Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Turbomax and MP3 problem.

Turbomax and MP3 problem.
milocat
Jan 4, 2000, 06:17 PM

I just installed a turbomax ide card into my PCP 210 with a western digital 17GB drive. everything went very smoothly. yet somehow, when i play mp3's that rest on
the new drive, it skips. when i play mp3s on my regular drive, its fine. anyone has any ideas?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2000, 11:14 PM

It could be that you don't have an AV class IDE drive. The non-AV class of drives can do a 'thermal recalibration' in the middle of data transfers. An AV class drive waits until the channel is idle to do a recalibration.

More and more drives (even really cheap ones) are AV class, so it makes your problem interesting. Have you tried a different PCI slot for the TurboMax? What other cards are installed? If there are others, remove them and see if the PCI bus was being swamped.

What utility did you use to format the drive? How big is your disk cache?

Does the MP3 skip at the same point of the song? If so, the data transfer from your internal to the external could be getting corrupted.

If all else fails, try returning the hard drive first, and then returning the card. You may have received one or the other that is borderline operational.

Just the things off the top of my head.

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 01-04-2000).]

Matt
Jan 5, 2000, 10:05 AM

The TurboMax is incompatible with streaming audio/video on all pre-G3 systems. This is a known problem, but one not widely advertised by ProMax. See http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/

milocat
Jan 5, 2000, 07:48 PM

thanks for the replys. i read that review and am pretty disheartened. since mp3 playback was pretty much the sole reason i got the dang card and drive in the first place. boo hoo... if anyone has a work around, i'd love to know about it.

Matt
Jan 5, 2000, 09:27 PM

There is an article at XLR8your mac that discusses a possible work around (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/issue35.html). Also, it is possible that attaching two drives (one to each channel) and creating a RAID, you might be able to overcome the hardware limitations of the TurboMax. You'd need specialized software to do this, and compatibility might be an issue. See http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/ide_raid.html.

Good luck!

milocat
Jan 11, 2000, 04:10 AM

Hi Matt. i took a look at that article and shot over to www.softraid.com as well. after some careful reading, i really couldn't decifer what exactly was needed. can i simply buy softraid and use it to partition my IDE drive and run a RAID on those partitions? meaning run a RAID with only 1 drive? that doesn't seem to make sense.

if Matt or anyone can help shed some light on this, i would really appreciate it.

thanks everyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules