Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X PB License Agreement

OS X PB License Agreement
dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2000, 11:41 AM

Is anyone else troubled over the stuff in the license agreement?

Section 2 says that the software is licensed for only ONE computer, even though it is a beta!

You would think that Apple would want this distrubuted far and wide, for testing purposes! Especially since it is a time
limited beta anyway, and thus wouldn't cannabilize Aple's sales once the Real Deal comes out!

But I guess that makes too much sense, doesn't it?

Section 3 says that the "Time Limited Beta" expires "Upon the commercial release of Apple Software, or May 15, 2001, whichever comes first".

Excuse me? You mean to tell me that my license expires the day that OS X is officially released, even if I order the CD but it will take a few days to arrive?

I'm as much of a proponent of Legal Software as the next guy, but aren't these measures a little too draconian for a beta? You could follow all the rules of the license, and STILL be non-compliant if you get your copy by mail-order and have to wait!

I was going to suggest that a (licensed) copy of the Beta be installed at the Web Development shop where my wife works, and not only will they bristle at having to pay $30 for it, but they'd be forced to delete it the day OSX comes out for real because they take software licensing very seriously! I think they'd be better off not.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm tickled Pink that we finally have the New OS in our hands after years of waiting (even if I can't get Classic to work)... I just wish they made a more realistic license for their Beta Testers.

[This message has been edited by dreilly1 (edited 09-30-2000).]

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2000, 11:48 AM

Welcome to the forum.

The first one I can't see your point. If Apple wanted wide distribution through sharing they would have done that. It's obvious that you pay $30 for one install. Just like all the other software you pay for.

The second point has been writen about all over the web and this forum. The way I see it I pay ~$10 to goto a movie and get ~2 hours of fun out of it. That $5 per hour of fun. If I get 6 hours of "fun" out of OS X P� then it's worth it.

dreilly1  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2000, 11:59 AM

Scott,

Thanks for posting such a quick reply! You really do get service here!

But I think you missed my point on the time-limited aspect (and I admit that I haven't read as many discussions on this as most of you.)

As this license is written, once OS X comes out officially, my license terminates. It doesn't give any time to actually go out and GET the new version. If I don't delete my copy of OS X beta while the new one is being Fed-Exed to me , I am in violation of this license.

Is this the right way to read it? Perhaps I am being too picky, but I imagine people who have been busted with license violations thought the authorities were being "too picky" as well...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2000, 12:18 PM

As a developer, I can tell you that Mac OS X will not be released on May 15th, it will be released long before then. That date is very much a "worst case" scenario. If it came down to the wire, Apple would issue a patch that would extend the Beta's time limit. I believe that Mac OS X will come in plenty of time for you to "upgrade" from the Beta. To do anything else would be counter productive and destructive.

------------------
Chris Turkel
CEO, Mac Gorilla, Ltd. http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2000, 12:20 PM

As a developer, I can tell you that Mac OS X will not be released on May 15th, it will be released long before then. That date is very much a "worst case" scenario. If it came down to the wire, Apple would issue a patch that would extend the Beta's time limit. I believe that Mac OS X will come in plenty of time for you to "upgrade" from the Beta. To do anything else would be counter productive and destructive.

------------------
Chris Turkel
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

dreilly1  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2000, 01:16 PM

But if it comes out before May 15th, that's when it terminates!

If OS X 1.0 comes out Jan 1, then the OS X PB license expires Jan 1!

And if I want to comply with the letter of the license, I must delete my copy of OS X Beta on Jan 1, even if I order OS X 1.0 from the Apple Store Jan 1 for delivery Jan 5!

Like I said, maybe I'm being too picky, but I actually want to follow the letter of the licence, and as I read it it seems too restrictive. If they said "Two weeks after the release of the final version" instead of immediately upon commercial release, I'd feel a lot better.

Of course, I could just be overly paranoid.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2000, 01:41 PM

Yes, you are being very paranoid! Say the final version of X comes out January first, how does the Beta know? It won't explode that day! What it means in legalese is you have to stop using it immediately but will you really? and will Apple care? If you have the Beta on your computer for a few days while you await the arrival of the final version, nobody is going to stop you. Get over it.

------------------
Chris Turkel
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2000, 03:09 PM

Well...has anyone noticed that Software Update runs on EVERY login? I would imagine that it's checking to see if OS X has been officially released.

Therefore, it's very, VERY possible that as soon as OS X is officially released, our Public Betas will cease to function.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2000, 03:40 PM

As this license is written, once OS X comes out officially, my license terminates. It doesn't give any time to actually go out and GET the new version. If I don't delete my copy of OS X beta while the new one is being Fed-Exed to me , I am in violation of this license.

Yea. Apple's going to send the cops to your house and take your Mac 'cause you didn't delete the old copy. Are such a "law and order" person that you'd delete the beta when the Gold comes out but before it ships to you

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2000, 06:47 PM

And besides you can turn off the Software Update, like I did, which also happens to speed up boot time a bit.

------------------
Chris Turkel
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2000, 06:48 PM

And besides you can turn off the Software Update, like I did, which also happens to speed up boot time a bit.

------------------
Chris Turkel
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Kaglan
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2000, 07:50 PM

dreiley,

I admire your desire to follow the liscence agreement to the letter. So many people participating in these forums have simply downloaded illegal copies (No, I can't prove that numerically, and appologize to all of you who _have_ purchased).

I don't think, however, that you need to worry to much about the time it takes to place the order and have the full version arrive at your door.

As for fairness, i can't argue, but the wording of the expiration part of the document is very similar to ones I've encountered in private betas.

And where in Rochester are you from? (curious) I'm in Rochester right now.

dreilly1  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2000, 10:46 AM

I know that the software cops aren't gonna come and take my computer away anytime soon.

But I worked at a place (just as an intern, thankfully) that had just gotten "busted" for piracy, although they clearly deserved it.

I guess a "disgruntled former employee" sic'ed the SPA on this small company because they bought one version of Office and copied it on all their machines!

Although I wasn't there when the "audit" happened, I heard that is was a painstaking process and they were caught on many technicalities, not just the blatant stuff.

Granted, I heard this all second-hand, and all their violations could have really been blatant for all I know, but what's to keep a future digruntled employee from getting some good company in trouble because of this license? All you need is one lawyer who is being as "literal" as me to get someone in trouble

Apple pays big money to their legal team to proofread this stuff and be very, very literal. It's amusing to me that I've found something that apparently their lawyers didn't think through enough. And I guarantee I don't make as much in a day as they bill in an hour

mindwaves
Oct 1, 2000, 10:58 PM

How is Apple going to know if one has Mac OS X beta on the computer if you are not online. Aple said that the beat will expire before or on May 15 so that means that they cannot issue the death command unless issusing a patch online.

Forum Links
Forum Rules