Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Roxio has released Toast 5.1 for X

Roxio has released Toast 5.1 for X
Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 11:12 PM

Roxio

Toast and Spin Doctor for OS X

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 11:16 PM

thx for the tip! just started my d/l and will give them a try.....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 11:54 AM

Does anyone with a B&W G3 and a QPS drive know if the burn hanging bug has been resolved?
Dan

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 01:35 PM

I found the Toast Titanium update on Versiontracker. But, where is the CD Spin Doctor update?
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Mark N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 01:41 PM

On the roxio page. When you login, it is available just under the toast link.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 01:52 PM

See how the icon changes while the CD is burning?
There is a sort of progress bar in it
Quite cool!

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 01:56 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2002, 03:49 PM

Is there a way to do a "bit-for-bit" CD copy using OS X (disc copy?) alone? The reason why I ask is because this is the only reason I use Toast.

Thanks!

OAW

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 03:58 PM

Disc Copy should be able to do a bit for bit copy if you have an Apple supported cd-r.

-matt

<mOONgOOZe>
Jan 8, 2002, 08:07 PM

Hi there,

I�ve got a Yamaha CDRW 8824S - connected over external SCSI. Apple System Profiler finds the CDRW but the new Roxio Software doesn�t. - sniff. I installed the SCSIhelper Patch from El Gato Software LLC. any1 an idea - or does any1 run such a device with the new toast !?

thanx

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mOONgOOZe&gt;:
<STRONG>Hi there,

I�ve got a Yamaha CDRW 8824S - connected over external SCSI. Apple System Profiler finds the CDRW but the new Roxio Software doesn�t. - sniff. I installed the SCSIhelper Patch from El Gato Software LLC. any1 an idea - or does any1 run such a device with the new toast !?
</STRONG>
I have a 6416 and yamaha's 12x burner, I can't recall the model number at the moment, that both work with it. So I would imagine that your burner would be supported. I know this is a stupid question, but do you have 10.1.2 installed?

-matt

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 09:41 PM

Well, I have a Yamaha SCSI CDRW too...I got it working under the Preview, and it still shows up in Toast after the upgrade to 5.1. For whatever reason, after I installed the El Gato helper, the burner was not in Toast. After hearing a tip, I trashed iTunes, and re-installed iTunes 2. After that, it appeared in Toast. Works just fine. So give that a try...

--J

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by OAW:
<STRONG>Is there a way to do a "bit-for-bit" CD copy using OS X (disc copy?) alone? The reason why I ask is because this is the only reason I use Toast.

Thanks!

OAW</STRONG>
I don't believe you can copy-record at the same time. You'll need to insert the CD, launch Disk Copy, click Image &gt;&gt; New Image from Device. You will then find your CD. If you have only one hard disk/partition, then your CD will appear as disk1 in the menu. Begin the image process. When it is complete, you're left with a dmg of the CD-ROM. Return to Disk Copy and select Burn Image. Select the dmg file you made from the CD, and it will burn the file to a CD, and it will burn as if it is making a copy, not as if it is burning a dmg file. Neat-O.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 08:08 AM

I have a yamaha 2100s (16x10x40x SCSI) and since I upgraded to 10.1.2, it works fine with apple's built-in disk burning, with disk copy and even with retrospect preview. I don't use SCSIhelper or toast.

Barney.

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 09:31 AM

Ohhhhh ohhhhh - finally ! Thanx Gene Jockey - upgrading iTUNES solve the prob 4 me and my Yamaha burner. now i can burn, burn , burn - the rings of fire.

I LOVE THIZ PLACE !
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 12:23 PM

Who else has to re-enter the password everytime Toast launches??

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2002, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
<STRONG>

I don't believe you can copy-record at the same time. You'll need to insert the CD, launch Disk Copy, click Image &gt;&gt; New Image from Device. You will then find your CD. If you have only one hard disk/partition, then your CD will appear as disk1 in the menu. Begin the image process. When it is complete, you're left with a dmg of the CD-ROM. Return to Disk Copy and select Burn Image. Select the dmg file you made from the CD, and it will burn the file to a CD, and it will burn as if it is making a copy, not as if it is burning a dmg file. Neat-O.</STRONG>
Fulmer,

Thanks for the info! It seems like the only advantage Toast has in this this situation is the ability to simply copy the CD in one step. Since I rarely make CD copies ... and since I hardly ever burn CDs anymore now that I have an iPod ... I think I can safely pass on the opportunity to fork over 80 bucks for Toast!

