Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes X 2.0.4

iTunes X 2.0.4
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 12:40 AM

aahhhh

it's out

but be prepared

t's still that cpu consumer that it was before

when all the windows of itunes are closed and "optimize sound" on (no eq, no crossfading) i get cpu usage of 10-20 % (was better before)

when i open itunes' window and start scrolling, i can get it use OVER 60 % !!!!! aargh
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 12:58 AM

What has changed?
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 04:01 AM

What has changed?
iTunes 2.0.4 adds expanded AppleScript support, and improved stability and performance.

Seems the same to me. I don't notice any improvement in performance. Stability has never been an issue with iTunes for me.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2002, 10:55 AM

Stability, Schmability. I haven't had a problem, either, with iTunes since the first incarnation of it.
I don't see any noticable differene, either.
Oh, well. I got at least one download out of MWT.

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2002, 11:30 AM

The install switched me from Graphite to Aqua appearance. In fact, it reset my entire General preferance panel to defaults. Other than that, I don't notice anything new...

-atomium

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2002, 01:55 PM

do you have to download the ENTIRE program again????

or is there an updater file for 2.0.3 users???

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 02:49 PM

If you're doing okay with 2.0.3 and you don't own an iPod, don't bother!
Yes, you do have to download the whole #$%^& thing. And it really doesn't offer anything new and/or incredible, AFAIK.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2002, 03:22 PM

i do have an ipod. what's the advantage of updating itunes for use with the ipod??

ksuther
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 05:52 PM

2.0.4 reduced CPU usage from about a steady 18% to about 10-12%. Worth the update for me, IMO

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2002, 06:00 PM

One thing they can add in 2.0.5...

When you don't have an internet connection and you rip a CD, couldn't they put the CDDB CD code and track number in the comments section of the MP3 so that iTunes could go back later and name the MP3's. People with laptops would love this feature! It would also be nice if you had a dial up connection on the blink...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Max8319:
<STRONG>i do have an ipod. what's the advantage of updating itunes for use with the ipod??</STRONG>
You can use AppleScript to do some things with the iPod like updating it.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 07:38 AM

i had some weird problems with 2.0.3 that file names in the list after a long time span of running started hiding or being changed in very strange signs. they did not edit the tags, so just clearing the library and redragging did the job

hadn't had the problem in 2.0.4, although itsn't really running what i call "long"
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 11:41 AM

So aside from that, not much else it seems like.

I've been surfing a few boards trying to see what the general feedback has been but it's pretty sparse still.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>You can use AppleScript to do some things with the iPod like updating it.</STRONG>
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
<STRONG>So aside from that, not much else it seems like.

I've been surfing a few boards trying to see what the general feedback has been but it's pretty sparse still.

Cheers.

</STRONG>
Well I'll bet it also adds whatever support is necessary on the iTunes end to get all the equalizer information from your song list into your iPod. (2.0.3 never would have had to do this)

cpac
cpac

spacedog
Mar 22, 2002, 06:17 PM

one obvious improvement: when you insert a cd and are not connected to the internet (but to a LAN), itunes basically locked up for about 20 seconds while the cddb connection timed out or whatever, which was really, really silly. now it just skips through that. that alone is worth the download.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2002, 07:01 PM

When you don't have an internet connection and you rip a CD, couldn't they put the CDDB CD code and track number in the comments section of the MP3 so that iTunes could go back later and name the MP3's
Or you can just name them before you rip them by using Command+I.

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 03:24 AM

On a G4 400 tower with a Toshiba 1002 combo drive...

I ripped the first two songs of an album in 2.0.3, and got the usual problematic 1.7 - 2x speed.

Updated, and I'm getting 7x or so.

nice.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by macaddled:
<STRONG>On a G4 400 tower with a Toshiba 1002 combo drive...

I ripped the first two songs of an album in 2.0.3, and got the usual problematic 1.7 - 2x speed.

Updated, and I'm getting 7x or so.

nice.</STRONG>
I had that problem and it took a reformat to solve it. 2.0.2 - upgraded to 2.0.3 and suddenly my encode speeds were halved. Reinstalled 2.0.3 and still the same problem. Reformatted and reinstalled 2.0.3 and my speeds were back up to 6X on my iBook 600 and Toshiba combo drive.

Updated to 2.0.4 and my speeds are identical. No speed increase for me.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 05:03 PM

Possible new feature
When editing text (song info) the text seems to be anti aliased as you type - I haven't seen this in carbon apps yet

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
<STRONG>Possible new feature
When editing text (song info) the text seems to be anti aliased as you type - I haven't seen this in carbon apps yet</STRONG>
I think it's always been that way. I'm not positive, but it doesn't seem new to me.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
<STRONG>Possible new feature
When editing text (song info) the text seems to be anti aliased as you type</STRONG>
It's not new. I still use 2.0.3 (2.0.4 did not yet show up in Software Update) and it has already been in there.

<STRONG>I haven't seen this in carbon apps yet</STRONG>
Finder, Sherlock and all the others that use ATSUI...
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 07:21 PM

hmmm. I just realized that on my iBook that the "Battery Saver" option is checked in iTunes, but it's greyed out and I can't turn it off. Is that normal? My 867 G4 shows it unchecked but greyed out as well. I was curious if there was any performance gain while ripping cd's with Batter Saver off. Anybody have a clue how to turn it off? Is it automatically turned on for laptops? I must be missing something.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2002, 07:38 AM

Finder, Sherlock and all the others that use ATSUI...
Ooops, I should have remembered that. Oh well, nothing new then I suppose...

Wevah
Senior User
Mar 24, 2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
<STRONG>hmmm. I just realized that on my iBook that the "Battery Saver" option is checked in iTunes, but it's greyed out and I can't turn it off. Is that normal? My 867 G4 shows it unchecked but greyed out as well. I was curious if there was any performance gain while ripping cd's with Batter Saver off. Anybody have a clue how to turn it off? Is it automatically turned on for laptops? I must be missing something.
</STRONG>
I'm guessing that it's always on for laptops, as it's always on on my PowerBook...
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

ZeroLow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2002, 06:36 PM

Does anyone know if there is any kind of way to back up itunes playlist. I have all my music files on a seperate harddrive and want to format but I have all my songs in itunes in order and there own playllist and stuff. Thankx
Educated by Microsoft
Enlightned by Apple

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2002, 07:14 PM

I'm guessing that it's always on for laptops, as it's always on on my PowerBook...
Yeah. what's the point of having the check box there in the first place then? Seems sorta silly.

me: Hey iTunes, can I uncheck this box please?

iTunes: NO! That is for cosmetic purposes only.

me: but...

iTunes: No.

me: really?

iTunes: No.

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: Technicolor ]

Wevah
Senior User
Mar 24, 2002, 07:39 PM

Hahaha....no crap...
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

dtriska
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
<STRONG>Yeah. what's the point of having the check box there in the first place then? Seems sorta silly.</STRONG>
I don't have a laptop, so someone would have to check, but maybe the checkbox reflects whatever is set in System Prefs &gt; Energy Saver.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2002, 11:11 PM

don't have a laptop, so someone would have to check, but maybe the checkbox reflects whatever is set in System Prefs &gt; Energy Saver.
Yeah, that was the first place I looked, but there doesn't seem to be anything in there related to that. Although OS9's Energy Saver control panel is far more robust than OSX's.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2002, 11:16 PM

Even weirder. From iTunes help:

"If you have a PowerBook or iBook, you can save battery power when listening to music.

Choose Preferences from the iTunes application menu. In the Advanced tab, turn on the Battery Saver option to load songs into memory.

When this option is on, iTunes accesses the hard disk less often, which saves battery energy."

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: Technicolor ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules