Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Baldur's Gate: Is this a glitch, or do I just need a hint?

Baldur's Gate: Is this a glitch, or do I just need a hint?
CountBezukhov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 09:42 PM

I'm ready for any spoiler or God mode cheat to get me out of this game! I tried to put Baldur's Gate aside - there really seemed to be no end to it - but recently, in an idle moment, I thought I would pick it up again and complete it. Big mistake! I am within a couple of scenes of the end and now... there's No Exit.

This forum seems to be more about gaming in principle than specific hints, but I'll try anyhow. If inappropriate, perhaps some kind sole will direct me to the proper forum.

I've checked out some online walkthroughs, and haven't found any mention of this situation so I think it may be a glitch. If, however, I'm overlooking some obvious strategy, please enlighten me so I can conclude this game and, hopefully, never begin another.

At the Ducal Palace my party has successfully killed off all the Doppelgangers and both the good Dukes have survived (actually one of them would seem to be a Duchess, but no matter). At this point, Sarevok, according to the walkthroughs, is supposed to attack my party, take a few hits, then flee and the next stage of the game begins. Instead, Sarevok stands around idly until I finally provoke him by attacking him or trying to pick his pocket. Then, just when I've got him on the ropes, this Winski Perorate guy shows up, apparently in God mode himself, and fries me to a crisp with a pillar of flame against which all defenses are useless. If I just flee the palace to another part of the countryside, I drop dead wherever I happen to be.

Is this a glitch? Did I kill the Doppelgangers the wrong way? I know it's just a silly game but... get me outa here! Thanks.
Never anthropomorphize computers; they hate that.

Fragicula
Jul 25, 2001, 06:20 AM

I never got so far in that game ;-) actually I'm stuck in BG (the town) and have no interest in playing that buggy thing again.

but try the forum at macbaldur.net. they should be able to help you.

mfg
Fragicula

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 10:15 AM

Show the surviving duke(s) the incriminating evidence you got about Sarevok (his diary or letter or something). He'll take some potshots then flee.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: schwa ]

CountBezukhov  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2001, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by schwa:
<STRONG>Show the surviving duke(s) the incriminating evidence you got about Sarevok (his diary or letter or something). He'll take some potshots then flee.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: schwa ]</STRONG>
Thanks, but... how do I do that? I tried having the character with the diary just click on one of the dukes, tried double-clicking the diary to "activate" it, tried just dropping it on the floor in front of them. What is the procedure? Wait, can I place it in my "utilities belt?" Let's see...

CountBezukhov  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2001, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by CountBezukhov:
<STRONG>

Wait, can I place it in my "utilities belt?" Let's see...</STRONG>
Didn't work; I can place the letters, though not the diary, in my "Ready Items," and when I click on them I get the little magical pointer, but clicking on the dukes produces no reaction. What now?

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 08:42 AM

Not to get to far off topic, but since someone already mentioned it, has anyone played this game without it freezing and/or crashing?

Is there anyway to fix this. I'm running this on a Cube 500Mhz, 896 Mb Ram

Thanks,
Steve

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 10:26 AM

Hey Count...

Try putting the "evidence" in your utility belt and then just talking to one of the dukes. That's how I've gotten other NPC's to recognize "evidence" before, I think...

CountBezukhov  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 12:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveTech:
[QB]Not to get to far off topic, but since someone already mentioned it, has anyone played this game without it freezing and/or crashing?

I and others have found this to be a very buggy game on Macs, very disappointing after the raves we got from pc users and the long wait for the port. Only my obsessive-compulsive tendencies keep me plugging away at. Haven't had any better luck with the 1.02 patch. I suggest you install the cheats so that you can, for example, skip exploring the same areas anew, over and over (on the plus side, you can, if you wish, win the same prizes over and over as well). Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to try Baldur II.

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 10:25 AM

It's been a while, so my memory is kind of hazy, but I seem to remember just having the document and then talking to the duke did the trick. Is there a way to "use" it "on" the duke?

re: bugginess- I had a really tough time with the game until they patched it. Make sure you're updated. And, strangely enough, people are reporting it works *better* under OS X via Classic than in straight OS 9. From what I hear, though, you should stay away from the multi-player patch. Calling it "beta" is apparently generous.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 11:14 PM

It's been so long since I've beaten Baldur's Gate and in fact, I beat it on a PC (*gasp*). I don't remember having the problem you are having so it is possible that it is a bug.... however, I did a little poking around and maybe you should try this if you just want to cheat just past this one stage. Visit
http://www.waidsoft.com/personal/macbgeditor/

to find a Mac BG saved game editor. Since I don't have a copy of the Mac version I can't try it myself, but I hope you get past that one stage :-)

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules