News/mail/web. I figure to stick the 4GB drive I replaced in my beige G3 into the Quadra in place of its 270MB drive, but I don't know if the system's got enough power for this kind of thing.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

The Wolfe
Nov 6, 2000, 07:15 PM

I myself use a Quadra 630 as a redundant backup server, in tandem with my Performa 5200 - and it works great. I put my old 4GB IDE drive into the Quadra and everything works fine.

I have considered putting NetBSD onto the Quadra (it is completely compatible) but I also have two IIci's that are already running NetBSD, so the Quadra will probably remain as a MacOS based simple server.

System 8.1 runs the best (in my experiences) on this class machine - I have had the thing up and running for over three months now without a single crash, error or problem of any kind (I do daily backups of several hundred MB's at night). Ethernet cards for this machine cost about $29, and I believe can still be gotten at http://www.macworks.com

NetBSD is a very mature operating system on the 68k Macintosh platform, and there is every kind of software and servers available for it. The MacLinux68k project website (very extensive) use to be hosted entirely on a Quadra 630 running NetBSD, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. (http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/)

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2000, 09:08 PM

Yes, I'm aware of most of that. I already have a network card, and I've run MacBSD on this machine at times, but I've never actually done anything with it. So you're saying it's powerfull enough to actually act as a server? That'd be good!
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules