Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Newton software catch-22 hell...

Newton software catch-22 hell...
midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 06:37 PM

Hi all.

So my newton 2100 arrived safe and sound, but not I'm in the hell of a software catch-22. Here's the skinny:

The Newton came with the PC variety of the serial connector. That's it.
I have an iMac. No way to connect the newton there.
I have an iBook. Ditto.
I have a PC running Win 98 and a PC running Win2K.

I also have an old Quadra 650. I have no adapters to get the serial cable I got with the Newton to connect to my Quadra (will a Palm mac connection kit work? I can pick one of those up for cheap...)

Will one of those Belkin USB to serial adapters (like the kind I can get at Staples, not the MacMall kind) work with my iMac? If this is the case, this will be the simplest solution. If it's not...

But at any rate, does anyone have any advice on how to get out of this mess?

Cheers
Scott

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 07:22 PM

The belkin should work, but I can't vouch for it myself. I've got a keyspan adapter that works like a charm. Another option is go to http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/ and read about using ethernet to connect your newton. I've seen a place where you can get one that works for $20 including shipping but I can't remember the address. Not a bad deal since it'll be faster than usb and cheaper than the adapter.

<midwinter>
Mar 8, 2002, 09:35 PM

Ok.

So I got the keyspan adapter, and it seems to be working fine. I downloaded and installed NCK, but it told me that my Newton wouldn't sync with it when I tried. Now I'm downloading NCU, but i'm having trouble getting it to install... Grrr.

Can someone tell me *exactly* what I need to download to get the sync capabilities up and running on this Newton so I can install some software? Ooof! This is frustrating!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Scott

PS
Why does this always seem to happen to me on a Friday night?

<midwinter>
Mar 8, 2002, 10:49 PM

A little more info will help: I'm running OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.1.3 on all my Macs. Do I need to downgrade or set up an 8.1 partition or something?

Cheers
Scott

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 12:53 AM

NCU should work fine both in OS X and 9. Something you need to make sure you do is plug in the adapter before launching the program. Under the preferences select the adapter. Then make the connection from the newton. If you are using it in classic mode (which works fine, btw) you need to make sure that the extensions are installed in the classic setup and not in the OS X setup. It won't work that way.

As for your installation troubles, can you be more specific? I personally wouldn't try to synchronize just yet. First make sure you can connect to the newton. HTH.

<midwinter>
Mar 9, 2002, 01:15 AM

Hey

first off, thanks a bunch for helping out!

I've managed to get NCU installed (the installer just took its sweet time...HOURS to get installed), and have installed Newtworks. I haven't tried anything in OS X yet, but I'm about ready to.

right now, I'm trying to get the Wavelan drivers installed, but the thing is giving me an error--they've expired. Perhaps that cryptic message in the other thread would be some help if I knew anything about either basketball or newton software.

So anyway...I've got newtworks installed. I've got the ATA drivers installed. I"ve got the HWR stuff for newtworks installed. I've successfully transferred files back and forth... all looks pretty easy.

Any ideas on the Wavelan card drivers? Once I get that, I'm home free...

Cheers
Scott

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 04:04 PM

I actually really enjoy helping people out, so it's not a problem! But I can't help with the wavelan drivers. Have you tried the newtontalk.net mailing list? Go to www.newtontalk.net and search their archives. Thousands of posts for your edification Maybe someone there has figured it out. Also, HWR in newtworks is good, but you'll find that it's somewhat limiting. I've resorted to just using plain ol' notes for my writing and note taking.

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
<STRONG>I actually really enjoy helping people out, so it's not a problem! But I can't help with the wavelan drivers. Have you tried the newtontalk.net mailing list? Go to www.newtontalk.net and search their archives. Thousands of posts for your edification Maybe someone there has figured it out. Also, HWR in newtworks is good, but you'll find that it's somewhat limiting. I've resorted to just using plain ol' notes for my writing and note taking.</STRONG>
hehe. I just found that link earlier today, and it's helped me out a great deal. i've learned, sadly, that my Lucent wireless card is too new to work with the drivers that are out there. I was really hoping to take advantage of a wireless newton, but alas, it looks as if it was not meant to be.

Everything else is going remarkably smoothly at this point: it syncs well (if a bit flakily) with both my iBook and my iMac. I've been able to install a load of software. It imports and exports my NewtWorks files flawlessly. Hopefully, this will be the gadget I've been looking for: a small note-taking machine.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Scott

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: midwinter ]

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 06:01 AM

Hello everybody.

Could one of you guys help me out? I recently bought an old H1000, and I should be getting the original serial cable as well as a keyspan twin serial adapter in a couple of days.
What do I need, NCU or NCK? And where do I get it? (I got NCU via hotline, but the app won't launch.)

Thanks in advance.

The Pub Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 06:16 PM

The syncs are much much faster if you get an ethernet card and sync that way...they also tend to be much more robust.

The NewtonTalk list has active discussions on new development efforts. Those include the new iTunes player, ATA driver, WaveLAN development, various people working on native OS X links, Newtourage (currently sync names with Entourage 2001 and v.X) and is durrently developing calendar syncing support.

There is a lot still going on for Newton development, so don't dispair if the latest and greatest isn't working yet...someone else may already be working a solution!

Welcome aboard!

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 12:29 PM

Hello red rocket,

have a look at this site:

The Newton Cage Software Collection
http://www.chuma.org/newton/ncage/

Regards,

Walter.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Walter J. Ferstl:
<STRONG>Hello red rocket,

have a look at this site:

The Newton Cage Software Collection
http://www.chuma.org/newton/ncage/
</STRONG>
As you are located in Europe, there is also a European mirror of the Newton Cage collection:
http://www.europegate.com/newton/

Regards,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules