Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb

OmniWeb
t_hah
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2001, 10:40 AM

I just wanted to let you guys know that I really think OmniWeb is a great product.
Sometimes it crashes, I usually send the crash report back to Omni. I did send them other bug reports as well, and they almost all the time responded, with some nice email.
They really seem like a company that actually listens, and does what the customer wants.
Good job guys.

Omni rocks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2001, 12:23 AM

Hear, hear!

I'll sign that in its entirety, as well.

Thanks, Omni Group!

-chris.

------------------
...the original Genie Junkie�

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 10:43 AM

Use Omniweb to view these sites:
www.msnbc.com www.foxnews.com www.macromedia.com

Then get back to me and tell me how great it is.

Suurballe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 11:42 AM

I feel the same way. OmniGroup is doing great in customer relations and OmniWeb is truly delightful to look at, but it is SLOW and there are to many pages that are not shown right. iCab is FAST, but looks like s... and crashes all the time. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the X-version of Opera. Opera has it all: Stability, speed and beauty!

Soren
X-treme dane

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 01:59 PM

I know that MSNBC.com has some problems in OmniWeb, but I see none @ foxnews.com...

As for Macromedia.com, one can't really blame Omni for not having a shockwave, flash, or director plug-ins. There was another thread that stated that Apple has yet to totally complete the plug-in architecture. All in good time, all in good time.

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2001, 05:20 PM

Actually it's because Omni hasn't fully tested their new Netscape plugin support with Flash yet, so they're using an archaic Flash plugin (the only OW-native one) that doesn't work well with new animations, etc.

ui gui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 12:40 AM

I love the built in spell checking and the overall UI is amazing. I can live without full flash support for now, if I need it I use IE. I think the fact that I am willing use two browsers speaks to OW's strengths in usability. The only thing that was truly annoying me was the fact that it did not remember my window size. But in OmniWeb I discovered this is a manual setting under the browser menu. I absolutely prefer it this way! No random window size from the last time I was surfing. Go Omni! I'm sure people this smart will fix the bugs.
i'm not signing anything

ui gui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 12:45 AM

I love the built in spell checking and the overall UI is amazing. I can live without full flash support for now, if I need it I use IE. I think the fact that I am willing use two browsers speaks to OW's strengths in usability. The only thing that was truly annoying me was the fact that it did not remember my window size. But in OmniWeb I discovered this is a manual setting under the browser menu. I absolutely prefer it this way! No random window size from the last time I was surfing. Go Omni! I'm sure people this smart will fix the bugs.
i'm not signing anything

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2001, 04:48 AM

Uh - surely the issue with www.macromedia.com is that Macromedia should write web pages that follow the W3C standard for HTML - and not fill their site with the proprietary sh't that they peddle...

ubiquity
Apr 10, 2001, 01:51 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to get OmniWeb to resume downloading a file that was partially downloaded before the connection was lost?

Thanks,
u.b.

Ken at Omni
Apr 10, 2001, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by ubiquity:
Does anyone know if there is a way to get OmniWeb to resume downloading a file that was partially downloaded before the connection was lost?
Sorry, there isn't a way at this time. It wouldn't be too hard to implement, and it's definitely on our list of planned improvements--just not for version 4.0.

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 03:41 PM

I think OmniWeb has some great problems with the menubar when two windows are open and you click two times quickly! Annoying!

Michael Pick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 03:41 PM

One thing I'd like to see (blue sky) is the ability to fix font sizes to web sites.

For example, these forums display text too small for my liking in Omniweb, so I'd like to be able to bump up the size and have the browser remember it the next time I visit.

Sound impossible? probably, but it would be cool.

pmcd
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 03:51 PM

Are you using a modem? OmniWeb is fine using a DSL connection. I don't know how things work with a modem (nothing really works right with modems). I don't know why you say the pages don't look right. They seem fine to me, except for the one's that crash the browser of course. In any case no-one is being forced to use OW or whatever. If Opera is your cup of tea then use it. The expectations that people have from OSX and its applications have gotten totally out of hand. The OS has been out for 2 weeks for goodness sakes.

Philip

Originally posted by Suurballe:
I feel the same way. OmniGroup is doing great in customer relations and OmniWeb is truly delightful to look at, but it is SLOW and there are to many pages that are not shown right. iCab is FAST, but looks like s... and crashes all the time. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the X-version of Opera. Opera has it all: Stability, speed and beauty!

Soren

gregomni
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Michael Pick:
For example, these forums display text too small for my liking in Omniweb, so I'd like to be able to bump up the size and have the browser remember it the next time I visit.
I had the same problem with these forums, so in the next release (any time now...) there are new preferences for minimum and maximum font sizes to ever use. If the page tries to use a size that is less than your minimum, OW will use the minimum instead.

Not exactly what you asked for, but it's something.

mar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 05:33 PM

A little off topic (I use omniweb to get there), but is there a way to get Realaudio or Windows media(argh) files to play yet. It's my only way to hear Art Bell and I would rather not boot into 9.1

------------------
Michael Riedel
R I E D E L Photography
p: 360.649.6763
f: 360.297.5473
e: [email protected]
w: http://www.accessone.com/~mar/
Michael Riedel
R I E D E L Photography
w: http://home.earthlink.net/~riedelphoto/

mar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 05:37 PM

A little off topic (I use omniweb to get there), but is there a way to get Realaudio or Windows media(argh) files to play yet. It's my only way to hear Art Bell and I would rather not boot into 9.1

------------------
Michael Riedel
R I E D E L Photography
w: http://www.accessone.com/~mar/
Michael Riedel
R I E D E L Photography
w: http://home.earthlink.net/~riedelphoto/

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2001, 08:52 AM

I am having a problem with OmniWeb. I use internet location files instead of Bookmarks, as it makes switching browsers o so much easier, however with OmniWeb, every time I click on one I get a new window. Now I seem to remember an option to turn off this behavior (When Omni gets a link from another app. open a new window) however I can't find it in the preferences.

Help!

Thanks..

bd

[This message has been edited by Boondoggle (edited 04-12-2001).]
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

amontague
Apr 13, 2001, 07:05 AM

I would like OmniWeb to be able to save pages like IE saves them. When I save a page with IE, it downloads all the information on the page, such as the stylesheet links and all the images. Looking at the page offline, looks exactly the same as the online view. When OmniWeb saves a page, it only downloads the HTML. The page can look quite different when viewed offline.

Andrew Montague

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2001, 07:56 AM

Has anyone else had this problem?

Every once in a while when trying to open OW, I get this message:

Your bookmarks are already being used by another OmniWeb session on this machine. You may not make changes to your personal bookmarks unless you choose to override this lock.

Anybody?

Kevin

fitter
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by kjb:

Every once in a while when trying to open OW, I get this message:

Your bookmarks are already being used by another OmniWeb session on this machine. You may not make changes to your personal bookmarks unless you choose to override this lock.
I saw this occasionally under the Public Beta, but have yet to encounter it in OS X Final. Open a terminal window and typing 'ps aux | grep Omni' when you don't have OW open. If it returns a line showing OW as a running program, try to kill that process: 'kill -9 <process ID number>'. I never found the rogue OmniWeb session that was using my bookmarks, though.... Which version of OW4 do you have? Code freeze 3?

In any case, you can go ahead and override the lock. I believe it warns you that doing so could damage your bookmarks, but I did not ever experience this. Just in case, you might want to consider backing up the bookmarks before you invoke the override.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2001, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by mar:
RealPlayer works fine for me in Classic.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 01:44 AM

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mar:
A little off topic (I use omniweb to get there), but is there a way to get Realaudio or Windows media(argh) files to play yet. It's my only way to hear Art Bell  and I would rather not boot into 9.1
[/b]
Yes I have used RealPlayer in Classic. What happens to me is after selecting the link a ram file is deposited on the desktop but realplayer doesn't start up. So I have to open RP manually, from there select the file and bingo it starts working.

Hope that helps,

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Michael Pick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2001, 11:46 AM

there are new preferences for minimum and maximum font sizes to ever use.
Sounds good enough to me.

It's great having you Omni guys listening and responding like this in the forums. I'm using OW full-time in OS X when possible - it's a great browser.

Flash 5 support?

Apr 15, 2001, 10:33 AM

OW:

In X a crash while running OW can leave many .tmp files that I have only caught with Disk Warrior 2.1 - and directory corruption goes further.
I would strongly suggest that where the cached files are stored be obvious so that cleanup is easier. I would also suggest that at startup OW check to see if it has crashed in a former session and do some cleanup on its own.
Opera does keep track of failures.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2001, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
Sorry, there isn't a way at this time. It wouldn't be too hard to implement, and it's definitely on our list of planned improvements--just not for version 4.0.
Ken - couldn't OmniWeb hand off downloading files to wget ? wget is installed by default in Mac OS X, and handles resuming downloads perfectly, either via http or ftp. In fact, as I'm on a modem, I often copy the download URL from OmniWeb, and 'wget <paste>' in the Terminal

ddregs
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2001, 03:18 AM

I believe OmniWeb is a great browser.
Pages look beautiful in Omni, and when I open IE I look with dissatisfaction at how the pages look there...

The browser has lots of functions.

Usability: I use it as my main browser, but it still has many problems.
When browsing these forums and others, I constantly get the spinning rainbow cursor, and sometimes the programs locks in this mode and I'm not able to control it anymore. I have to force quit and restart it again.
No crash bombs and no way to send feedback to OmniGroup.

I also had the problem of the locked files in another session someone else previously stated.

I'm workin' with 10.0.1 and a G3 300MHz beige with 384 MB RAM.

Thanks to Omni for your work and keep optimizing your sw.
Attention, Roland V-Drums drummer here....

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2001, 04:07 PM

In regards to the font size, under the window menu there is a "Customize Toolbar" option. This option is amazing! There are tons of options you can add to your toolbar, including making the font Bigger or Smaller. It's great! One click, and you have the font size you want on any page. OmniWeb rocks! The ability to customize the toolbar so easily, or anything else for that matter, is something that makes OSX and OSX application so great. So, get out there and "drag and drop!"

------------------
10:00 conoc� a Apple. 10:30 trabaj� con Apple. Apple Computer�
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2001, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by MacmanX:
In regards to the font size, under the window menu there is a "Customize Toolbar" option. This option is amazing! There are tons of options you can add to your toolbar, including making the font Bigger or Smaller.
While I love the customize option, I'm somewhat disappointed that there isn't a "small icons" option. It would be great to be able to shrink down the toolbar some more, as well as reclaiming some space for the Address field (which is somewhat too short for me, and if I put it underneath the toolbar, I lose so much vertical space...

Are there hooks for this in Aqua? 'Cuz the Finder don't have small icons in the toolbar either...

-chris.

------------------

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2001, 06:55 AM

I read somewhere that small icons is not supported by the cocoa toolbar at the moment, but Apple were considering implementing it. I agree it is a needed feature.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2001, 07:21 PM

The sort of rectangular (lozenge-shaped?) widget at the far right of the title bar will "disappear" your toolbar and address bar, ya know.

------------------
/mal
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

wjsomni
Apr 18, 2001, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by ctt1wbw:
Use Omniweb to view these sites:
www.msnbc.com

Then get back to me and tell me how great it is.

Yes, truly we're fools for not making Microsoft's bad CSS pages work.

