Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Oni demo in OSX!

Oni demo in OSX!
Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2000, 07:32 PM

Just downloaded the Oni demo and found that it's carbonized!!

Works great in OSX (I haven't even tried it in OS9 or Classic). Apparently there are a couple of things that won't work in OSX, such as intro and outro movies, and some mouse tracking issues - but it is definitely playable!!

Sinemac

[This message has been edited by Sinemacula (edited 12-22-2000).]
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2000, 10:16 PM

Fan-freaking-tastic!

As I'm back on a 28.8k modem I can't very well download the demo, but what are the graphics like. Do things look good for the future of games on OS X?

------------------
Shh! Be vewy, vewy qwiewet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwors
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2000, 10:41 PM

The graphics are great! (Currently limited to 640X480 in OSX though - so it's a small "window" in the center of your monitor - I expect this will chnage when OSX has all the appropriate drivers for the graphics cards...)

Gameplay is quick - with only some minor annoyances when using the mouse (e.g. sometimes gets "stuck" and you have to move around frantically to get "unstuck").

I've since tried it in OS9, and found that graphics and gameplay speed were no different in quality (except for the available resolutions issue, and the mouse issue). The intro and outro animations are good, but missing them in OSX is really no big deal.

I'd have to say - if this demo is any indication, gaming on OSX will kick butt!!

Sinemac
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

me
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2000, 09:04 PM

I got my hands on it finally, it starts loading but quits soon after trying to change my screen resolution. BTW, do we just disregard the extensions? The bottom of the log says this -

finished oni initializingloading level 0...setting up 3d engine...creating new OpenGL contextOpenGL platform initializationoriginal display settings= 1024x768x16 : SUCCESSDMGetDisplayMode() returned err= 41changed display settings to: 640x480x32 : SUCCESSOpenGL vendor = OpenGL renderer = OpenGL version = OpenGL extensions =

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2000, 12:30 PM

BTW....to make Oni play full-screen in 640*480, simply change your OS X resolution to the same. The the demo won't pla in that little box.

The mouse-tracking issue is probably the only real limitation of this Carbon game (hey...probably the very first ported commercial game to OS X [QIII wasn't by id]!!!!). As you play the game, the problem gets worse, and you get "stuck" more often. After a while, you basically have no control over the viewpoint of your character....

greg

------------------
Though the day's been
really long
I still feel I'm close to
nowhere....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

RichardS
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2000, 12:44 PM

No, not the first commerical title...
I got 4x4 Evolution for christmas, and the installer had a 'Install for OS X Public Beta' option.

I have OS X installed, but no openGL capable card, so I didn't bother trying 4x4 (or Oni, or quake3) under OS X.

Guess I'll have to wait for the final release with drivers, so I can pick up a Radeon or (very hopefully) a nVidia card.

From the 4x4 Evo Readme:

Mac OS X

At this time, Mac OS X has been released as Mac OS X Public Beta. This version of Mac OS X does not fully support some game technologies. To allow 4x4 Evo to be used on Mac OS X Public Beta systems, the installer includes an option for Mac OS X support.

This option will install an application called 4x4 Evolution-X in the 4x4 Evolution folder. This application is functionally identical to the normal 4x4 Evolution (which is also installed) except that it does not require DrawSprocket and thus 4x4 will run in a window. Be sure to select a video resolution that is equal to or less than the resolution that your monitor is set to.

Mac OS X does not support InputSprocket. This means that joysticks and other controller devices will not function under Mac OS X. Be sure that the controller type is set to keyboard.

Warning: You will need to manually set the allowFrameBufferLocking flag (in the render.ini file) to 0 (default is 1). Failure to do so may cause random crashes or other problems.

Please note that this version is unsupported. It is our hope that 4x4 Evolution will run on the final version of Mac OS X without modification. However, since Mac OS X is still beta software, it is considered an unsupported platform. Please report any bugs you do find while running 4x4 under Mac OS X.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2000, 04:18 PM

I just bought a GameWizard Voodoo 2 for my iMac. Will the card still be usable under OS X? I hope so...

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2000, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
I just bought a GameWizard Voodoo 2 for my iMac. Will the card still be usable under OS X? I hope so...
Check with the manufacturer for drivers.

-chris.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2000, 05:32 PM

I just downloaded it and it quits immediately after starting. Is there something I'm missing?

------------------
-Toyin
Dual 500mhz G4 Maxtor 20Gb Diamond plus. 256MB Ram. ATI Radeon.
OS 9.04 and OS X.
&
PPC 6500/225. SonnetG3 300Mhz/512K 128MB RAM. Voodoo3 2000PCI
OS 8.6

ToyinFayemi.com
Motorious.com
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2000, 11:09 PM

Yes.

The ATI Radeon is not supported by the OpenGL drivers under Mac OSX. Hence, games like Oni wouldn't really be able to work.

Sorry. Wait till OSX GM.

Naden.

henryhbk
Dec 26, 2000, 11:51 PM

Although it "works", I first find the mandatory training annoying (especially in a demo). Also when I quit, it A) didn't and B) hid my mouse pointer in the finder. I had to force quit and blindly click until I hit Oni in the force-quit window. My pointer returned. As a side note I noted 2 pointers in the opening screen of Oni.

------------------
Henry Feldman
NYU School of
Medicine
Henry Feldman, MD
NYU School of Medicine

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2000, 03:41 AM

I had the same problem of the disappearing mouse pointer, but the solution proved to be very easy: just move the mouse down till you hit the Dock! The pointer will instantly reappear.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules