Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Older ethernet equiped Macs with New...

Older ethernet equiped Macs with New...
Dev
Jan 27, 2000, 12:32 AM

I recently noticed an interesting quirk on my ethernet 10 base T network. I have 3 G3's an 8500, 8100, 2 Gateways, router and a network printer on a LAN. File sharing works wonderfully between the G3's and the 8500 as does the Gateways between themselves. But when I log into the 8100 from any of the Mac's the 8100 throughput is degraded, it does not want to send data continuously (rather, it sputters) in either direction BUT when I log into any of the Macs FROM the 8100 data throughput is perfect at 300+k/sec. I deleted all the appletalk/share pref's, rebuilt the HD's desktop's and verified all my cables with a Pentascanner to 100Mhz etc etc... But the problem is not cured. My guess to the problem is that the other Mac's have 100base T network adapters and they have problems deciding on a speed in which to communicate to the 8100 but when the 8100 is in charge of the data transfer it decides the speed. I beleive the 8500 is only 10 base T so Im in a quandry on that one. If anybody has experienced this problem and has found a cure please let me know. In the meantime I will only transfer data to and from the 8100 using the 8100.

Cheers!

Dev

Keda
Senior User
Jan 27, 2000, 10:46 AM

Doesnt the 8100 need an AAUI adapter to network with these other computers? Maybe that is causing a problem.

What sys are the Macs using-particularly the 8100? We have a similair set up ( PeeCee, G4/3, 8500's, 8100's, 6100's), but have not experienced this type of slow down. BTW 8500 is 10BT & AAUI.

Is your hub 10/100?

Dev
Jan 29, 2000, 04:08 AM

Yes the 8100 is AAUI, I have not changed out the adapter. The 8100 is system 7.5.1 for compatibility with my Targa 2000 and Silicon Express IV. The Hub is 10 base T only. The 8500's and G3's are Sys 8.5 to 9.0. If my memory serves me right the 8100 did work at proper speeds when the network was first put in place but I didnt use the 8100 as a file server very often, now that I archive data on the 8100 I see the problem because I am loging into it, still odd while speeds are fine while using the 8100 to log into the other machines. I will have to swap out the transeiver and see if that helps. I should have thought about that a long time ago.

Never thought I'd be asking the questions here! We all run into brick walls from time to time, right?

Cheers!

Dev

Forum Links
Forum Rules