Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Remote control

Remote control
MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 7, 2000, 06:05 PM

My Performa 630CD and my 5200 each have IR "ports" on the front, but neither came with a remote control. It was my understanding that with a remote, I could control the CD player and the TV tuner (5200's got one). Can I use any universal remote? Do I need an Apple remote? If so, does anyone here have one they want to part with?
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

infiniti
Aug 9, 2000, 01:47 AM

All right, I just pulled out Mac Secrets, so here's the info:

The 630CD's TV system shipped with a Sony RMC-A1 remote control, but in my experience (with a Performa 6400) a Sony audio system's remote control works just as well. I don't have the TV/Video system, but the power and volume buttons work as they should. A Sony TV remote may work as well, but I cannot confirm this.

The Apple remotes are nice and (relatively) small, and are well suited to their task, as they were designed by Apple. However, you should have success with some Sony remotes.

Good luck,
infiniti
12" iBook 900

MacOS761  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2000, 11:55 AM

Hmmm... thanks a bunch. Maybe with that info I can program a universal remote to work like a Sony remote. I'll post what I find out.

The Wolfe
Aug 9, 2000, 04:59 PM

I got my Universal All-in-One remote to work with my Performa 5215CD using the Sony codes. Now I'm wondering why I did it.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2000, 05:02 PM

because it is there, and because you can

MacOS761  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2000, 10:20 PM

Hey, that's kinda cool� not very useful in my sitch, but it's fun to explore (lon's got the idea). I can't control both the CD player and the TV tuner with the same settings, which makes sense, but it is a pain. Plus, to make it play Track 11, I have to press the Enter button, then "1". It wouldn't take "1" then "1" again. Kinda strange that way, but I see how that would be a pain to program. For my remote, codes 443 and 444 worked with the CD player; I don't know if those codes are standard numbers or not (i.e. those may or may not be the right codes for a different universal remote). Code 115 worked for the TV, but the numbers were all screwed up (1 registered as 9, 2 as 0, etc.). Other codes had similar problems. I also noticed that sometimes button presses would get read twice, which is bad on the CD player with the Stop button, because if you press it twice (on the remote) it ejects the CD. Anyway, that's what I found out. Cool...

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!

Forum Links
Forum Rules