Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Power Mac 5500 video upgrade.

Power Mac 5500 video upgrade.
Seagull
Dec 15, 1999, 09:43 AM

Hello all...
I have a Power Macintosh 5500/225 and I am wondering if anyone have added a video card to the available 7" PCI video card. I am interested in finding out which card work on this Mac and also whether the Voodoo 3 cards could be use well with this Mac. Your reports would be appreciated.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 1999, 03:28 PM

Any 7 inch PCI card will work. Of course, a card can only be connected to an external monitor.

tooki

Seagull
Dec 20, 1999, 08:30 PM

Of course, any additional video card have to be connect to another monitor apart from the built-in one. But I am not so sure about any card will work. Some cards, like the ATI Orion, for example, may have compatibility problems or requiring more processing power. Be careful before buying I think should be the approach.

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 01:50 AM

3dfx and ATi should have compatibility lists on thier website. i would recommend the Rage Orion ($149.99) but also, besure to find out the physical dimensions of any card you want to buy, make sure it will fit. if it won't, either find a different one or transplant your computer into a PC case.

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Seagull
Jan 1, 2000, 11:42 AM

ATI does mention that their Rage Orion can be use with the Power Mac 6500 and 6400 but no mention at all about the Power Mac 5500. Because the Power Mac 5500 has a built-in monitor, I am not sure about compatibility. 3dfx made no mention at all about the compatibility of its cards with this particular Mac model or similar models. As to the size of the card, I am sure that all 7" PCI cards should fit. Anyone who is familiar with this Mac model would knows, the idea of putting the logic board into a PC case is not possible nor anyone could want to.

Seagull
Jan 9, 2000, 03:44 AM

Good news! I have installed the Voodoo3 2000 and it works fine. I connected it to a Mitsubishi Diamond View 177ie 17" monitor and it provides some very high screen resolutions. With the currrent beta 10 drivers, the card works similar to the built-in ATI card in general usage. 3D games works much better, of course. RAVE mode is not yet supported, the RAVE file from the Voodoo2 does not work. Obviously, the drivers needs some improvement, but I think it's a good affordable piece of hardware to extend the use of this Mac model.
By the way, you can search for the drivers by typing in something like "Voodoo" into the search engine at www.versiontracker.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules