Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple vs Satan

Apple vs Satan
Treky
Jun 18, 2001, 11:54 AM

No, not Bill Gates. Apple legal has recently asked the "Church of Satan" website to remove all logos and references to Apple Computer or face further legal action.

It is my understanding that from a purely business standpoint Apple doesn't have the right. But obviously there's more to it than that. Or is there? What you do think? Let's hear from all sides... religous, athiest, agnostic.

Does Apple have the right (moraly, ethicaly or legaly) to force the "Curch of Satan" website to remove references to their company?

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Treky:
<STRONG>No, not Bill Gates. Apple legal has recently asked the "Church of Satan" website to remove all logos and references to Apple Computer or face further legal action.

It is my understanding that from a purely business standpoint Apple doesn't have the right. But obviously there's more to it than that. Or is there? What you do think? Let's hear from all sides... religous, athiest, agnostic.

Does Apple have the right (moraly, ethicaly or legaly) to force the "Curch of Satan" website to remove references to their company?</STRONG>
I don't think you can legally order someone not to mention your company. However, when you download the Apple Web badges, they come with an agreement explicitly stating that Apple can order you to remove them from your site for whatever reason they like, including if they feel the content of your site would reflect badly on Apple.

As for the use of "Think Different," that too is sort of a grey area. If the Church of Satan were using it in its own advertising efforts, that would definitely be a breach of copyright; however, they could argue that their use of it constitutes a parody, in which case it would be protected. I guess we'll never know.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Treky:
<STRONG>
Does Apple have the right (moraly, ethicaly or legaly) to force the "Curch of Satan" website to remove references to their company?</STRONG>
Just curious, are you a member?
(check out the 666 thread too)

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2001, 09:19 PM

I would take apple, but only because I killed satan in a dream of mine.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules