Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6400 modem problems

6400 modem problems
E
Jan 3, 2000, 07:31 AM

I have a performa power mac 6400. I am running 8.5.1. My system does fine until I get online. I have a geoport teleport modem. I am using Netscape 3.0.4, (only because when I use the latest Communicator, I have even MORE problems). I have had alot of Java errors while online. When I get into sites that have sound or huge amounts of graphics my system freezes. This also happens sometimes when I copy several addresses from my address book to send emails. When my system freezes, I have to manually restart.

I upgraded to 8.5 because I thought that would help. I also updated my quicktime to 4.0 and this doesn't seem to have helped either. When I got this computer, I had other modem problems, but those problems were fixed. Tech support recommends it is my server, but I changed servers and it hasn't helped. What can I do to fix this?

Head
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2000, 08:58 PM

The geoport modem in the 6400 is one of the worst things Apple did. I had similar problems with my 6400. Everytime I played a particular game over the internet, my modem would disconnect on me.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the geoport modem is mostly a software modem. The problem with this is that if you run a CPU intensive process, then the modem software doesn't get enough processing power to keep going and you usually lose your connection, or worse, your machine crashes.

My solution was to rip out the geoport modem and buy a real hardware modem. When you rip out the geoport modem, you then free up the modem port (which is covered by a plastic tab) so you can use that port for an external modem.

~Head
~Head

It's not the size of your head, but what you do with it that counts.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2000, 08:56 AM

Likewise. I took out the geoport modem in an old 6400 to solve reliability problems when running midi sequencers. The modem wasn't used much anyway, and taking it out gives you a spare serial port (for an extra midi interface in this case). It also means you can put a nice 56k modem on the machine.
Aaron

E
Jan 17, 2000, 09:42 AM

Hey everyone!

I want to thank you all for your input and advice. I got a new modem (external) and everything is working beautifully! I sure wish I had done this a year ago. My, how I could have avoided all the headaches...

Thanks a million!

E

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2000, 10:00 AM

THIS IS A REPOST/CONSOLIDATION OF POSTS DUE TO A DUPLICATE POSTING BY AUTHOR OF TOPIC

zac4mac
Member posted 01-04-2000 02:31 PM ��� ���� ��
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my best advice at this point is try a different modem. i have never used geoport and don't know that i trust it's reliability. find someone with an external 28.8 or 33.6 and try it. if your problems go away, make your move accordingly.
IP: Logged

allensis
Junior Member posted 01-04-2000 09:38 PM ��� ���� ��
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been using a 28.8 GeoPort on my PM6500 without too much difficulty. Though I wish it were faster. I am running OS 8.6 with Open Transport and Remote Access, using the standard GeoPort script for the modem.
Have you tried the CNG script, it can help with finicky ISPs?
Are you sure you did a clean install of the system while booting off a CD? This makes a huge difference on these machines.
Also, download the latest Geoport sw from apple. It is at version 3.1.3, and although they claim there are no changes, I suspect this update is specifically for OS 8.5+.
Here is the web site... http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11132
Plus make sure you are using the latest Open Transport install.
Also, be sure to choose "remote only" in Appletalk, to avoid conflicts on the serial port with your printer.
Hope this helps.
joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules