Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Who can upgrade a 6200???

Who can upgrade a 6200???
Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2001, 03:18 PM

I've looked through a few upgrade sites, but none of the matrixes include the 6200... I'm sure it's very similar to other models that are upgradeable, but just wasn't listed because of how many variations there were... does anyone know?? Thanks!
Grrr...rawr.

<SpinyNorman>
Oct 16, 2001, 03:52 PM

This series is notoriously UN-upgradeable. Don't waste your effort. If you want newer/better, pick up a beige G3 for $200 or so. Much cheaper RAM, waaay more RAM capacity, nearly twice the bus speed, PCI slots and much more. And if you can find some sucker on eBay to take your 6200 for $75 or so, it's an even better deal.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2001, 04:42 PM

It's true. Not only is it non-upgradeable, but its motherboard was a bit of a dog too, from what I understand.

I have a 6200 with a non-working CD sitting in my closet. I was thinking of just selling the keyboard, external modem, monitor, SCSI Zip drive, and mouse at our local Apple consignment place. Oh, and maybe the RAM... I thought maybe I could do better by selling the peripherals than by trying to sell the whole thing together.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2001, 04:54 PM

My 6220 has a defective PDS slot (of course that is not covered by warranty, even though most of them were defective).

Totally un upgradeable...

mine is now a spare word processing computer in my closet (since it has a printer)

Mongrel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2001, 11:08 PM

Alright, thanks for your responses. That's kinda what I was afraid of...
eh, not mine anyway
Grrr...rawr.

Forum Links
Forum Rules