Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mounting Applications drive breaks apps...

mounting Applications drive breaks apps...
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2001, 06:30 PM

For sake of having my applications saved on a different partition so I can totally reinstall OSX if need be, I moved all the apps to a new empty hfs partition. This partition is mounted at startup as /Applications.

So, nearly everything works. This SHOULD be transparent to the OS. I can't run iTunes, or Acrobat Reader, or iMovie. absolutely everything else works.

I'd love some ideas or comments. I just get a "The application has unexpectedly quit." message as soon as I try to load it.

For some reason the acrobat reader shows up as the folder, and package contents, rather than an app. :o(

Cheers,
Ben.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>For sake of having my applications saved on a different partition so I can totally reinstall OSX if need be, I moved all the apps to a new empty hfs partition. This partition is mounted at startup as /Applications.
</STRONG>
I did similar, and am seeing a similar problem. I left the Apps installed with OS X where they are installed... afterall those apps are effectively part of the OS X install. But in my separate partition I created another Applications directory, and that's where I put all the *additional* applications that I install. Now I can reinstall OS X, get all the apps that go with it, but not disturb the extra apps I've installed.

All of that works great -- going that route might be a quick fix to your problem -- though doesn't really address the issue. Onto the issue...

<STRONG>This partition is mounted at startup as /Applications.

So, nearly everything works. This SHOULD be transparent to the OS. I can't run iTunes, or Acrobat Reader, or iMovie. absolutely everything else works.
</STRONG>
THEORY: Cocoa apps work fine. Carbon apps show up as non-executable docs when viewed through NFS mounts.

FACTS: I have a bunch of apps installed in the Applications directory of a separate partition. If I go to that disk partition and select the Applications directory, I can access all the applications just fine.

I have also exported that Applications directory and mounted it as /Network/Applications. If I go to /Network/Applications, I see all the same files... but some of them have the generic document icon and you cannot execute them. Some of them look and work just fine. The ones that I know are Carbon apps do not work. The ones that I know are Cocoa apps work fine. However, there are numerous others that I am unsure about, so I am not confident my theory is correct.

QUESTIONS:
1) Does anyone know how to determine if an app is Cocoa or Carbon?
(Some Carbon apps have a checkbox "Run in Classic"; but some do not.)

2) Does anyone know why Carbon apps would not work through an NFS mount?

3) Are there additional Mac settings in Netinfo to allow Carbon apps to work over mounts?

Thanks,

Brian
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Forum Links
Forum Rules