Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Replacing the Finder with another APP

Replacing the Finder with another APP
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 05:50 PM

OK, I'm trying to make a SYSTEM 7.1 Bootable floppy that runs the distributed.net client, so I can run the client on older macs without hard drives (noise and electricity). I would seem to have succeeded except I can't get the computer to recognize my dnet client as the finder. It booted the Mac fine originally, but when i replaced the finder with a Dnet app named "Finder", the machine wouldn't recognize it. I then changed the file type and creator type to match that of the real finder, but that still didn't help. Just as I'm typing this, I wonder if this is the problem, the faceless version of the app is a bit smaller than the regular one, and space is so tight, I didn't have enough to use the 'faced' one, so I had to use the faceless, is that the reason it won't boot the machine?

Somewhat related... If anyone knows alot about the guts of the system suitcase... if you can tell me how I can trim it down, maybe delete resources I don't need to do the only two things this machine is going to do, sustain an internet connection over LocalTalk, and run dnet, that would also help. If I could get a 7.5 system folder down small enough, that would let me use copies of this floppy on many more types of macs.
Probably should have put this in two different threads, but oh well.

Hey, wanna see my home network?
There are more computer I plan to add to both branches, but I wanna make them all work first so as to keep the percentage of not working computers to working computers down real low uhm yeah

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2001, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
<STRONG>OK, I'm trying to make a SYSTEM 7.1 Bootable floppy that runs the distributed.net client, so I can run the client on older macs without hard drives (noise and electricity). I would seem to have succeeded except I can't get the computer to recognize my dnet client as the finder. It booted the Mac fine originally, but when i replaced the finder with a Dnet app named "Finder", the machine wouldn't recognize it. I then changed the file type and creator type to match that of the real finder, but that still didn't help. Just as I'm typing this, I wonder if this is the problem, the faceless version of the app is a bit smaller than the regular one, and space is so tight, I didn't have enough to use the 'faced' one, so I had to use the faceless, is that the reason it won't boot the machine?

</STRONG>
To me it sounds like a situation where the NoFinder application could be of some use. NoFinder has been written by Ricardo Batista in 1991, it is copyrighted by Apple.

NoFinder is just 20 k or so in size. It allows you to quit the true Finder and launch and terminate processes (i.e., applications). In these terms, the Finder is just another application.

Also, in the old days even before 1991 there was a way to replace the Finder (remember, System 6 was ruling) with HyperCard. Using a properly prepared Home Stack, you could do some more things than just open and quit applications.

Best regards,

Walter.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Walter J. Ferstl ]

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 07:47 PM

The point is that there is not room on the disk for the Finder, the system and dnet take up all the space

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2001, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
<STRONG>Somewhat related... If anyone knows alot about the guts of the system suitcase... if you can tell me how I can trim it down, maybe delete resources I don't need to do the only two things this machine is going to do, sustain an internet connection over LocalTalk, and run dnet, that would also help. If I could get a 7.5 system folder down small enough, that would let me use copies of this floppy on many more types of macs.
Probably should have put this in two different threads, but oh well.
</STRONG>
Using ResEdit, you could remove some of the graphical resources from the system file, like some of the PICT and icon resources (be careful, of course). But this method will take you only so far, i.e., not many Kb to be gained, I think. The system suitcase of a System 7.5.3 (not a U.S.-english version) on one of my hard disks is 2.7 MB in size. A US-version is probably smaller, but not much smaller.

A better way might me to take one of the emergency startup floppies that have been provided by Apple (utilities disk), early Norton and Lacie/SilverLining versions and to start experimenting with them, replacing some of the contents step by step. Remember, for many Macs between 1990 and 1995 you need a machine-specific enabler file.

Good luck,

Walter.

P.S. On an older machine (7300/166) running 7.6.1, I have just tried NoFinder by quitting and relaunching the Finder. It worked nicely. Maybe you can build a lean startup floppy with NoFinder on it instead of the original Finder. Let me know.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Walter J. Ferstl ]

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 08:22 PM

I have enough memory to run the finder, the problem is there isn't enough room on teh disk for it. And the disk won't boot without it.

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2001, 09:16 PM

hi.

I had this problem with repair utils. So I got two "finders". One is called "FaberFinder", and is 2.8k. The other is "ShortFinder" at 24k. There are others, but these are the best (in my opinion). just search the net and download them. "substitute" and " Silverlining Pro SOS" also exist, but arent very useful.

btw, you have to change the app's creator/type codes to MACS/FNDR, to match the system's finder.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
<STRONG>
btw, you have to change the app's creator/type codes to MACS/FNDR, to match the system's finder.</STRONG>
I did didn't you read my first post

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 09:49 PM

Does anyon ehave this FaberFinder program?
I found the web site, and they have links to supposably 100 mirror sites, and i tried site after site for about a half hour and not ONE of them is still up. Does anyone have this thing lying around somewehre?

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 06:23 AM

The following web page has a list of mini-finder programs(at the bottom of the page). And fortunately, the download link of FaberFinder still works.

http://www.accesscom.com/~gamba/bootdisks.html

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: MacMonster ]

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: MacMonster ]

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 10:21 PM

OK I got FaberFinder and it works, now for some reason, Dnet won't startup with it, its very odd. I have to play with it more before I figure anything out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules