Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > file merge

file merge
Christopher Flynn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2002, 01:29 PM

I was using apple's Project Builder to write a little program as I am trying to learn ObjC. I changed the interface slightly and added some new class objects and when I go to create code, a file merge program opens. I thought this was a good idea until I tried using it. Anyone have somewhere they can point me to or give me a basic run down on how it works. I can't seem to get it to do anything and end up having to overwrite my originall class files.
-Chris

lindberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 03:28 PM

Generally, I prefer to add method definitions manually in the source code and then parse them back into IB. Of course, this was before FileMerge was used instead of overwriting the files directly like it used to do :-)

FileMerge is a GUI diff program, and is very cool. The "merge" view is at the bottom, and you'll probably have to go to the bottom of the window and move up the split view (the merge view often disappears entirely when you first bring up the window). At that point you can go through each diff and choose whether you want the left or right side. When you're done, save the merge as your source file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules