Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pro Keyboar only talks english with 8600?

Pro Keyboar only talks english with 8600?
Yobert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 05:43 PM

But I am german and the Apple Pro Keyboard, too. The keyboard uses the usb-port of an usb-pci-card and it works fine � except for the language: it "speaks" american (for example: if I press the "Z"-key the mac displays an "Y" and vice versa). :-)

Well, I tried to solve the problem by updating the usb-drivers and the input-sprockets to german drivers. With no success. I also asked this question in a german forum, but nobody knew how to solve this problem.

No here I am, still with this problem.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Yobert
relax.

Gabriel Morales
Jan 29, 2001, 01:34 AM

So, you have a German version of the Apple Pro keyboard and it still insists on "being American"? Hmm, I don't know.- Have you called Apple (Is it still inder warranty)?

Are you using the USB keyboard as your main keyboard, though? Be careful, as I bought an Apple Pro keyboard for my 8600 too, and though it works, it can't do a (command-control-reset) restart or force quit an application. In fact, I can't even turn off extensions at start up because the card activates too late in the startup sequence.

------------------
Gabriel Morales http://GabrielMorales.net/

Yobert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 03:32 AM

Yes, I phoned Apple and the keyboard is still under waranty. But neither does Apple know how to fix that problem, because they don't support their USB-products being used with USB-PCI-cards, nor do I think that I will need the warranty, because I will be an owner of a new powerbook in a short time (as I hope) and then I think it should work.

You say your keyboard can't do the command-control-reset function. How could it lacking a power-key?

Thanks for your ideas!

Yobert
relax.

- - -
Jan 29, 2001, 12:24 PM

You might want to check out "www.macnews.de".

They don't offer a solution, but know about the problem.

Originally posted by Yobert:
Yes, I phoned Apple and the keyboard is still under waranty. But neither does Apple know how to fix that problem, because they don't support their USB-products being used with USB-PCI-cards, nor do I think that I will need the warranty, because I will be an owner of a new powerbook in a short time (as I hope) and then I think it should work.

You say your keyboard can't do the command-control-reset function. How could it lacking a power-key?

Thanks for your ideas!

Yobert

Yobert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 12:53 PM

Funny that you mention them. That's where I usually am and where noone knew an answer. :-)

But I hope to get a patch this evening. So thanks to all for your help!

Yobert
relax.

Gabriel Morales
Feb 5, 2001, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by Yobert:
Apple's decided to remove the power key. I'm not exactly sure why, but it might be for greater USB compatibility (I read of some problems hooking up the older Apple USB keyboard to a hub and such before) or because Apple expects most users to leave desktop Macs on most of the time since the sleep mode uses so little power, also the iMac and G4 Cube already have the power key right near the user.

So, you bought a PowerBook G4?! Congratulations to you! It should definitely work with the PowerBook.

------------------
Gabriel Morales http://GabrielMorales.net/

Forum Links
Forum Rules