Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why can't I open Hotmail?

Why can't I open Hotmail?
kaceygones
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 11:18 PM

I'm on a 400 MHz iMac with 256 MB of RAM running OS 9.2 using IE 5.

Every time I try to access Hotmail (either by bookmark or from scratch,) it goes fine until it gets to where it says, "Receiving image: f.st.gif" and then the cursor just spins and spins until Ican't do anything but force IE to quit.

Why?
kacey

P.S. I haven't done or changed anything.

Francesca
Jan 25, 2002, 02:41 AM

Hotmail has been very slow to access lately using a dialup connection. I have one myself, and even when I get the page to load, it takes forever. This is probably not a problem that you have, but a problem with the hotmail server or just too much traffic on the hotmail site. It may or may not help to get a DSL, Cable modem, or other faster internet setup, unless you have a very good reason to get one, since they are so much more expensive than dialup. Try to access hotmail at midnight on a weeknight, when fewer people are on, at least in the USA. The trouble is, in countries like India and Japan, almost everyone has a hotmail account, and everyone is awake there when it is the middle of the night. You can see that I've had alot of experience with hotmail. I still have my hotmail account, although I don't use it much since last year, when their server holding my account went down for more than 3 weeks, and I never did receive mail people sent to me during that time. Try getting a Yahoo account...you'll probably like it better.

Francesca
That which does not totally confound us, makes us smarter...

Francesca
Jan 25, 2002, 02:42 AM

Hotmail has been very slow to access lately using a dialup connection. I have one myself, and even when I get the page to load, it takes forever. This is probably not a problem that you have, but a problem with the hotmail server or just too much traffic on the hotmail site. It may or may not help to get a DSL, Cable modem, or other faster internet setup, unless you have a very good reason to get one, since they are so much more expensive than dialup. Try to access hotmail at midnight on a weeknight, when fewer people are on, at least in the USA. The trouble is, in countries like India and Japan, almost everyone has a hotmail account, and everyone is awake there when it is the middle of the night. You can see that I've had alot of experience with hotmail. I still have my hotmail account, although I don't use it much since last year, when their server holding my account went down for more than 3 weeks, and I never did receive mail people sent to me during that time. Try getting a Yahoo account...you'll probably like it better.

Francesca
That which does not totally confound us, makes us smarter...

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 05:52 AM

It happend to me somtimes that one specific page hangs up the browser. I allways easily solved it by using another browser. Have yuo tried to see your Hotmail account with Opera or Navigator?
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules