Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Second hard drive in a 7600

Second hard drive in a 7600
jds2
Jan 10, 2000, 12:49 PM

Hello-
I was looking for info on how to install a second hard drive in my 7600, hardware and instructions. I've looked around the web but have found nothing useful. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
jds2

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2000, 09:53 PM

Well, i have a 7500, and for ME to add another HD, i simply slide it in. Mine has 2 internal bays that take any SCSI-2 hard drives. It is Very easy to install, you simply pull the cover off the computer, and then slide the HD in and plug the two plugs in. I have a 7500, not a 7600, but there's a very good chance they are exactly the same. Hope this helps some.
John

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2000, 05:25 PM

true IOO8 but in order to slide it in you have to get a drive sled if you don't have one already. any mac supplier can get them, for 5-10 bucks i think. simply mount the new drive below the existing one and plug it into the extra connector on the ribbon going to the old drive and connect power. pay attention to connector polarity, they are keyed. power up and initialize with apple drive setup or FWB or LaCie silverlining

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2000, 06:03 PM

One other thing - make sure to set the jumper pins to a unique ID (other than zero or seven and whatever other SCSI devices (CD is #3) or scanners, Jaz, Zip, etc.

I assume (don't know) when ATA or IDE drives were first used - in which case the issue is setting 2nd drive to "slave" on that bus.

The Blue G3 rev 2 has two buses for ATA and can have master (CD) and slave Zip (100 or 250), and another bus for master disk drive and a 2nd slave drive. I use the 2nd slave drive for a new, faster ATA/66 and the original for backup.

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules