Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why is snooze only 9 mins and not 10

Why is snooze only 9 mins and not 10
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 10:43 AM

I was wondering this as I was trying to catch a few more Z's before I absolutely needed to get up this morning.
I asked myself how come after you hit snooze the alarm goes off after 9 mins instead of 10?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 10:55 AM

Well, perhaps they figure that most people set their alarm for even increments of 5... i.e. 7:00, 7:10, 7:15 or something of the sort...

Assuming that, if snooze was 10 minutes, someone could snooze and then see the clock after the alarm goes off again and mistakingly think it's the first alarm.

However, at 9 minutes, if your alarm went off first at 7:00, then you would see 7:09 at the second alarm, rather then 7:10 where you can see the zero and think you are on the first alarm.

Either that or it's really just an arbitrary number!

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Misha
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 11:10 AM

The snooze on my clock is 5 minutes.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 11:13 AM

Strange...

My Alarm clock snooze is 7 minutes.
And to show how weird I am at times.. I want to get up at 7:30 in the morning. So I set my alarm for 7:23. That way I get the satisfaction of hitting the snooze button and lying there for 7 blissful minutes!!

Sender
Forum Regular
May 14, 2001, 11:23 AM

One time I snoozed for four hours. Hit the button every nine minutes and went back to sleep.

------------------

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2001, 12:42 PM

There was a study done in the late 60's (for the U.S. army I believe) that tested people's resistance to sleep deprivation. They kept the test subjects awake for long periods of time and found that on average nine minutes was the amount that someone could sleep and still be awakened without gaining any of the affects of sleep. I guess this works well in torture situations.... So clock manufacturers make snoozes last nine minutes, so that you cannot fall back to sleep (on average) and miss work, school, etc.

Or I totally made this up...

-John

------------------
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 12:49 PM

The alarm we use has a 5, 10, and 20 minute snooze setting... i find the second two settings quite dangerous. 20 min snooze sounds like a good way to sleep through class to me!!!

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2001, 12:58 PM

Maybe it's to make you do some math in your head, thereby waking you up.

"OK, alarm is set to 6:45, 2 snoozes @ 9 minutes....18 minutes...... :45 + 18 is, uh..... "

tough to do when you're in a semi-coma!

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

fobside
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 01:18 PM

my snooze is 7 minutes but it rounds up...figure that out. if i hit the snooze right when my alarm goes off at 8:00 itll come on again at 8:07 and if i hit it immediately again the next time it goes on is 8:15.

wumeng
Senior User
May 14, 2001, 02:18 PM

My alarm clock has a 6-minute snooze feature; wouldn't mind it being 9 minutes actually...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 02:31 PM

have you tried updating the clock software?
later versions of software allow you to set the exact snooze time...
(although there's a reputed system conflict that may cause the clock to freeze...)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2001, 05:07 PM

Most of the time I just toss my alarm clock and it unplugs (I'm violent in the morning). So snooze is howeve long I want to sleep. And it really doesn't matter now that i have 9 days of my High School career left.

Just to Let everyone know, tommorrow is officialy Senior Skip Day......wooo-hooo!

------------------

mjpaci
Forum Regular
May 14, 2001, 05:56 PM

A friend in college had a 4 minute snooze on his alarm. He hated it so much he just got up when it first went off. I guess it did its job.

--Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules