Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9600 Hard Drive Upgrade advice

9600 Hard Drive Upgrade advice
instigator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 01:59 PM

Hello all,
I'm looking to add a second internal hard drive in my 9600 soon and have researched a few options. I'm gonna go with an internal IDE drive (IBM Deskpro) with an ATA/66 PCI card. Here are my questions:

1) Where can I physically install the drive? I know I have two external bays free. Can I install it anywhere else, like internally on the floor of the machine or something?

2) Will I need to purchase any drive sleds or anything to install?

Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated, as would any walkthroughs or web page links where such an install is illustrated.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

Allah
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2001, 05:06 PM

I'm not familiar with the 9600 case but if it's like an 8500 that has plastic frame with slots then yes, you will need a drive sled. If not then install it with tiny screws. You can install it anywhere a empty drive space is the only constraint being is the connecting ribbon long enough. As to installing it on the floor of the machine I believe it should be grounded in some manner (like screwed to the frame).
Carp� Bandwidth

GLT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 04:26 AM

Read your other post.
Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules