Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apache hack attempts???

Apache hack attempts???
anothermacguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2001, 02:17 AM

Hi all, I just noticed something when looking through my Apache logs. For the past month or so, there have been rpeated attempts at accessing a page which does not exist on my webserver (default.ida). Every one of the ip's attempting to access the non-existent page are on the @home network (24.*.*.*). I don't believe there are any external links to my site, but I could be mistaken. Is there anything to worry about? Or is this just someone who has linked to my site incorrectly? Is there any way I could advise him/her of their mistake? There are pages and pages of this error, it's a bit annoying. I'm going to start rotating logs so that the size doesn't become an issue.... if there is a problem, please advise.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2001, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by anothermacguy:
<STRONG>Hi all, I just noticed something when looking through my Apache logs. For the past month or so, there have been rpeated attempts at accessing a page which does not exist on my webserver (default.ida). Every one of the ip's attempting to access the non-existent page are on the @home network (24.*.*.*). I don't believe there are any external links to my site, but I could be mistaken. Is there anything to worry about? Or is this just someone who has linked to my site incorrectly? Is there any way I could advise him/her of their mistake? There are pages and pages of this error, it's a bit annoying. I'm going to start rotating logs so that the size doesn't become an issue.... if there is a problem, please advise.</STRONG>
Red Code worm ring a bell? Surly you've heard of it. The death of the internet and all. Anyway, it's nothing more than an annoyance unless you have any plans to switch to an Win2k/IIS Server.

FYI, I've had 5116 hits from Red Code since Aug 4. Awhile back when I was bored at work I hacked together a Red Code counter for my home page
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2001, 11:25 PM

Small correction: Not all 24.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses are @home. I'm using adelphia.net with a 24.xxx.xxx.xxx addy.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Neilwhit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2001, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
<STRONG>

Red Code worm ring a bell? Surly you've heard of it. The death of the internet and all. Anyway, it's nothing more than an annoyance unless you have any plans to switch to an Win2k/IIS Server.

FYI, I've had 5116 hits from Red Code since Aug 4. Awhile back when I was bored at work I hacked together a Red Code counter for my home page </STRONG>
I was looking at my OSX Apache logs today -- over 7,300 hits from Red Code. Using @home also. Plus I have dozens of other attempts for various Windoze .exe, directories, cgi's, etc., etc. No wonder my server slows down!!
G5 2.0; 15 " AlumPB 1.5
Miscl. other Macs
10.4.x

anothermacguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2001, 11:59 PM

That's crazy. Thanks for the info.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2001, 12:10 PM

Somebody wrote a php script that makes an attempt to shut down any server that tries to access default.ada, the script (& instructions) are here. The person who wrote it says it doesn't even work half the time, but what the heck? There is an interesting thread at macosx.com about Code Red & ways to monitor and/or perster ther servers pestering you, but they aren't up right now, so I can't link to it.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2001, 02:46 PM

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2001, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by putamare:
<STRONG>Somebody wrote a php script that makes an attempt to shut down any server that tries to access default.ada, the script (& instructions) are here. The person who wrote it says it doesn't even work half the time, but what the heck? There is an interesting thread at macosx.com about Code Red & ways to monitor and/or perster ther servers pestering you, but they aren't up right now, so I can't link to it.</STRONG>
Be veeery careful with this script. This script could be construed as an attempt to hack a server in a court. Very nice all the same.
weird wabbit

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2001, 07:29 PM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2001, 09:28 PM

That does sound like Code Red.

Luckily, since you're running Apache, you're immune. However, the bandwidth and log file clogging can be a pain, I know.

I'd suggest running the scripts other people have mentioned. Even if you're hauled into court, you could plead self-defense. Granted, I don't know if it would work (I doubt anyone has tried it before), but it's worth a shot.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2001, 04:24 AM

There is an interesting tutorial on how to write a Perl Apache module to do something with Code Red hits (in this case, email the admin) - available at O'Reilly

Forum Links
Forum Rules