Don't believe me? Check the stylesheet for that page, at http://www.msnbc.com/m/cov/cov_em.css:

.kbk{background-color:000000}
.kdb{background-color:000066}
.kbb,.phb{background-color:000099}
.kbg{background-color:cccccc}
.kdy,.tdy{background-color:cccc99}

Sure can't do that. Have to have a "#" before specifying a hex color, according to the spec at http://zvon.org/xxl/CSS2Reference/St...alue-def-color

EM { color: #f00 } /* #rgb */
EM { color: #ff0000 } /* #rrggbb */
EM { color: rgb(255,0,0) } /* integer range 0 - 255 */
EM { color: rgb(100%, 0%, 0%) } /* float range 0.0% - 100.0% */

The format of an RGB value in hexadecimal notation is a '#' immediately followed by either three or six hexadecimal characters. The three-digit RGB notation (#rgb) is converted into six-digit form (#rrggbb) by replicating digits, not by adding zeros. For example, #fb0 expands to #ffbb00. This ensures that white (#ffffff) can be specified with the short notation (#fff) and removes any dependencies on the color depth of the display.

---

Yup, I feel pretty remiss for following the CSS spec and finding out that Microsoft has failed to implement it correctly, then made their pages only work with their browser by exploiting this.

Note that this is the only page I've ever seen anywhere that failed to include the #. Sure, we'll make it work in OmniWeb 4.1, but I don't feel bad it doesn't work in 4.0.

-Wil Shipley
President, The Omni Group

wjsomni
Apr 18, 2001, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
OW:

In X a crash while running OW can leave many .tmp files that I have only caught with Disk Warrior 2.1 - and directory corruption goes further.
I would strongly suggest that where the cached files are stored be obvious so that cleanup is easier. I would also suggest that at startup OW check to see if it has crashed in a former session and do some cleanup on its own.
Opera does keep track of failures.
As far as I know all our temporary files are created in /tmp, which gets cleaned automatically by the OS.

Are you seeing some other files? Also, what's this directory corruption you're hinting at? We don't (and can't) do any OS-level access to directories, so there should be no way in heck OmniWeb crashing can mess up a directory.

Thanks,
-Wil

Ironfist.cmg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 09:23 PM

In reference to the wonderful rant against MSNBC....

YOU GO MAN!!

mwahahaha, gotta love it when it boils down to that level of laziness/stupidity/arrogance/apathy on the part of a web developer.

oh and check your resumes alias, I wrote you guys a novel today.

------------------
feh, my image in my sig went away.

pmcd
Senior User
Apr 19, 2001, 01:52 AM

Is there a reason why OmniWeb crashes consistently at lasenzagirl.com ? I'm under pressure from my children to have this fixed

Philip

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2001, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Ironfist.cmg:
In reference to the wonderful rant against MSNBC....
mwahahaha, gotta love it when it boils down to that level of laziness/stupidity/arrogance/apathy on the part of a web developer.
Actually, it just boils down to dastardly marketing:
Take something good that everybody has, make it bad, and then make sure it breaks everybody else's product - turning it into a standard. Microsoft does it all the time - though, IIRC, they lost when they tried it with Java.

How well this works is shown by how the original poster immediately assumed it was OmniGroup's f*ck-up.

At an MSNBC site. Right.

------------------

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 09:03 PM

One question about OmniWeb (which I have paid for now that I'm starting to use it instead of IE). Has anyone noticed that QuickTime movies don't have the popup menu for setting plug-in prefs and saving the file but IE preview 5.1 does. Looks like a bug to me.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Ken at Omni
Apr 20, 2001, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Ken - couldn't OmniWeb hand off downloading files to wget ?
Sure, it could, and that wouldn't be terribly complicated to implement either. It's just that it'd be more complicated than just implementing resumable downloads in OmniWeb (our lower-level protocols already know how to handle resumes, it's just the upper levels that need work--and they'd need the same level of work if we switched to using wget).

Originally posted by pmcd:
Is there a reason why OmniWeb crashes consistently at lasenzagirl.com ?
Yes: it has a Flash movie with MP3-encoded sound, and when CoreAudio asks us to provide it with audio data we ask QuickTime to decode the MP3, and for some reason QuickTime is deciding to initialize CoreAudio (even though it doesn't need to use it) which locks because CoreAudio is still busy calling us.

I'm under pressure from my children to have this fixed
I've fixed this bug for our next release, coming quite soon. This should help a lot of Flash sites.

DJR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2001, 01:08 AM

Ken: I found an inconsistency in OmniWeb which bypasses the Administrators Network Settings that were established and LOCKED in the System Preferences. It seems that OmniWeb ignors the Internet settings for the Proxy settings. This is bad. As an administrator, I am setting up some systems whereby certain users are restricted to surfing the net through a proxy server to keep them where they belong. I've set the proxy settings in system preferences and locked them from changes. IE 5.1 reads these correctly and will not allow the user to shut them off. OW doesn't even read the settings and thus by default has the proxy settings off. So, even though I've locked my network settings through the system preferences, OW users can just ignor them. This shouldn't happen.

This also applies to multiple users in a home envirnment. I've got an iMac at home with OS X on it and the network settings are set to route everyone thourhg a proxy server to keep the kids out of where they shouldn't be. Works great with IE 5.1...and they can not by pass it. After reading all the good comments on OW, I installed that on the iMac and found that all of a sudden, by system level proxy settings were meaningless.

Is this something you guys can address prior to your next release?

Thanks!

Belle
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2001, 05:05 PM

Loading dpreview.com throws up an error.
Code:
Cannot Load Address *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil
Other than that and the odd appearance of the bomb, I'm really liking life with OmniWeb, though I should perhaps complain that clicking the button to hide the toolbar just makes it disappear, there's no slick slide animation as in the finder.

aabernathy
Apr 21, 2001, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Belle:
Loading dpreview.com throws up an error.
You (and a bunch of other people) will be glad to know that we've fixed that for the next release (which will probably - no promises - be out within a week).

[...] though I should perhaps complain that clicking the button to hide the toolbar just makes it disappear, there's no slick slide animation as in the finder.
NSToolbar (the Cocoa object that is the toolbar) does have a slide animation, but it also makes your window taller or shorter as you display/hide the toolbar. That's not what most people want in a browser - they want the window to stay the same size (especially if they have their window set to the height of the screen), so we've had to hack around it to keep the window height constant. It's something we hope to return in the future.

-andrew

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2001, 11:13 PM

How do I get Omniweb to remember my settings for these online forums? My password and username never get saved so I have to type them in each time I post a message. Are there certain settings for cookies or is it with Omniweb?

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 21, 2001, 11:50 PM

Can I ask a question please? I've been having my hand up for at least 5 minutes now!

Anyway, in my line of work we are routinely now downloading PDF articles from publishers websites which then will be opened and displayed. In 9 this works well after selecting said article link and Acrobat would pop up with the article. OW does pretty well but always chooses Preview instead of Acrobat. I've set the default PDF app to be Acrobat and a PDF file when opened directly does use Acrobat. But from OW it does not - always goes to Preview (which i would use but sometimes can handle the funky fonts when printing). Is this something to do with OW or OSX or what?

Thanks. Love OW and will definitely lobby UC Berkeley to buy a license.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Belle
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 09:35 AM

Thank you for the words on the dpreview.com issue, aabernathy. I was just being pokey about the toolbar, but it's nice to see a developer who actually has an answer to these questions (or at least takes the time to find one).

I'm still seeing the bomb much too often, but at least I can be confident that Omni is planning regular updates, something which you will never see from Microsoft.

Just thought of something else I'd like to see in a future version of OmniWeb - It's currently possible to save a webpage as a PDF file by printing it, viewing it in preview, and saving it. It would be nice, as a first step, to cut out the hassle and allow saving to PDF straight from OmniWeb. It doesn't preserve the integrity of links and some graphic elements (such as the tables on these pages), but it would be useful nonetheless.

[This message has been edited by Belle (edited 04-22-2001).]

aabernathy
Apr 22, 2001, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
Can I ask a question please? I've been having my hand up for at least 5 minutes now!
Yes, you may go to the bathroom. Don't forget to take the hall pass.

OW does pretty well but always chooses Preview instead of Acrobat. I've set the default PDF app to be Acrobat and a PDF file when opened directly does use Acrobat. But from OW it does not - always goes to Preview (which i would use but sometimes can handle the funky fonts when printing). Is this something to do with OW or OSX or what?
Well, OmniWeb just hands off opening documents to the system (which is why we don't have "helper apps" preferences). I don't have Acrobat installed (the whole "Classic installer" thing - I'll install it when they get a Mac OS X native installer), but I can change my default app between Preview and OmniPDF, and the correct one gets launched. Maybe it's something to do with Acrobat not being a native app? But I dunno. I don't think it's us, in any case.

-andrew

aabernathy
Apr 22, 2001, 01:43 PM

It would be nice, as a first step, to cut out the hassle and allow saving to PDF straight from OmniWeb.
Are you aware that you can say "print", choose "Output Options" from the popup on the print panel, click on "Save as PDF File" and then when you hit the Print button, it'll ask you where to save the PDF? (You can save this as your custom setting, to make it a bit more convenient.)

-andrew

[This message has been edited by aabernathy (edited 04-22-2001).]

aabernathy
Apr 22, 2001, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by ctt1wbw:
How do I get Omniweb to remember my settings for these online forums? My password and username never get saved so I have to type them in each time I post a message. Are there certain settings for cookies or is it with Omniweb?
Our cf3 release has a big problem with cookies that is fixed for our next release.

Having said that, I still always have to enter username/password when I post here - I thought that's simply how it worked.

-andrew

Belle
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the tip, aabernathy. Now get to work on preserving the links and graphic elements.

From browsing around this morning, it also occurs to me that the text completion in the address box could be more useful, filling in the address as you type rather than providing the menu of matching text. I've got used to typing "foru" and return to get here.

[This message has been edited by Belle (edited 04-22-2001).]

APC
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 04:49 PM

I have something to add, too...

two things:

first, it happens quite often that if I click on the menu bar while OW is doing something, everything freezes with a spinning rainbow wheel... this happens on OmniWeb 4.0cf3 but also on OmniWeb 4.0sp17.

second little thing... I got used to hit backspace to go to the last page, but this doesn't work. I know I know, I'm way too lazy

Edit: don't laugh, I'm stupid, too Just tried the backspace thingy in 4.0sp17 and it works

[This message has been edited by APC (edited 04-22-2001).]
APC Mac-head since 1987
-- what? image signature? nah, too lazy. --

aabernathy
Apr 23, 2001, 01:05 AM

From browsing around this morning, it also occurs to me that the text completion in the address box could be more useful, filling in the address as you type rather than providing the menu of matching text. I've got used to typing "foru" and return to get here.
I think everyone here at Omni _hates_ auto-completion - you keep having to hit delete to get rid of cruft that you didn't want. Assisted-completion like we have right now provides most of the convenience without the inconvenience.

HOWEVER: you can accomplish the same thing with shortcuts. If you want to be able to just type "foru" to get here, use OmniWeb preferences to add a shortcut for that. (I do this for things like "weather" to go directly to my local weather page, "omni" to go to omnigroup.com, since omni.com is someone else, "store" to go to store.omnigroup.com since store.com is someone else, etc. You can override a shortcut by entering the full URL - so "www.foru.com" would not match the "foru" shortcut, for instance.)

Note that shortcuts will get all the normal processing on them. So given my "omni" shortcut above, I can type "omni/products/omniweb" into the location field, and that resolves to "http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/."

-andrew

Forum Links
Forum Rules