Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV Modem Problems

iMac DV Modem Problems
Switch
Feb 13, 2000, 10:12 PM

My apple internal 56k modem isn't living up to its name... Whenever I connect I can't maintain the connection for more that about 5 minutes. But when I run in 28k mode it doesn't happen. Any suggestions are appriciated

Thanks

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2000, 10:37 PM

I have the same problem. Using the v.90 modem script I get constant hang ups. Using the v.34 script everything's fine except that I'm crawling along at 28k.

-Mike

AusRob
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2000, 01:01 AM

Its possible that the problem lies in your phsical phone line and not the modem. I have heard it said that if you are on an old phone network or the lines are old they cannot handle a large amount of data transfer ie at 56.6K, so you get hang-ups. However when you switch to 28K, no problem as the line can cope with the slower transfer rate.

RobM

nonjo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2000, 02:16 AM

Check your ISP's website; they may have a modem script there for download that could help.

Xian
Mar 2, 2000, 01:49 PM

I have the same problem with our 400Mhz imac dv se and we live in a brand new building directly above a Pac Bell switcher - we don't have any extensions vconfilicts and all of our software in OS9 Compatable.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2000, 03:01 PM

My vote is for lousy internal modem in the iMac coupled with a lousy modem script. I have had the same problems mentioned above. My roommates PC laptop hums along at a high connect speed and with good stability USING THE EXACT SAME ISP AND PHONE JACK that i use with my iMac. I've wrangled with this for a month -- I think we're SOL with the modem/script combo we go with our iMacs. I've heard of people who connect fine with their iMacs -- I would assume that the iMac modem CAN do well with a great line but will do worse than other modems given a constant line quality
My .02

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2000, 03:05 PM

bingo, Krusty

pscates
Mar 2, 2000, 04:06 PM

Here at my apartment complex (which is fairly old...mid-70s easily, but I'm not sure of any phone line upgrades or the actual condition of the stuff) I routinely get a 45333 connection and stay connected just fine. One night about a week ago I go a 48-something or other connection, but most always it catches in the mid 40s.
My old Mac (Quadra 610, 33.6 USRobotics external modem, OS 8.1, Earthlink) worked just as well using the same line, wall jack and ISP, albeit quite a bit slower than my DV.
But I have friends at work who are constantly annoyed that they can't get a solid, reliable connection at their homes.
I think it's just unpredictable, random voodoo at work...and I've just been lucky all this time (knock on wood...).

------------------
Paul Scates
Carlsbad, CA
Photoshop rocks...but Illustrator rules!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2000, 03:01 AM

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24708

info on how your modem initialization string that is within the modem script (aka CCL) can be edited... i'm not saying this is a fix, but streamlining the initialization string in the modem script may have a positive effect.

you can use BBEdit lite (free, will open nearly anything, see versiontracker.com), for example, to edit the iMac internal 56k modem script. be sure to ALWAYS edit a COPY of whatever you wish to edit.

The following web sites provide speed/line testing: http://www.3com.com/56k/need4_56k/linetest.html
http://speedtest.mybc.com/
http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/

56k modem info is available at: http://808hi.com/56k/why56kis.htm

and see this disturbing report: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/001854.html

also, something i keep forgetting, there is the modem puppet show, lotsa scripts:
DOWNLOAD

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 04-07-2000).]

shadowtlk
Mar 15, 2000, 11:10 PM

I had the same peroblems with my modem on my DV SE, but I went to a null modem string, and connected through remote access using a command login screen.... Now I have no problems, and connect up solid typically at 49k..... And the phone lines in my apartment are very bad! : )

watchenman
Mar 16, 2000, 01:52 AM

How would one go about using/writing a connection script? What commands would one send to there modem?

------------------
I watch, I listen, I learn.

bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2000, 02:40 AM

Don't know much about scripts either myself, but try setting the Modem control panel with the Global Village 28.8-K56 script. For some reason unbeknownst to me, it works really well with the iMac DV's Apple internal 56K modem.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 03:07 AM

you can try Apple's modem script generator and plug this init string into it:

AT&FW2S7=75

exactly as shown...

For more information on AT commands, see the document "AT Commands.pdf," located in the Internal Modem folder in the Apple Extras folder on your hard drive.

and get Apple's Modem Script Generator here: http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n10664

Brookeview
Mar 17, 2000, 01:01 PM

All I want is a quick fix, a one-click solution to my slower connection problem. My iMac DV connects to my Earthlink dialup number at 33.6. I can unplug the phone line from the iMac and plug it into my PowerBook 1400's external 56k modem, dial the same number and immediately connect at 44000. Such a mystery and I don't like mysteries.

--GW

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2000, 02:35 PM

life is full of 'em...

not everything lends itself to a quick fix ya know, and patience is a rare virtue.

in the end, there is no substitute for research and experience

kreschurb
Mar 17, 2000, 08:23 PM

I have a Rev B iMac and though it isn't exactly what you have, let me share this. I was having constant problems staying connected to my ISP for any length of time (I still have occasional problems), so I decided to raise the roof with the ISP thinking that it was something on their end.

I ended up keeping a log, at the ISP's request, for a few days. When it was all said and done it showed that the faster the connection was, the shorter the connect would be. It is a result of the modem firmware and script combination that causes the modem to immediately go for the fastest possible data transfer, instead of a slow buildup to a fast transfer. What this is called is "Screaming Modem Syndrome" and it will cause the connection to drop in very short order. That is why the modem will connect and stay connected with a v34 script, but will have connect problems with a v90 script.

A short time later my ISP changed a bunch of their modems to a kind that seemed to get along better with mine and the problem is nowhere near where as bad as it was. As an aside, I have LinuxPPC installed on this machine and it actually has very few problems with staying connected. Also on my other computer system (Windoze PC that has BeOS and RHLinux), I have been connected for 15 or more hours at a time without any problems.

Basically, I suggest if it bothers you that much get a different modem or write a script that will keep your connect down near 45kb or so.

Kreschurb

fg
Mar 18, 2000, 11:08 AM

I had the same problems, my PC using the same jack and ISP connects fine at 49333 anytime, the new iMac DV I got will never hold a line at anything above 33600. I looked around the multiple news forums, and someone recommended this modem script http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/Hype...dem-script.hqx

I now connect consistently at 48000 any time.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 03-18-2000).]

Chris Wood
Mar 19, 2000, 01:06 PM

I was disappointed with the 8.8 connections I got consistently from my iMac DV (lime). Someone suggested using the Global Village 28.8-K56 modem script, instead of "Apple Internal 56K V.90".

It worked for me!

Chris

steve666
Mar 20, 2000, 07:49 PM

There is a simple solution for Apple-use an internal US Robotics modem instead of the garbage they use now. US Rocotics modems are simply the most reliable to use.....................

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2000, 11:34 AM

this modem script is reported to work well for some:
Download Script

The script is claimed to "improve performance with G3/iMac/G4s which use Flex-based modems to connect to US Robotics host equipment at less than V.90. The fix is a minor adjustment to bypass some non-standard error checking the host USR equipment uses. Flex based ISP's will not have this problem."

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2000, 10:10 AM

and here are some more items to check out, scripts and tips:
http://www.taniwha.cwc.net/
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24482

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2000, 12:27 PM

this is regarding the modem scripts availble at this link, provided previously: http://www.taniwha.cwc.net/

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:31:41 -0500
Subject: Apple Internal Modem
Greetings,
The modem scripts from the URL posted the other day have been extremely helpful. I'm using the 44k script and connect reliably at that speed 95% of the time now; before I had a miserable time attempting to connect at 56k and used the Apple 33.6 script to connect at 33.6 or below. The difference in data throughput, as observed in Netscape's status bar and ftp using Fetch is dramatic. Thanks!
John Lehet

chuckles
Mar 29, 2000, 10:18 AM

This rather long venting story is entitled,...
Let's all do the modem script dance!

Who the heck at Apple decided to release the IMAC DV SE with a modem that can be argued as a non-v90, 56k-Flex doodie technology (hah!). I am pissed. Will 9.04 fix all this or is the hardware (i.e. Modem) really a 28.8 v.34 that barks and spits if we tell it to run like a dial up Grayhound? It's a dog...look it's got a tail and it's barley waggin' but it's got a tai...and look, a dry nose..hmmmmm
It's a dog woooof...

My lovely, furry and warm, hound dog of a 7200/90 running updated sys 8 with a GV 56k x2 (repeat x2 technology is better...x2 technology is faster and works...) is still faster than my DV SE dee-lux, plug and surf hell hole! Are we to ignore the lessons of technology histroy for market share? Flex bites even when it is working! What type of deal did you strike on that one Apple? Is it one of those Micro-flacid, 150 Million thingiesthat Mac signed up for?

I have been on now un-disconnected for 35 minutes as I write this. The one longest connect time I have had in a month. And my teeth are chattering with anticipation of the next big disconnect. I've talked to my phone company (undisclosed, because they play their own games about pricing and service) No problem with my line! And they were nice too. No problem with my own cabling inside my home after checking it for the umpteenth time. What crap, "it's a very sensitive, uh, the modem, yeah the internal one, it will respond badly to even the slightest kink in the wire" Oh, dogs happen to leave little piles of dog-ma around too. Did I tell yah that, I didn't yet!
Oh, Yeah, Yeah, I know Earthlink is like all the rave in the Earthlink forum. I like them too. Knew them when they just started. Nice guy the owner, Is he still wearing funny suits at parties? Anyway, I have a rather big Mom and Pop ISP in NYC. They rock. They have been growing and wavin' over these years. They seem to like Mac's Too. "HI Mom HI Da...ooops I'm disconnected."
AND it's not them. Apple's expectation seem's to be that Mom and Pop and all us generational user's down the line should spend our lives tweaking our cute diddly Imacs or our server's until our fingers are raw and tingly.
I am using the regular off the shelf Apple Internal 56k (v34) script and WOAH! 42 minutes, A NEW IMAC DV SE record! My Provider tech support person the other day. AND we did have a perfectly wonderful and prosperous troubleshooting for almost two hours. Like cousins. Great company really, with them from the start,...yah know...Said to me "You have one of those DV SE"s that's the De-lux model right" 'For sure 'cuz'! I said in my best Mac evanglist dogma. Butz it'z like working sickly like...and won' get any better. Well, let it limp along like an old generation machine (wait my old machine is more stable...hmmmm) and see if the phone company and MicroSloth can look like they are more effective at connecting with DSL looming as a choice or with an E-poop box with the kitchen commode thrown in for free, gee it looks like an IMAC too. Phooy..I want my IMAC TO WORK right!

Wait wait I'm-a gonna cry...
sniff..
almost an hour...

Wait control yourself chuckles!
A tear might fall into your rain catching ISub...and short this blissful moment...

I hope that they (Our Apple...my Apple...the Apple of my straining eyes) are waiting for the miracle of 9.0.4 to solve it all with a quick install?

Me, my cousins, and my Idog are waiting with bated breath.

I am still online. Do you think it's something to do with the Internal Modem's ability to work with the v90 protocol or the Flex technology? Are DV SE's more unstable because they are pushed to 400mhz? Or are they unable to handle the v90 sped and that is why you can't go faster than 48000 without frequent disconnects above 36000?

For my next trick, the hoop I will choose is to send notorious....

+++ATH0

This is the widely noted Modem Guard Defect String.
The bone that should chock the dog...

Let's test it...
Wait here. whilist I go out to the dog house...
Don't move, you might scare her off...

Hey, who thought that..
That Apple should go to the doghouse...
Now now, we are Mac people here for a reason.
Just because sales are up doesn't mean they have a vicious corporate persona that eats it's customers like Micro-moof does. Hey love us right?

Wait I just thought about the Modem defect string and I disconnected!
Hey that's a new hacker trick...
Thought Hacking�...
ta think in this day and age...

It lasted almost an hour and 15 minutes. Wow, on the good sex scale that is acceptable.

Wow, maybe that IS acceptable for a connection time! hmmmmm. And the speed well it's snot DSL or cable bloatem but I can get my E-mail alright.

I am hip-mo-tized...
36000 is fast....
Flex is better than x2...
I could get a cute E-bun instead...
Dookie!
Double Dookie!

No NOOOO woof...snarl..no! Sit Stay roll-over...beg!

No disconnects! No slower speeds...
Duh, It's an IMAC, Internet MAC...
Stay online, Please!
At the industry standard v90 rate
Within reason of 48000.
I'm not even asking for an improvement anymore over my old referbished 603/90. Yes, it went a lot quicker. But the Imac is so cute. And all the glory of USB...
Who could ask for more...

We can!
The leash is not on our necks for buyin'
It's on Apple's!
Let them prove the modem doesn't suck!

Pull on the lease everyone...
Bark for me, Bark for me!

Yeah, now say reinstall this!

Woof!

Oh, yeah.
I'm going to do the dreaded Modem Death string test now
wish me
a-lot-a
I-Luck�

chuckles
Mar 29, 2000, 10:52 AM

ok. sorry for the very long one...
Here is the Oscar winning short sequel:
entitled,

It ain't just the speed, it's the damn modem.

I just got two clear disconnects while using the Apple Internal 56k (v34) modem script.
Yes is more stable.
Yes I can stay on longer.
No, it is not resilient to the +++ATH0, Modem Guard Defect String test!

the +++ATH0 still disconnects me when sent as even the text of a E-mail or in the forwarded version.

The behavior is not only seen during E-mail. The occasion when I get disconnects while surfing. I see the same pause before the disconnect. Certain sites do it at certain moments. The moment and behavior are to amorpous to pin down exactly. It reminded me of earlier Java problems (remember those during system 8x). If the +++ATH0, Modem Guard Defect String can be placed in any HTML text or E-mail, this would indeed be malicious. Ask anyone who is dealing with this disconnect thing. It's malicious. It would certainly lower the reliablility of the Mac platform to have stability of connection affected, yes? Well, then, What seems to be happening here?

Is Apple been subjected to a security type flaw? So simple and malicious?

Just fix it and be true to the presumed Imac Miracle of Joy...
The IMAC DV SE-the pocket rocket of stable connectivity.

