Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > How can we trump phlump?

How can we trump phlump?
Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 12:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the team and I am crunching away on RC5. I "just" have an iBook 600, so I can't contribute that much, but I do what I can. Anyway I joined because of this race with Phlump, which sounds like a fun idea. The way I see it, the team has come a long way and we are pretty consistently beating him now. However, yesterday we gained 39937 blocks on him. He is ahead by 1335485, so at this rate, well catch him in 34 days. Great....no wait, we don't have 34 days. What to do? Will someone be able to capture some monster computer lab over the holidays and do a last minute crunch-spurt, or will our production drop to zero as we all go away for the holidays? What are our projections and strategy here?

-majmun

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2001, 02:17 AM

friends.
Lots and lots of friends.
and recruiting.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 02:37 AM

sorry to say, but i will lose most of my power in a week and a half. I'll go from a Ti 500, Dual 500, and 1.4 P4 to a Ti 500, 500MHz Celeron, and 180 MHz 604e. Anyone want to send me a couple of dual 800s that'd be very kind of you.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2001, 04:13 PM

Who is phlump? I can't find him by searching members or teams, and none of the teams around MacNN are even close to "phlump." I saw the quote from Phlump on the Team MacNN page - "I will be completely and absolutely shocked if the G4 can approach speeds as fast as half the speed of a comparably clocked P-iii or Athlon." Apparently, he hasn't seen this

reader50
Administrator
Dec 15, 2001, 06:46 PM

Phlump is an individual rather than another team. He is currently the highest cruncher on the Ars Technica RC5 team.

He is listed here as "Digital Design Labs".

The quote came from the Ars forum, and is "slightly" out of context.

Oh, and kbbaucom, nice link.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 09:01 PM

Keys per second per megahertz. Nice useful info.

Hmm. Add a "per watt" to that and you're golden. P4s suck juice.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

phlump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 05:28 PM

The quote came from the Ars forum, and is "slightly" out of context.
More than slightly... but it's all good...

Forum Links
Forum Rules