Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > It's ALIVE!!!

It's ALIVE!!!
bojangles
Senior User
Oct 5, 2000, 02:18 PM

About four months ago, I got a Yamaha CD-RW for my beige G3. It's an internal SCSI-3 4x4x16x. Just one problem: there's nowhere to hook up the audio wires, cuz the audio input on the motherboard already has the wires from my stock 24x CD-ROM attached.

I asked (in this forum) how to get around this limitation and have audio from both CD bays, but the only thing anyone came up with was more work than I wanted to do - and besides, it would have voided my warantee.

(Yes, I bought a 4-year warantee on a computer. Yes, I was stupid.)

So anyway, fast-forward to last week. I installed Mac OS Xpb (five times, no less, but it's working beautifully now). So yesterday, I switched back into 9.0.4 to burn a CD-RW. I stuck an audio CD in the stock CD-ROM and an audio CD-RW in the other, and lo and behold, they both started autoplaying! I have audio! I have willed my CD-RW to have audio!!! I am unstoppable! Bwa-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Psych
Oct 6, 2000, 12:20 AM

I am unstoppable! Bwa-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!
unstoppable, maybe...

nuts, definitely

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2000, 12:49 AM

And it did this without the drive connected to the motherboard???

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2000, 07:59 AM

ibookuser2-
Yep. The audio wires are just hanging loose inside the CPU. Apparently the audio's coming thru the SCSI bus, cuz the only other thing it's hooked up to is the power cord!

Whatever�. I'm happy.

[This message has been edited by bojangles (edited 10-06-2000).]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

blue
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2000, 10:06 AM

Same thing on my b/w g3 - 2 cd drives, no audio connectors - cd audio from both. *yum*

b.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2000, 01:04 PM

That is really strange! I thought the digital to analog connector wasn't hooked to anything except those audio wires!

infiniti
Oct 14, 2000, 05:03 PM

I'm pretty sure what's going on it the digital audio thing, kind of like what's used in iMacs. Rather than have the audio go directly to the speakers, it is played by the CPU. This has only been possible recently, as CPUs were too slow to do this before. Anyway, this is mostly guessing, and a little fact, so take it for what it is.

infiniti
12" iBook 900

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2000, 03:09 AM

I wonder if it has anything to do with machines that do software based DVD decoding?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2000, 03:50 AM

"you lucky, lucky bastard"

- Monty Python
Late 20th century
this sig intentionally left blank

Lint
Oct 16, 2000, 05:58 PM

Did you guysforget that apple said that cd audio is gonna be done thru DAE. I can only assume this is whats going on. And it make USB audio much easier then going back thru an ADC and out to usb speakers.

Gromit
Nov 3, 2000, 06:41 PM

Starting with OS 9/9.0.4 IDE drives use digital audio when playing audio CD ROMs. Cables are no longer required. All is digital, including ripping of audio! Nice eh?

MacMeister L
Nov 6, 2000, 08:44 PM

Did you by chance install the latest version of Toast?

The newest Toast CDReader extension enables cd audio playback through the scsi cable

If this was the case I am sorry to kill your delusional fantasies and if it makes you feel better you keep right on believing that you are godlike in your prowess with the Macintosh

Of course I will always know who the real MacMeister is...

MacMeister L
[email protected] http://www.macmeisters.com

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Nov 7, 2000, 04:50 AM

MacMeister�

Thank you. I will consider my delusion officially crushed.
—Abraham Lincoln

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2000, 10:14 AM

I can top that...

When I disconnect the powersupply and remove the battery from my powerbook I should have no power right?

Now, when I did this, my internal fan started spinning at full speed ! I didn't understand it, because my powerbook g3 was completely shut down and had no power at all.

Suddenly I realised that my usb-connected cdrw was the source of the problem. somehow the powerbook internal fan drained power from the usb-cdrw. making it spin unstoppable.

I use a powerbook g3 400 mhz firewire
and an Archos 4xspeed external cdrw

wicked
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Nov 15, 2000, 12:23 PM

micha-

I have to admit, you beat me. You da man.
—Abraham Lincoln

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2000, 01:13 PM

Beaten? I liked your story too.

anyone else with a haunted machine?

Atoms
Nov 22, 2000, 12:29 PM

I once worked on a PB 1400 that would not die! It locked up with a balck screen and the LED solid red. I removed the AC adapter and the battery, and tried every trick in the book to turn it off. The LED stayed lit for hours. Weird. Maybe the PRAM battery? Doubtful, but possible.

try
Nov 22, 2000, 12:46 PM

hey micha....

Dus jij hebt m...
So you have it: the archos usb drive... I wanted it for a long time but they had so much trouble to get it working for the mac, I bought something else. How do you like using it?

Paul

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2000, 03:24 PM

it is really tricky, but the powersupply and usb-cable of the archos are the problem here.
when you update toast to version 4.1, the cdrw is recognised. Then Toast still says it cant find the drivers for the "external backup drive". Reconnecting the cables and hitting the table some times solved this problem. I bought it for 650 NLG. A bargain, because it is a really good cdrw. Better than the freecom Traveller that I had before it.

groeten

Forum Links
Forum Rules