Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks !

OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks ! (Page 3)
Rex
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 07:25 PM

It crashes on me sometimes too. I've had this problem since SP25 or so, but it happened only 4or5 times. Don't know why.

Rex
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 07:29 PM

BTW, SP29 doesn't allow me to send e-mail report on crash anymore. When I click on "send report and quit" I get an error message saying "OSAScript error". Has anyone noticed this?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 07:33 PM

I just did as you suggested. I went to Apple's home-page and clicked on the "software tab" and.....NO CRASH! I guess its not a universal problem. I have never had any problems at any of Apple's pages using OW4.1.
I had that yesterday twice with the Mac OS X tab at apple.com and could reproduce it with the software tab right now. I can't send a crash report about it though.

Edit: on sp29

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Developer ]
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 08:10 PM

I've got to say I've had OW crash when I try to use the Apple Store also, although not every time. And it takes forever to load the Apple Store and IE will load in a fraction of the time.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 11:52 PM

apple.com crasher - Our apologies that we can't respond individually to every email we receive. (We just hired two new support people, so hopefully that situation will get better soon.) Anyhow, we are very much investigating this bug (which is caused by the iMac QuickTime movie). Looks like QuickTime is scheduling an animation timer, and then freaking out if the movie has been deallocated by the time the timer for the next frame fires. As far as we can tell, we're doing everything that IE is doing with the QuickTime plugin, so we don't know why this movie isn't crashing for them. But we're still working on it.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 24, 2002, 01:41 AM

Yup, got OW to choke on Apple.com.

SP29

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 03:37 AM

SP30 is out!

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 03:42 AM

Strange...

I don't know if it was fixed, but I don't crash anymore on Apple.com...
Maybe it's just me

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 24, 2002, 06:22 AM

Ummm...that downloading crash bug from "Check For Updates" is still there.
(EDIT: Whoops...that was for SP29...I guess we'll have to wait until when SP31 comes out to see if the bug got fixed in SP30 )

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Subzero Diesel949 ]

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
<STRONG>Ummm...that downloading crash bug from "Check For Updates" is still there.
(EDIT: Whoops...that was for SP29...I guess we'll have to wait until when SP31 comes out to see if the bug got fixed in SP30 )
</STRONG>
Didn't know this "Check for updates" applied to Sneaky Peeks... nice !

Rex
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>Strange...

I don't know if it was fixed, but I don't crash anymore on Apple.com...
Maybe it's just me </STRONG>
SP30 doesn't randomly crash on Apple website clicking the tabs, but it still does clicking the iMac movie.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2002, 01:32 PM

The OMNI logo in sp30 is in some strange grayish color now
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 02:24 PM

The OMNI logo in sp30 is in some strange grayish color now
Compare to the buttons and other widgets on your screen... that's Graphite, which you presumably chose in System Preferences.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 02:33 PM

what's going on with the font rendering?

In sp28 OW rendered non-antialiased Verdana 10 point quite well, now the kerning looks all shot to hell.

On the whole I really like Omniweb, but I just cant read the small type sizes when they are antialiased, I know I can set the mimimum font size, which is a very cool idea, but Id like it if the aliased rendering looked good! IE does this perfectly, non-antialiased type looks perfect, of course anitaliased type looks like crap...

BTW if I can set OW to always use my link colors, overriding any page specific ones, can I set OW to always use my fonts, regardless of what the page says?

Rex
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 05:31 PM

new (I think) issue: OW SP30 fails making a window active when you click on it. It brings it forward, the window bar and scrolling tab are grayed but still work, and the links don't work. It took me several clicks and switching back and forth the finder to make it active again. I haven't noticed this in any other app. Any idea?

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Rex:
<STRONG>new (I think) issue: OW SP30 fails making a window active when you click on it. It brings it forward, the window bar and scrolling tab are grayed but still work, and the links don't work. It took me several clicks and switching back and forth the finder to make it active again. I haven't noticed this in any other app. Any idea?</STRONG>
Never seen that... can you reproduce it after a relaunch of OW?
I got a problem with the preference menu item not responding anymore, but it got fixed after a relaunch

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 06:35 PM

Would someone care to explain to me how I can go about downloading sp30 when sp29 keeps crashing when I get to the "releases" directory?!

Even selecting the download button from "Check For Updates" crashes consistently. Is there FTP access or any mirrors?

Thanks
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by zengravy:
<STRONG>Would someone care to explain to me how I can go about downloading sp30 when sp29 keeps crashing when I get to the "releases" directory?!

Even selecting the download button from "Check For Updates" crashes consistently. Is there FTP access or any mirrors?

Thanks</STRONG>
Did you delete Internet Explorer?
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 06:46 PM

Good Christ, yes! IE was such a bloody dog on my system. OmniWeb is the only way to go!

Could someone mail me the .dmg? It would be much appreciated, as I have been "testing" every sp since the beginning...

If so, [email protected]

Thanks much!

zen
--

fisheater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 09:29 PM

Has anyone been able to get Omniweb to work with Washington Mutual Home banking? It worked for a few sneakypeaks, but now after I log in it hangs at the "please wait, accessing account info" screen. I looks like it stops listening- arrows stop spinning and turn grey.

I have tried a variety of combinations for the compatibility setting, but no luck. I suspect a javascript issue, but am no expert. Mozilla 0.9.5 is the only browser I have that works, both 0.9.7 and the daily builds now fail... and I often have to reload the please wait screen to get 0.9.5 to work.

Can anyone help?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 09:42 PM

<STRONG>Is there FTP access or any mirrors?</STRONG>
the same place it's been for a looooong time...
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/outgoing/sneakypeek/
The server made a boo boo. (403)

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2002, 09:50 PM

OmniWeb has serious issues right now. It crashes ALL the time for me, when using bookmarks particularly. How can this problem have perpetuated through 5 or so sneakypeeks?
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2002, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
<STRONG>OmniWeb has serious issues right now. It crashes ALL the time for me, when using bookmarks particularly. How can this problem have perpetuated through 5 or so sneakypeeks?</STRONG>
Hmmm...I have to agree somewhat.....I have 4 or 5 crashes it seems every session.....I know it's a "sneaky peek" and all, and I don't regret paying my $29.....I just hope the stability is *greatly* improved in the final release (and I believe it will....)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2002, 11:02 PM

Getting the occasional crash myself. And SP30 can't launch the Java applet for the speed test at dslreports.com.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 12:19 AM

the same place it's been for a looooong time... http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/outgoing/sneakypeek/
Uh, no... In my original post I explained that this location is what is crashing sp29 (i.e. every time I try and access the site OW crashes). I was asking if there are any alternate locations or any straight ftp access.

Thanks for the sarcasm, though.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: zengravy ]

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: zengravy ]
--

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 12:22 AM

Well, if you hadn't been so hasty to delete IE, you could have use that... or any of the many other browsers available for Mac OS X.

Here's a direct link for ya
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/out...eb-4.1sp30.dmg

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 12:25 AM

Actually, I wasn't all that hasty. I had been trying to use IE since March of last year and finally gave up and began to investigate other browsers. OmniWeb is the only one that I think worthy to have on the drive. It just seemed kind of odd that I couldn't use it to access the OmniGroup server... I'll try the direct link - thanks.

zen
--

davidb224
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 12:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>Well, if you hadn't been so hasty to delete IE, you could have use that... or any of the many other browsers available for Mac OS X.

Here's a direct link for ya
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/out...eb-4.1sp30.dmg</STRONG>[ /QUOTE]

Thanks...that direct link worked for me. In fact, it was a lot faster downloading than going thru the usual link.

davidb

davidb224
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>I don't know if it was fixed, but I don't crash anymore on Apple.com...
Maybe it's just me </STRONG>
Nope, I don't think its just you. I think something was fixed in sp30. Just now (using sp30) I went all over the apple site and had no problem....no crashes.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: davidb224 ]
davidb

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 03:27 AM

Uh can we get the Cache preference back now? I know you are worried people will set it in ways that will slow their OmniWeb's down but I really would like to be able to control the cache again. I just got a Cable modem so its no problem for me to reload pics frequently.

Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 03:28 AM

Just went to download sp30 and discovered that sp31 is out!

zen
--

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 05:01 AM

<STRONG>Just went to download sp30 and discovered that sp31 is out!

zen</STRONG>
And my bookmarks gripe about new added bookmarks appearing on top instead of the bottom has been fixed!! They do listen to us!! A little slow still, tho.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 25, 2002, 06:04 AM

Dang, I just come back to this thread to find out 2 SP's have gone by!

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 06:06 AM

I downloaded sp 31 and after installation it informed me, that sp 32 is the newest version. So now i'm downloading sp 32...
I hope omnigroup doesn't up load sp 33 while i'm downloading sp 32 ;-)
The omnigroup programmers are fast.

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 25, 2002, 06:06 AM

SP32, grab it now.

OT: Woo-hoo my 400th post! &lt;== Post count does not matter

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
<STRONG>SP32, grab it now.</STRONG>
Anyone know what was wrong with SP31??

Rex
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 10:12 AM

SP 32 is smooth!!
Can anyone explain how plugins work in OW? Some ate inside the app package, some are in Library/Internet Plug-Ins and some in user/Library/Internet Plug-Ins. Does OW load them all? I just installed the new Shockwave Player and went to their page, if I try to run a game, it tells me I don't have the Plug-in

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 10:19 AM

I see java applets now render correctly - see http://news.bbc.co.uk

Rex
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
<STRONG>I see java applets now render correctly - see http://news.bbc.co.uk</STRONG>
- the applet box is still placed above the designated space.
- the iMac movie on Apple site now works, but it still crashes clicking the "software" tab
- crash report is back to normal

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 02:19 PM

Why does the OW download so slow? I have a cable modem and I'm lucky to get 3.5Kbps!

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 02:30 PM

OW sp32 still crashes at the Apple Store.
Are their any disadvantages to switching from the smaller english version from the full multi language that's a 5.6 MB download?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 02:46 PM

- the applet box is still placed above the designated space.
Weirdness - the applet renders correctly on my G4 (yikes!) but incorrectly on my Pismo powerbook.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by ndptal85:
<STRONG>Uh can we get the Cache preference back now?</STRONG>
Rick (or was it someone else?) already said that the interface code has been frozen for 4.1. The options are still available through the terminal by using the "defaults" command, IIRC.

Ken at Omni
Jan 25, 2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Rex:
<STRONG>- the applet box is still placed above the designated space.</STRONG>
Hide the toolbar, and you'll note this is no longer the case. The problem is that Java isn't using Quartz to transform its coordinates, and doesn't understand that it's supposed to leave room for Cocoa toolbars.

Until we find a good workaround for this problem, hiding the toolbar does the trick.

<STRONG>- the iMac movie on Apple site now works, but it still crashes clicking the "software" tab</STRONG>
This happens in both OmniWeb 4.0.6 and OmniWeb 4.1.

The problem is that the QuickTime plug-in content on www.apple.com (the iMac movie) is trying to run some animation after we've told it to deallocate when leaving the page. This appears to be Apple's bug, and we're looking into it with them.

(We're not sure why it doesn't affect IE, we've traced the plug-in communication and seem to be sending and receiving the same sequence of events as they are. Maybe it's simply because we're multithreaded or Cocoa and that affects QuickTime's logic somehow.)

We've tried to work around this by not deallocating the content for a while after we tell them they're no longer on the screen (hoping this would give them time to cancel their animation timer), but it still crashes the instant we deallocate the plug-in content. So, right now it seems to be either a) crash, b) don't load the movie, or c) don't ever reclaim the memory used by the movie. Since movies are huge, leaking the movie (c) isn't really an option. Most other movies work fine, so we don't really want to not load any movies (b). So, we're working with Apple to figure out how to fix the crash (a).

Ken at Omni
Jan 25, 2002, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by ndptal85:
<STRONG>Uh can we get the Cache preference back now? I know you are worried people will set it in ways that will slow their OmniWeb's down but I really would like to be able to control the cache again.</STRONG>
The old 4.0 cache preferences were irrelevant, because that's not the way the cache works in 4.1. What exact changes were you wanting to make to the default behavior of the cache?

(Note that changing the cache settings in 4.0 to "never cache" didn't actually just make OmniWeb slower, it broke some important functionality which relied on using the cache for communication between tasks--for example, you couldn't download files anymore if you set the cache timeout to 0.)

OS X Fiend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2002, 04:23 PM

I can't download. Apparently there is no sneakypeek folder in the FTP directory.

Can you fix this?
iBook, iMac, 10.1.2

Apple.com

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by OS X Fiend:
<STRONG>I can't download. Apparently there is no sneakypeek folder in the FTP directory.

Can you fix this?</STRONG>
Yeah, I just went to try and download sp32, and I get a 404 Error stating that this directory doesn't reside on the specified server.

Mack
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 07:41 PM

They've stopped posting sneakypeeks and I'm stuck with sp29. How will I survive? Hope they find a solution to their bandwidth problem soon.

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 08:04 PM

somebody want to mirror sp32?
spam, this means nothing

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 08:08 PM

Where did the sneakypeek downloads go?
Well, we took a look at our server logs, and about 90% of our bandwidth was going to serving up .dmg files for downloads.
We're looking for another solution, but for the time being, we've had to remove the downloads.
Visitors couldn't get to the website, our store was inaccessible...
This was, as they say, Not A Good Thing.
We hope to have the sneakypeeks back up as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Omni Group

Hope you find a solution! (I'm a Sneakypeek addict.)

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: alien ]
���

Forum Links
Forum Rules