Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > network w/kid's computer

network w/kid's computer
Kristina
Dec 16, 1999, 03:12 PM

I have forgotten how to network my PowerMac 6100/60 + G3 accelerator with my kid's Mac IIci...I had a laserwrter ntx but now have Epson 740...the kid has the IIci all messed up and need to run Norton...the menu bar reads upside down and mirrored...I want to load some new stuff...the disk drive doesn't go either...not yet a boat anchor but close...

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2000, 04:21 PM

easiest way for you is gonna be "sneaker-net" with an external hard drive or removable, like a zip/jaz/syquest/orb.

6100 has no ethernet and appletalk is hideously slow(floppy speeds)

i have built a diagnostic disk on a zip which includes a minimal system with disk first aid and drive setup, norton and techtool pro for just such situations as you describe

btw, the toolbar problem sounds like the vertical size on the MONITOR is too high. this is adjusted on the monitor itself, not system software. find a knob or small hole in monitor to adjust with a small flat screwdriver or try a different monitor

[This message has been edited by zac4mac (edited 01-02-2000).]

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2000, 11:30 PM

zac4mac is wrong. 6100 does have ethernet, but is in AAUI form. You have to buy a transceiver (about $25) to go from AAUI to whatever connection you want-most likely Cat-5 ethernet wire.

A used ethernet card for a IIci can be found from free to about $15 online or elsewhere. Get a crossover Cat-5 cable to connect the two and make sure Appletalk is pointing at ethernet and filesharing on on at least one of the Macs.

drewman

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2000, 09:59 PM

AUII to 10base ethernet transcivers are very cheap, i bought to on ebay both for under $20

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2000, 06:22 PM

thanks drewman
never had a 6100 and thought with the size of the box it didnt have ethernet. next time i'll check apple specs before shooting off my mouth.
well i was half right...IIci has NO ethernet
back to sneakernet

[This message has been edited by zac4mac (edited 01-14-2000).]

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2000, 04:48 PM

The reversed menu bar etc. sounds very virus like (assuming the monitor isn't all flickery), so I wouldn't go connecting it to another machine.

Try copying disinfectant (I know it's not an up-to-date new virus killer, but it sounds like an old virus) onto a floppy and running it on the "infected" machine first.
It could also be a Joke extension, so try booting the machine with extensions off by holding down shift when you restart it. If it works fine, you'll have to go through the extensions folder to find any unusual extensions (or use the extensions manager if your version of the OS supports it).

Oops. didn't notice the lack of a working disk drive... Try the extensions off startup anyway, and try connecting a SCSI zip to get disinfectant running.

[This message has been edited by Zwilnik (edited 01-18-2000).]
Aaron

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2000, 04:52 PM

Agax, a more up-to-date free virus protection app: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~s2191331/agax/agax.html

and WormScanner: http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/worm.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules