Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Philips CD-RW and Starmax/MacTell troubles

Philips CD-RW and Starmax/MacTell troubles
CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 12:24 AM

Hi all,

I've got my hands on a MacTell clone (200 MHz 603ev, aka Motorola 3000, aka Power Mac 4400) and I'm trying to install a CD-RW drive in it. I got my hands on a Philips CDRW 800 series (aka PCRW804) and I'd like to use that drive in the MacTell machine in place of the current IDE CD-ROM drive. Funny thing is, the drive won't work. It is not even recognized as being connected to the IDE bus at all. Nothing shows up in the System Profiler. I know the drive works; I tried it in my ADS Pyro case with my G4 and a spare PC I have and it works as a reader in both machines (and just barely as a burner with my G4). The MacTell just plain won't recognize it. And yes, I've checked all the jumpers and cables and everything. And no, it has nothing to do with extensions (at least as far as I can tell). Anyone have any ideas or should I just return the drive and get a Sony or other brand?

CyberDave

WillyB
Jul 4, 2001, 10:46 AM

According to the product description at Philips, the CDRW 800 is meant to be run under the windows 95/98/NT4,5 operating systems. There is no mention about Macintosh anywhere on their site according to the search engine there. Maybe you ought to return it.
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

CyberDave  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by WillyB:
<STRONG>According to the product description at Philips, the CDRW 800 is meant to be run under the windows 95/98/NT4,5 operating systems. There is no mention about Macintosh anywhere on their site according to the search engine there. Maybe you ought to return it.</STRONG>
True, but it *does* work with Toast 5 on my G4 (installed in an ADS Pyro Firewire case, not on the internal IDE bus, though). However, seeing as how it has yet to burn a disc that Toast could successfully verify, I think it's going back to the store later this week, to be replaced by a Sony drive, most likely (if I can get the one CompUSA had on sale).

CyberDave

Forum Links
Forum Rules