Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't install system software on 7100

Can't install system software on 7100
flimflam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 12:16 PM

I have a Power Mac 7100/80 which used to work fine. However, one day I got the Question mark on disk icon. So, I tried to reinstall OS 8.5, OS 8.1 and whenever I get ready to install the system software I get a window that says something akin to "This software cannot be installed on this computer. Please check user manual for more information." I, of course, checked the user manual which suggested that the drive might have an out of date driver. I reinitialized it updating the disk drver and that didn't do the trick. I'm still having the same problems. I even switched hard drives and I had the same problem with the new hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this?

Thanks

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2001, 02:18 PM

Yep, buy the retail versions of MacOS 8.5 or 8.1. The CDs you are trying to use are designed for the machines they came with, and won't install on different machines.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Forum Links
Forum Rules