Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2001 and RamDoubler Incompatible ??

Office 2001 and RamDoubler Incompatible ??
bdgeddes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 06:58 AM

I saw a single reference in one of the read me files, for Word, I think, saying Office 2001 and Ram Doubler are incompatible. I haven't yet loaded 2001. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I really have to turn off RD?

krgraham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 10:13 AM

Turn off RamDouber. It is NOT compatible with Office 2001. This fact is even mentioned in one of the ReadMe files.

zensmile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 11:19 AM

I have used RAM Doubler and Office 2001 without any problems. No crashes, hangs, or freezing.

PS...I should say that threw out all of the assistants before using Office 2001. This aleviated all problems.

--zen

[This message has been edited by zensmile (edited 10-05-2000).]

surf.to/macospage
Oct 5, 2000, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by bdgeddes:
I saw a single reference in one of the read me files, for Word, I think, saying Office 2001 and Ram Doubler are incompatible. I haven't yet loaded 2001. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I really have to turn off RD?
from the Entourage list:
"There is a conflict with Office and RD involving the Assistant. If you do
not need the Assistant, but you do need RD start with RD turned off. Launch
Word and disable the assistant (NB - you need to do this from the menu, just
closing his little window will NOT turn him off). Then you can restart with
RD loaded."

ericw
Oct 5, 2000, 12:46 PM

After I installed Office 2001, every application in Office 2001 would lock up in a hard freeze witin a few seconds of being launched or used. As soon as I disabled Ram Doubler (and nothing else), the problem was gone. There is a very ugly incompatibility going on here.

bojangles
Senior User
Oct 5, 2000, 01:27 PM

I admit that this incompatability should be fixed, but have you guys tried Mac OS 9.x's built-in VM? I haven't used RAMDoubler in months!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2000, 05:44 PM

I saw a tip (I believe it was on MacFixIt) that stated that if you wish or need to use RamDoubler, it can be done IF, after you have installed Office 2001with RD off, you then launch each application (Word, Excel, etc.) and individually turn off the Assistants (which are on by default). Then turn RD back on and restart. Apparently it is the Assistant which conflicts with RD.

I do not know if this has been verified.

I visit MacNN frequently and indeed it has saved me countless times. But mainly I reside at http://www.techsurvivors.com where I regularly assist. Please visit there if you have a chance.

Harv

[This message has been edited by pendragon (edited 10-05-2000).]
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

doclee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 06:49 PM

I had the same problem as ericw - every 2001 application froze as soon as they were started. The problem was with Max - as soon as I removed this rediculous piece of software, everything worked fine. RamDoubler has caused no other problems. So get rid of Max - it is useless anyway.

krissel
Nov 12, 2000, 08:54 PM

Here's the update that removes the incompatibility:

http://www.connectix.com/products/rd9_upgrade.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules