Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Burning CD's & Mac Classic

Burning CD's & Mac Classic
Richard Clark
Senior User
Aug 13, 2001, 12:09 PM

A friend of mine has a Windows machine with a CD-R/RW drive. He called me the other night and asked to come over. I said sure. Come to find out he came over to burn CD's . He caught a virus on his machine and had to tottally rebuild his system TWICE in one month.

First thing I did was grab the track names from iTune which blew him away. It was so cool to see the look on his face. He didn't know that it was possible to do that. Then I popped a CD-R in and let er rip. I have Toast Titanium 5 and love it. He was shocked at how easy it was and fast.

If only more demonstrations like this could be shown to Windows users so they know how simpler their lives could be.

The second item is that I'm getting my very first computer back in a couple months - Mac Classic. It has4 MB RAM and a 40 MB HD. It's running 7.5.3 but I don't have the floppies anymore.

I should be able to network ethernet ???

What is the last OS version that will run decent on a Classic?

What uses could I and should I put the Classic to?

An no I don't want to make it into a fish bowl. My little four year olds would have too much fun with it.

heh!

Well, any ideas or comments would be great. Thank in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

-Q-
Aug 13, 2001, 02:02 PM

LowEnd Mac has a page that talks about some of the things you can do with a Classic (Aquarium is also one of the suggestions). According to LEM, it can run up to 7.5.5 comfortably, although YMMV.

You could possibly use it as a basic email machine (no web-based email but you could find an old old Eudora client or something to run) or a very nice paperweight.

Good luck!

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: -Q- ]

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2001, 05:32 PM

i prefer OS 7.1

The Mac Classic can be used for many things.

*set it by a phone and use it as a message center. (make sure you put a screen saver on it )
*Get a copy of Claris Works 4 and use it to type papers on, do simple finacial spreadsheets. A Database of all your CD's, video's, DVD's, address book, etc.

or just use it to goof around on.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules