Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > firewire g3 disk has bad blocks

firewire g3 disk has bad blocks
randy stewart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 12:50 PM

pretty much summed it up in the header. in the last few days, my HD on my Powerbook G3 (firewire) has been making a clicking noise. As i was copying some files over to another disk, try as i might, it would not let me copy certain files and it would just sit there and click 4 times in quick succession.

i bought norton utilities to see what the problem was and it came up with this "bad blocks" error and cannot seem to fix it. this hasn't affected anything other than copying files, but I'm concerned that this problem will get worse. can anyone help?

other system pertinents:

running OSX 10.1.3
when using norton - 9.2.1
external firewire HD - which i'm attempting to fix the internal drive with

thanks,
randy stewart

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2002, 08:48 PM

If its making noises, its a good bet your drive will eventually die. In some cases, drives last for several months after making the noise, while in others it may only be a few hours. The best thing to do is probably to copy what you can from it and reformat the disk and see if that helps. You might also want to try another utility such as tech tool before doing this, and see if it helps at all. In any case, backup what you can as soon as possible. THen you can try and figure out weather its a bad drive or just disk errors.

Also, you'd be better off posting this in the powerbook section, you will recieve more responses there.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules