Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra 605

Quadra 605
trish95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 02:50 PM

Does anyone have an idea how I can get the restore disk for this computer?
It was given to me without them or the manuals. I have the manual because a wonderful group has led me to a site that had it. Only I couldn't get the files needed for a restore thing.
Thanks in advance.
Trish

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 04:57 PM

You could try eBay and do a search for them. I had to do that for my Mac LC520.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2002, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<STRONG>You can download the system disk images for System 7 from Apple. I believe up to 7.53 which is about all you'd want to run on this machine.

Then write them out and do your install from these. I have one at home, and it runs 7.6 just fine if you have access to it. There were no 'system restore' disks for the profession line of macs that I remember (the performas had them).</STRONG>
7.53?!?!?! I ran System 8 on my 605! hehe...

Actually the 605 had restore disks.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 01:44 PM

You can download the system disk images for System 7 from Apple. I believe up to 7.53 which is about all you'd want to run on this machine.

Then write them out and do your install from these. I have one at home, and it runs 7.6 just fine if you have access to it. There were no 'system restore' disks for the profession line of macs that I remember (the performas had them).

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
<STRONG>

7.53?!?!?! I ran System 8 on my 605! hehe...

Actually the 605 had restore disks.</STRONG>
I said 7.53 is all you would *want* to run on it, not that you couldn't run 8 on it!

Ok, maybe 7.61 would be ok and give you the better networking, but I think 8 would be pretty slow on it. In any case the free solution is to look on the net. Legal solutions exist from apple and you'd have to look elsewhere if you don't have system 7.6 or 8 on your own.

Thanks for the clarification on the restore disk though. I skipped over that gen of macs when I was in school. Basically went from IIsi to Quadra 700s and 840AVs. Then onto the PPC models. Good luck anyhoo!

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2002, 04:53 AM

7.5.3 is available, along with the 7.5.5 update. I would seriously looki into acquiring a copy of 7.6.1 from ebay or another source. 7.6 would do and then download the 7.6.1 update from Apple.

I do not actively recommend running anything lower than 7.6.1 on any 68k machine. I have havd excellent experience with 7.6.1 on just about all older hardware I have ever put it on. Even a IIci.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2002, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<STRONG>I said 7.53 is all you would *want* to run on it, not that you couldn't run 8 on it!</STRONG>
Actually, 8.1 runs on it and is the OS i'd recommend. Faster and fewer bugs than 7.x. Btw, 7.5.5 was a better release than previous versions (many bug fixes). 7.6 was better. But 8.1 has more to offer and every bit as stable on this CPU.

Had a Quadra 605 for many years before passing it off to a family member; it's still in use around here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules