Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > how to create a pure internetcomputer

how to create a pure internetcomputer
micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2001, 09:51 AM

hi, I got a real bargain ; an iMac 233 in exchange for my old draytek isdn modem.

Now i want to use this iMac solely as a fast internetcomputer. I don't need most MacOs functionality anymore, so I am wondering : what can i do without and what should I keep or get?
I am talking about every bit of stuff that makes MacOs heavier than it should be, like excessive extensions and other stuff in the systemfolder.

"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

mindwaves
Feb 25, 2001, 11:21 AM

Just open the system extensions control panel and make sure that the get info thing is on and turn off any extensions that are not internet related.

mksmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 04:41 PM

Hey:

All you really need in the extensions folder for this type of app is:

1) Quicktime
2) Video drivers
3) Open Transport
4) Color Sync
5) Contextual Menus (not needed but nice)

Also, I would reinstall IE or Netscape after disabling all of your extensions so they can load what they need.

Finally, if you restart and find out you horked the system you can always use the space bar to access the Extensions Manager and re-enable whatever is missing.

Mike

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2001, 07:30 AM

Better yet, *don't* install the lame Netsc 6 or the bloating, crashing IE. Just use sleek, sweet iCab!
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

machappy
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2001, 12:50 AM

leave the extensions alone. with out a doubt this computer will become loaded with stuff over time and you'll need everything you take off.
PDFs?
hqx?
etc.
A good use for an old imac is to locate it in a central spot in the house that you pass by alot (mines the kitchen). Then install your scheduler and to do list and recipe database and mp3 collection and internet browser and mail and all the other useful things a mac can do. you can even add a paperport scanner (small fits right in the front) and your mac is a full flegde fax machine.
Now you have a lifestyle Hub....see steve is smart.

Petter
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2001, 07:31 AM

The Opera browser is wicked fast, does not always do everything right, but it does it in no-time anyway!
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

Forum Links
Forum Rules