OAW

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>Who else has to re-enter the password everytime Toast launches??</STRONG>
this is a known bug and Roxio is working on a solution. They say to keep checking their website for a fix.

Neilwhit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
<STRONG>Does anyone with a B&W G3 and a QPS drive know if the burn hanging bug has been resolved?</STRONG>
This seems to have boiled down to the G3 B&W rev.1 Firewire chipset. People are simply installing a new PCI Firewire card ($45-50) to eliminate all the weirdness with Firewire in OSX on G3 B&W's. I just put one in myself, but haven't tried buring yet, although my external Firewire HD now works properly (transfer speeds, etc.) in OSX.
G5 2.0; 15 " AlumPB 1.5
Miscl. other Macs
10.4.x

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
<STRONG>

Fulmer,

Thanks for the info! It seems like the only advantage Toast has in this this situation is the ability to simply copy the CD in one step. Since I rarely make CD copies ... and since I hardly ever burn CDs anymore now that I have an iPod ... I think I can safely pass on the opportunity to fork over 80 bucks for Toast!

OAW</STRONG>
Just a heads-up: AFAIK Disk Copy can't (or just won't?) image an audio CD. The CD will appear in the dev list when you choose "New Image from Device", you just can't select it. I wonder if Roxio paid Apple for that little bit of software design.
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by iSore:
<STRONG>

Just a heads-up: AFAIK Disk Copy can't (or just won't?) image an audio CD. The CD will appear in the dev list when you choose "New Image from Device", you just can't select it. I wonder if Roxio paid Apple for that little bit of software design.</STRONG>
I hate that from Disk Copy
The question is, can Toast save exact images of Audio cds to the desktop for later burn??

Right now using Toast 5 PR2 i can't and i haven't been able to download the final 5.1.1 so i don't know if it is possible with it.

<nobody special>
Jan 20, 2002, 12:20 AM

and the answer is, yes, Toast can save audio CD images. Choose Copy format, select your source CD, then choose Save As Disk Image from the File menu.
The previews did not have full support for disk images.

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>

I hate that from Disk Copy
The question is, can Toast save exact images of Audio cds to the desktop for later burn??

Right now using Toast 5 PR2 i can't and i haven't been able to download the final 5.1.1 so i don't know if it is possible with it.</STRONG>

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by &lt;nobody special&gt;:
<STRONG>and the answer is, yes, Toast can save audio CD images. Choose Copy format, select your source CD, then choose Save As Disk Image from the File menu.
The previews did not have full support for disk images.

</STRONG>
Cool, i was expecting that functionality.
I will download the final as soon as i get to a decent internet connection.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 04:40 AM

It still doesn't see my Sony Firewire burner (under X)...

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Mark N:
<STRONG>Roxio

Toast and Spin Doctor for OS X</STRONG>
With X it is always something. Bought 5.0 and updated to 5.1 and then to 5.1.1 Fine. Then d/l the cd spin doctor upgrader. Found the CSD version 1.0 and ran the updater. No Joy. Permission error. Any thoughts? maybe i'll try calling roxio on Tuesday. This is so tiresome. Whatever happened to our nice friendly easy Macintosh. Sigh.

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by drjoe:
<STRONG>

With X it is always something. Bought 5.0 and updated to 5.1 and then to 5.1.1 Fine. Then d/l the cd spin doctor upgrader. Found the CSD version 1.0 and ran the updater. No Joy. Permission error. Any thoughts? maybe i'll try calling roxio on Tuesday. This is so tiresome. Whatever happened to our nice friendly easy Macintosh. Sigh.</STRONG>
Issue closed. Called Roxio this AM. Less than 5 minute wait. Spoke to a real person. Understood problem. Offered solution. Didn't work. Called again. Less than 5 minute wait. Talked to SAME person!!. Walked through a reinstall. CD Spin Doctor successfully installed. Problem solved. Word leaks out to world. Roxio will probably close its doors later this PM.
Seriously what I hae noticed is that software companies with real manuals [ Toast's is over 200 pages] have the best phone support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules