Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need Classic inspiration

Need Classic inspiration
C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 12:21 AM

I need to give a Classic purpose in life. Here's the background.

My friend John is a Mac fan, but like many folks, has to use a PC in his daily office work. He'd rather be using his Classic from college, the one that he wrote his master's thesis on, and never had crashing problems. Unlike the supply of craptacular Windows laptops he's been through.

This week, the Classic was brought out of retirement, and it will shine again. My goal is to give it a reason to be used. The project paramaters are:

1) Useful- a reason to have this machine around. It doesn't have to be a great reason, just doing something.

2) Reliable. The more complex the task, the better, but uptime is a higher priority than the neat-o factor. The point of this is that the Classic runs and runs and runs.

3) The hardware: Classic 4/40 with 7.01. OS upgrades are an option. I have SCSI CD-ROM and zip drives available.

4) Environment: An typical small office. He's a manager, so he can put it in more places than just his desk.

Here's some options we've considered:
Postage meter log. Uses a basic database to replace a piece of paper.
Refigerator door counter. I could dig up an ADBI/O and count something.
In/out tracker. Put names in a database, check in and out. Homegrown, I would have to figure.

What are your thoughts? Throw me anything... we're brainstorming here. Don't hold back... anything that's within the capabilities of a Classic is up for consideration.

TIA!
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 2, 2002, 10:16 AM

Put somewhere inconspicious and write an AppleScript that makes it go "PING!" every now and again. When someone asks, thell them it's than machine that goes "PING!"

Paco

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 10:33 AM

Hmmmm... Director goes back that far, doesn't it? Pings, maybe a little pulse-like graph.... it'll monitor "something on the network" (wink, wink).

I wonder if it'll talk to my Connectix QuickCam.... just randomly snap pictures and display them full screen....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

bluedog
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 12:21 PM

I have two old classics, set up as early design stations with the ancient 1.0 versions of software. Its not exactly useful, but pretty cool to show off.

If you have a need for some abandonware or such, contact me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules