Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Omni Web: What the.....

Omni Web: What the.....
Leonis
Senior User
Oct 11, 2001, 03:57 PM

I tried Omni to broswer my national news web site and I got this.....

Can anyone explain why this happens?

IE is fine BTW.....

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2001, 12:07 AM

That looks like a case of a page trying to use the wrong character encoding... we had some bugs where, if a page started decoding using a double-byte encoding, it wouldn't be able to find the tag taht told it to change to a different encoding. We've fixed most situations like this for 4.1... if the page still doesn't work for you in the newer versions, do please let [email protected] know -- we're actilvely trying to track down this problem.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Ken at Omni
Oct 12, 2001, 03:24 AM

That page is requesting (via a meta tag) that we switch to the UTF-16 (2-byte Unicode) character set, but that's not the correct encoding for the page. (It then attempts to ask that we switch back to UTF-8, but that instruction isn't written in UTF-16, so it's unreadable at that point.)

If you delete the meta tag that tries to switch to UTF-16 (using OmniWeb's source editor) and redisplay the page, it renders just fine.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
<STRONG>That page is requesting (via a meta tag) that we switch to the UTF-16 (2-byte Unicode) character set, but that's not the correct encoding for the page. (It then attempts to ask that we switch back to UTF-8, but that instruction isn't written in UTF-16, so it's unreadable at that point.)

If you delete the meta tag that tries to switch to UTF-16 (using OmniWeb's source editor) and redisplay the page, it renders just fine.</STRONG>
This same error occurs within Westlaw (along with Lexis, it's THE major legal research site out there). It only occurs within the "welcome" frames of Westlaw, and not with the rest of it thankfully, but my attempts to edit the correct source file have been lousy so far -its difficult to find when there are many frames running.

Here's hoping it works with 4.1!!

cpac
cpac

MrOutline
Oct 17, 2001, 01:29 PM

This is not quite on this topic, but an Omniweb question.
If I choose a point size of Geneva that is below the size specified for smoothing, any instance where bold is specified on a page, it does not render as bold. It renders regular.
If I choose a larger point size and have it smoothed, the bold is then rendered as it should.
Any ideas? (besides not using Geneva!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules