Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo Update

Halo Update
NickKohn
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 06:14 PM

I've tried looking at their website, but it's pretty vague...

Does anyone have an estimate of when Halo (and the crap XBox) will be released?? MS had a presence at some gaming conference recently concerning the XBox and Halo. Did they give an estimate of release date?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2001, 06:37 PM

I have had my ear close to the ground for Halo news. They just recently did a demo at a giant x box show some were where they actully played the game. Now that MS has bought bungie I belive that you will see halo when the Xbox comes out, and that will only before the Xbox they will release the PC and Mac a little latter. If you know when the Xbox is coming out I think Oct then thats when Halo will come out. MS are controlling bastards

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Archangel
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 05:17 AM

Yup, I bet it will coincide w/ XBox debut.

------------------
"Elvis has left the building!"

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 05:07 PM

it wont just make the debut, it will BE the debut. One of the most anticipated origional games of all time, i will say it will make or break the xbox in an instant.

obviously i may be overstating it just a little, but the only reason i got a psx was Final Fantisy 7. If halo can produce that type of effect, microsoft will have a winner

------------------
-rok

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Drew Cover
Mar 29, 2001, 01:41 PM

One of Microsoft's typical business strategies:

When an innovation is getting lots of hype, buy it, kill the innovative part of it, and market off the hype.

Halo was going to be a huge innovation of the order of Myth. M$ is making it into just another game-consol first-person-shooter. Bungie has been labotomized.

Unfortunately, When you have billion$ to market with, it's a succesful strategy.

Apotheos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2001, 11:35 AM

It's clear that Bungie-worship has not died with the passing of Bungie into the hands of Microsoft. Wow...

"one of the most anticipate original games" - I don't think so. It will be good, but not that good, and the hype over it in the general gaming community (i.e. PC) is marginal compared to the Mac hype because the PC has so many other great equally impressive upcomming games. By my reading of PC game sites, the new Command & Conquor is more anticipated than Halo.

Myth was a huge innovation.
How many Myth clones do you see?
Why was Myth the unwanted child in the Bungie/GOD split?
Why is Myth simply not mentioned in the annals of multi-player gaming history as we know it. I'd seen the isometric view before, I'd seen the real-time strategy before. Myth was not that innovative, and nobody really cared about what innovation it had.

Halo will be very cool, but it will not redefine gaming as we know it. It will not be on the Macintosh until 2002 or 2003. XBox will not be released until Mid 2002. (If GameCube comes out before XBox, consider XBox DOA.) Halo will not be out for PC/Mac until 6-12 months after a XBox release.

Trevor Covert
Mar 31, 2001, 12:37 AM

Well, Mumbo Jumbo (a development studio tied to Gathering of Developers) is currently developing a prequel to Myth called Myth III: The Wolf Age. I've seen Myth on a list of the most innovative/genre-defining titles in history and I'd have to agree with that. It took real-time strategy in a whole different dimension.

Whether Blizzard will admit it or not, they're borrowing several concepts first introduced in Myth for WarCraft III. I know that many people at Blizzard played and enjoyed Myth, and they were very interested in incorporating some of those same gameplay mechanics into their next RTS. So, Myth did leave its mark on the industry and the full effect that it had has probably not yet been fully realized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules