Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL for OSX

AOL for OSX
wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2001, 01:29 AM

I have got to tell you that inspite of a perfunctory support for osx; the guys @ AOL did a very decent job with their latest upgrade. Takes me 20 minutes to download the software under os 9.2 connection. Install the soft ware in osx ( a must ) and up and running without any more crashes so far. The installation even automatically trasfer all you peferences unlike prvious upgrades where you have to move the folder to the new version. Good job you guys @ AOL. You are also the first to have direct connection under osx.
G4 dual 800. 1.5 g ram
G3 Pismo 48 gig travelstar HD
The interface even has good aqua resemblance

It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

austeros
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 01:54 AM

the best thing about it is after it kicks you off (and doesnt realize it) and just hangs there, you can force quit without it bringing everything down =)

damn i wish my parents would get rid of it

There's someone in my head but its not me...

<pwc>
Dec 16, 2001, 11:21 AM

I presently have AOL 5.0 for the Macintosh. I attempted to install AOL 5.o for MacOS X.� I received an error that said "Install AOL Os X could not be launched because of a shared library error: "?&lt;BaseInstaller Carbon&gt;&lt;BaseInstaller Carbon&gt;&lt;Carbon&gt;&lt;emText&gt;"

Any ideas

Peter
[email protected]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2001, 12:18 PM

I'm still not very happy that they haven't upgraded AOL to version 7, or even 6, on Macs. I kinda see it as a betrayal of AOL's roots (it was originally Mac-only; Windows wasn't even a major player on AOL till Version 3.0). It's a symbolic thing, more than anything else.

There are, however, two real reasons that I want to see a higher version. One is rather minor, but the other is pretty big. The minor one is the ability to sort e-mail in an order other than pure chronological (whose bright idea was it to make you scroll down to read your latest e-mails, anyway? Talk about a usability gaffe).

The major one, though, is a better built-in Web browser. Unless I'm mistaken, AOL/OSX is still based around IE4/Mac. They Carbonized the whole engine, rather than using IE5/Mac's engine (I would, of course, have preferred to see them use Gecko, but evidence is mounting that this is coming).

I don't use AOL. I haven't for a long time, But I did once, way back in The Day, and it saddens me to see how things have gone for Mac users there since then.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2001, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by wubrew:
<STRONG>You are also the first to have direct connection under osx.
</STRONG>
huh? Direct connection? Earthlink has connected for me just fine, and 'directly' at that.

I ditched AOL last month and haven't looked back. Got tired of the bloatware. My sister won't be happy, but she's 19 years old. Since she's wrecked 3 Land Cruisers, (model yrs '89, '96, '97), I reckon she can learn to deal without AOL.

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2001, 04:01 PM

"The interface even has good aqua resemblance"

Are you kidding? Look at its preference panel. White background??

That's about as Aquafied as Eudora!

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2001, 04:19 PM

Believe it or not, there are people who think those stripes are distracting.

Besides, AOL has never followed Apple's (or Microsoft's) UI guidelines.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 07:03 AM

And EarthLink has had OS X "software" available for awhile now. Not that you really need it, but..

Originally posted by fulmer:
<STRONG>

huh? Direct connection? Earthlink has connected for me just fine, and 'directly' at that.

I ditched AOL last month and haven't looked back. Got tired of the bloatware. My sister won't be happy, but she's 19 years old. Since she's wrecked 3 Land Cruisers, (model yrs '89, '96, '97), I reckon she can learn to deal without AOL.</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules