Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Viewable Area on Performa "all-in-one"

Viewable Area on Performa "all-in-one"
Gregg
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2000, 01:42 PM

It seems to me that I was able to increase my screen "real estate" once before, but I've lost track of how to do it. Of course, there are no monitor controls on the outside, so it had to be a software tweek. Since I upgraded to 7.5.3 I have lost the edge that I had gained previously. Does anyone know how to stretch that desktop all the way to the edge?
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

The Wolfe
Sep 21, 2000, 03:46 PM

I take it you're talking about the 5200 series all-in-one Performa's. This should apply to the 500 series Performa's as well (although they're not PowerPC). Both models are not considered AppleVision displays, so they are not configurable via the software controls (like on an iMac, for instance). They're may have been a screen resizing tool included with the original system software that shipped on these machines, but I don't remember any such tool and it would probably be incompatible with current system software anyway. The 5200 series computers can have their screen size adjusted, but you have to take the case apart and off.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Cipher13
Sep 22, 2000, 07:46 AM

Its the same on my 5500 (all 5xxx series PPC's as well).
I have never bothered fixing it - however, on the back of the computer, there are two holes - they control vertical position and horizontal position of the screen. You need a special tool to change that.
This is off the top of my head, so I'm not sure - are there any other such controls on the computer? I'll check mine when I get a chance.

Cipher13

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 23, 2000, 07:35 PM

Please check the boards before posting new questions folks - this is only a few posts old:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000387.html

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Gregg  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2000, 04:17 PM

Thanks, but that's not quite the same thing. While the original question is similar, the answer provided by The Wolfe only addresses the question of positioning, not increasing the viewable area. Your offer to identify an Apple utility is good for those who want to communicate by e-mail, but not for those of us who prefer to keep it here.

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules