Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > A sick SE/30...

A sick SE/30...
partok799
Aug 14, 2000, 03:18 PM

Hello,

My SE/30 Mac recently suffered a crash. I hooked it up to my PB3400 and the SE/30 hardrive (barely) mounted on the PB's desktop. In the "Special" menu I selected "Erase disk". And thus the corrupted SE/30 H.D. was erased. I then re-installed OS 7.1 and the SE will mount on the Powerbooks desktop. When I open the SE's hard drive icon it shows that it has the OS 7.1 installed on it.
Yet when I try to restart the SE/30 it cannot find the OS that's on it's Hard drive. What am I doing wrong?

Brad

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2000, 07:12 PM

The driver on the hard drive is too new for 7.1 to understand.

By choosing erase from your more current system, I'm sure it update the driver.

If you can get the older HD SC Setup program to run on your 3400 - try that and go to the menu item - install driver.

Good luck!

drewman

partok799
Aug 15, 2000, 10:21 AM

Thank you Drewman. Your advice did help. I decided to start from dead scratch with the SE's HD. I got it to mount on my PB 3400/240 and using DiskSetup did a low level format of the SE's 40mb HD. This of coarse deleted the driver that was too new. (I had tried HD Toolkit 4.0 & the latest version of HD Setup to install drivers on the SE and neither driver worked.)
So, from an image of 7.0.1's DiskTools I ran it's "Apple HD SC Setup". Which I used to put a driver on the SE. Then I was left with a blank HD w/ this older driver on it. I then started the SE off of a DiskCopy floppy I made of that 7.0.1 DiskTools image.
But this time something different happened when I started off of this floppy. The SE's HD appeared on the floppy's desktop! Ahh! I finally got in! I was then allowed to remove the floppy I started off of. And could then use the OS 7.0.1 install floppies and thus got the OS back onto the SE's HD. And now it will start without the aid of a floppy once again!

Thanks again, Brad :-)

rosssanford
Aug 15, 2000, 11:05 AM

partok799:

I too have the same problem, but have not been able to install the right disk drivers. Where did you get you copy of HD Setup?

Also, I do not have a PB, but I have a 7500/100 (upgraded to a G3). Can I get the SE/30 to mount on the 7500/100?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2000, 03:04 PM

Pardon my comments, but what is anyone doing using an SE/30? Actually, I got a hold of the SE/Classic Upgrade/Repair book. It was funny.

Just wondering,

brad
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

rosssanford
Aug 15, 2000, 04:50 PM

I have had mine since college and have used it for word processing, email and even browsing the Internet. It is fun to see how much the Mac has changed in the last 10 years...

I got brave earlier this year and bought a used SE/30 for spare parts. I also found a color video adapter and can have dual displays (just like my 7500, but not like my iMac).

I guess they are just fun to tinker with because they have already lived a very useful and rewarding life!

Eh nony mouz
Aug 15, 2000, 11:40 PM

Is it possible that you formatted the SE/30's drive using HFS+? That would explain why it didn't show up on boot. Would also explain why it showed up on the PowerBook's desktop.

partok799
Aug 16, 2000, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by rosssanford:
I have had mine since college and have used it for word processing, email and even browsing the Internet. It is fun to see how much the Mac has changed in the last 10 years...

I got brave earlier this year and bought a used SE/30 for spare parts. I also found a color video adapter and can have dual displays (just like my 7500, but not like my iMac).

I guess they are just fun to tinker with because they have already lived a very useful and rewarding life!
- - - -

rosssanford, I couldn't have said it better myself! - partok799

partok799
Aug 16, 2000, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by rosssanford:
partok799:

I too have the same problem, but have not been able to install the right disk drivers. Where did you get you copy of HD Setup?

Also, I do not have a PB, but I have a 7500/100 (upgraded to a G3). Can I get the SE/30 to mount on the 7500/100?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
rosssanford, I got HD Setup program thats called "Apple HD SC Setup" off of the Disk Tools image that comes with downloading OS 7.0.1 from Apple's site. Email me if you'd like a copy.
Yes, you can mount your SE on the Desktop of your 7500/100. Just buy the appropriate cable and connect the 2 scsi ports of the 2 computers. Of coarse, make sure the scsi i.d. numbers are different. And of coarse the HD of the SE must be working.

partok799

partok799
Aug 16, 2000, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Eh nony mouz:
Is it possible that you formatted the SE/30's drive using HFS+? That would explain why it didn't show up on boot. Would also explain why it showed up on the PowerBook's desktop.
Eh nony mouz, (I like the name BTW) I did check into that possibility. Each time I would start HD Setup on my PB3400 to work on the connected SE/30, it would default to initialize the SE using HFS+. I just changed the prefs for HD Setup so it didn't do that anymore.
Partok799

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2000, 06:16 PM

Even if it was formatted in HFS+, the format has a regular HFS wrapper partition that mounts with a readme file that explains that you have mounted a HFS+ drive and can't access it without 8.1,etc.

It was the driver. Played with lots of SE/30's over the years - once had one setup as my internet firewall.

drewman

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2000, 07:36 PM

rosssanford, I got HD Setup program thats called "Apple HD SC Setup" off of the Disk Tools image that comes with downloading OS 7.0.1 from Apple's site. Email me if you'd like a copy.
Yes, you can mount your SE on the Desktop of your 7500/100. Just buy the appropriate cable and connect the 2 scsi ports of the 2 computers. Of coarse, make sure the scsi i.d. numbers are different. And of coarse the HD of the SE must be working.

partok799
YIKES! Do NOT ever do that! There's a very good chance of blowing out the SCSI controllers on both computers if you do.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2000, 08:09 PM

I agree that hooking together SCSI ports usually isn't the best course, but a 3400 is setup to do SCSI disk mode with the right kind of cable.

I have a feeling that Apple engineers safeguarded the hookup in case one used the wrong cable between the desktop and the 3400.

Having said that, take the hard drive out and put it in an external case or buy a SCSI connector to internal ribbon cable and just use the power connector from the SE/30.

drewman

kenkl
Sep 2, 2000, 08:07 AM

Exactly... the hardware in 3400 was definitely designed to connect with another Mac's SCSI chain...

After all, it's not a PeeCee....

Forum Links
Forum Rules