Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best HTML/Text Editor for OS X?

Best HTML/Text Editor for OS X?
goodOS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 11:07 PM

I'm looking for an html/text editor for OS X that supports user defined syntax coloring and possibly built-in FTP. Anything out yet?

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2001, 11:52 PM

Not yet. But i'd wait for March 24th if I were you.

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2001, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by goodOS:
I'm looking for an html/text editor for OS X that supports user defined syntax coloring and possibly built-in FTP. Anything out yet?
Run, don't walk to http://jedit.sourceforge.net/

------------------
Read our Mac OS X ramblings: neologic: http://www.zerologic.com/neologic/

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2001, 01:04 AM

BBEdit will be out as soon as OSX final. I know for a fact that they are in final testing of an OSX version.

------------------
Alex Duffield
------------------

*Compliments mr_SonicBlue
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Ken at Omni
Feb 21, 2001, 02:29 PM

OmniWeb's source view does editing, has syntax coloring and supports storing the file to disk or to a server via authenticated http or ftp (using the KeyChain in our latest builds), supports HTML reformatting and compacting (to indent everything nicely or to eliminate all unnecessary whitespace to reduce download times), and, best of all, can instantly redisplay edited HTML in the browser window without saving.

goodOS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 05:16 PM

That sounds cool. Is the syntax coloring "user defineable"? I would like to color non-html tags as well?

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
OmniWeb's source view does editing, has syntax coloring and supports storing the file to disk or to a server via authenticated http or ftp (using the KeyChain in our latest builds), supports HTML reformatting and compacting (to indent everything nicely or to eliminate all unnecessary whitespace to reduce download times), and, best of all, can instantly redisplay edited HTML in the browser window without saving.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2001, 07:57 PM

DUDE! OmniWeb does everything! Great job. I'm really looking forward to the CSS compliant version of OW for X 1.0.

btw, alex -- how is BBedit shaping up? Any BBEdit Lite version planned? I don't need BBEdit full, but I do like Lite and want to use it in OS X.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

goodOS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 08:46 PM

I would need to open the files via FTP as well. Since they have server side scripting in them. Can it do that?

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:

Ken at Omni
Feb 22, 2001, 03:40 AM

That sounds cool. Is the syntax coloring "user defineable"? I would like to color non-html tags as well?
I'm not sure that they're user-definable in the sense that you mean: I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do.

We do have some configurability: we color based on the syntax of the input, and we let the user choose different colors for text, tags, tag attributes, attribute values, entities, preformatted text, and comments. We also have preferences for whether to flag missing end tags as errors, whether to highlight or underline mismatched tags, and whether to highlight or underline unrecognized tags (which helps you catch spelling errors).

In recent builds, you can also view the page after it's been processed by any JavaScript code on the page and by our entity interpreter, which is handy if you're trying to debug a page. (Of course, if you're trying to debug a JavaScript page you might also be interested in our JavaScript console: it lets you inspect the contents of variables, enter JavaScript code to be interpreted on the fly in the context of the page, etc.)

I would need to open the files via FTP as well. Since they have server side scripting in them. Can it do that?
Yes: you can open files from any protocol that OmniWeb can read (e.g. http, https, ftp, file, gopher, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting).

Zarafa
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2001, 02:47 PM

That's great, Ken!

But what about emacs (or vi) key-bindings?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 09:26 PM

Piffle! Who needs syntax colouring?! vi or pico all the way, I say!

------------------
Shh! Be vewy, vewy qwiewet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwors
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Ken at Omni
Feb 22, 2001, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Zarafa:
That's great, Ken!

But what about emacs (or vi) key-bindings?
All Cocoa applications have configurable key bindings, with some basic emacs-style Control key bindings installed by default (e.g., Control-a, Control-e, Control-p, Control-n, Control-k, etc.). Meta key bindings can be configured by the user, so Option-b goes back a word, Option-f goes forward, etc.

This is all documented in the Cocoa developer documentation in TextDefaultsAndBindings.html, which includes a sample set of key bindings that add those emacs-style meta (Option) key bindings.

So, naturally, all those key bindings work in our source view, but also in our URL entry field, in our HTML form elements (I'm using them right now as I enter this message), preferences, etc.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2001, 11:47 PM

Wow. OW 1.0 is turning out be a lot more than just another browser!

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules