Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New SCSI Hard Drive for Q 650

New SCSI Hard Drive for Q 650
sjaptec
Mar 20, 2000, 01:59 PM

We are looking for a new SCSI Hard Drive for our Q 650.

Any recommendations/user experience especially concerning reliability/low noise/low cost?

Also is it possible to use either a 68 pin SCSI or an 80 pin ultra SCSI HD with a Q 650
50 pin sys.

Thanks!

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2000, 02:19 PM

I've used both Seagate and IBM drives without problems in the past... I believe you can get a 9.1 GB IBM drive for under $200 anymore. I believe you can use a 68 pin or 80 pin drive with the Quadra provided you have the appropriate adaptor (68-50 pin or 80-50 pin... I know at least the 68-50 pin adaptor exists), but you won't get the "wide" or "ultra-wide" benefits (faster transfer rates). Typically these drives are somewhat more expensive than their 50 pin counterparts because of the fact that they have faster transfer rates... your Quadra would not be able to take advantage of it. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Chris

pabuckee
Mar 20, 2000, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by sjaptec:
We are looking for a new SCSI Hard Drive for our Q 650.

Any recommendations/user experience especially concerning reliability/low noise/low cost?

Also is it possible to use either a 68 pin SCSI or an 80 pin ultra SCSI HD with a Q 650
50 pin sys.

Thanks!
If you want to replace your original HD with one around the same size you can get a 540MB drive from Otherworld Computing for the rediculous sum of $39. Check it out.
They have larger drives also.

Tim Michael
Mar 21, 2000, 09:19 PM

Call OWC and tell them what you're trying to do, and they can sell you the right drive. Some 68-pin and 80-pin drives will not run on a Narrow (50-pin) SCSI system, so you need to make sure what you get will work. OWC is good people, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules