Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > connection slows down, unable to load pages

connection slows down, unable to load pages
the siren
Oct 18, 2001, 12:27 PM

I just recently did a clean install of OS 9.2.1 and my internet connection has gone haywire. I have ADSL and the problem occurs after i have been surfing for a while. i am slowly unable to load pages. its like it can't resolve the ip address. after this happens when i try to quit IE5, it crashes on me. so does icab. Netscape can't load the pages either, but doesn't crash.

i have changed the cache and history panels to all different configs. thrown out all preferences and started again, rebuilt the desktop, started with base extensions, reset the pram, and powercycled the dsl modem. i can think of nothing else short of another reinstall.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
thesiren

Camelot
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 06:55 PM

Could you provide some idea as to what error messages you get? how long it takes for performance to degrade, and whether it happens suddenly or porgressively?

There's a myriad of possible causes of problems like this. Knowing what messages you're getting probably won't provide the answer, but it'll give at least a direction to look in.

My first thoughts would be DNS server related... the DNS server you're using is flaky and isn't able to respond to DNS lookups. More details would either strengthen or eliminate this hypothesis.

Also, get yourself a network utility like Interarchy which has tools for testing a network connection using Ping, traceroute, DNS lookups, etc.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

<the siren>
Oct 18, 2001, 07:47 PM

the errors are just the regular "cant find server" errors that you get with any browser. I have tested all the different types of connections with interarchy, and all seem to be good.

it is usally after loading about 20 pages that it happens. but then some pages load and most don't there is no particular type of page that makes it happen.

what can i do to test a flaky DNS server aside from DNS Lookup?

Forum Links
Forum Rules