Maybe,
but not yet

(uh, yeah and could you have it soleve my spelling problems too..)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2000, 09:49 AM

it does appear that FreePPP has been successful in many cases of bad modem performance when user experience using Apple's Remote Access has been less than good.
in the strictest of senses i am not supposed to do this though i do it all the time (refer to other sites)... please see the reports on MODEM problems at macintouch.com, they are extremely informative

dansker
Mar 31, 2000, 12:24 PM

I too have been upset with the internal modem, but I just tried the "B/W G3/G4 Internal Modem 7" script from Modem Puppet Show (get the latest v. 3.2 linked from MacFixIt.com today) Now my internal modem connects at 57.6K and is STABLE. It feels a lot faster than the 48K max I was getting with the internal v.90 script apple supplied. Check it out.

Moley
Mar 31, 2000, 12:29 PM

I have been having problems using my iMac DV SE on line, but not from the beginning. When I firat got it, it was fine, with 48k my average connect speed.

I spoke to the telephone company and they gave their usual response "We don't guarantee line performance for modem connections.", but agreed to have a look. They say the line is OK, but they have turned the line gain up to maximum. I also moved the connection between the iMac and the wall, and have it hung from the ceiling (would you believe!). This has it well away from any mains leads, ethernet cables and transformers. I am now back up to 49k connections, up from the low point of 28k.

I hope this gives some people a few ideas to try out!

Good luck all of you.

chuckles
Apr 7, 2000, 04:28 PM

Chuckles' Modem scripts Update 4-7-00

I have a Imac DV SE 256 megs ram, lots of USB hubbed peripherals, all active and working.

I finally got update 9.04 working fine. Quicktime, Diskwarrior, and Techtool updates working also.
I read that the Pilot Desktop was having some problems for some. I haven't had those. But... I'm awaiting that update 'cause I couldn't do without that working too!

Scripts with Sys v 9.0.4 update:
-Apple Internal 56K Modem (v34), stable, 33,600-36,000 bps, still sensitive to Apple Modem Defect string, useless for Unreal Tournament (my test bed) because of speed.
-Apple Internal 56K Modem (v90), still drastically unstable, frequent browsing disconnects, 48,000 bps connect speed, sensitive to Apple Modem Defect string, useless for Unreal Tournament because of disconnects
-Modem Puppet Show, Imac internal Modem 3, fairly stable, fast 115,200bps, rare browsing disconnects, sensitive to Apple Modem Defect string, Great for Unreal Tournament

I tried Modem Puppet Show scripts up to Imac Internal Modem 4 (failed on my machine) and was content with what 3 was giving me. I may get to test the others or maybe APPLE WILL PROVIDE THE FIX!

It's nice to know that the whole Apple community (not just the IMAC), can handle this beta testing uh...stuff. I have tried ALL the other scripts available through mention on the Macnn.com and Macfixit.com links. I finally have one that is a bit more than tolerable. In fact usable! The next major move, as someone else mentioned in the forum, is to bring it in to have the modem replaced. Just make sure that Applecare approves the replacement first. I can't afford the CPU downtime to put it into the shop right now. I figured buying the cutting edge Imac machine would give me sometime before anything major was required hardware wise. Must have been another rainbow I was crossing...

APPLE owes Macnn.com and Macfixit.com (and I am sure other forums) and the Apple community (loads of ISP tech's included) a ton of thanks for this degree of dedication, perseverance and fortitude. Hey wasn't that what it took Dorothy to get to see the Wiz?

Come on Toto, let's get back to the I-deal IMac home I-We were promised.

Hey there's a concept the new I-We

Hint: It includes everyone, Apple!

Base Glaxal
Apr 16, 2000, 12:12 PM

chuckles: I tried the imac internal modem 3 script, and like you said I'm connected at 115200 bps. Call me ignorant but how can I connect at 115200 when I have a 56000 modem?

I hope this script will work because I'm sick of surfing at 33000 bps.

flyfisher
Apr 17, 2000, 10:46 AM

If the speedometer in your car said you were going 20,000 miles per hour would you believe that too?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2000, 03:16 PM

I dunno, I don't think it's the script. I used the one recommended at the TIL and I got a "Connecting at unknown rate" message, and much slower (2K per second)download speeds. I consistently get 48K or higher (knock on wood) with my DV SE, and between 4.5K and 6.5K per second download speeds.

There are many factors that can affect your connection speed, and I would begin by trying an alternate number with your ISP.

chuckles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2000, 05:04 PM

Yes there is a difference between port speed and modem speed.

The point of tunes scripts are to maximize some throughput settings that may be varying upon dial-up and connection.

I am resorting to the Apple v34 script that came with Sys 9.04 because it is more stable than the others. The Modem Puppet Script 3, still suffered from disconnects and my gaming is ok with the Apple script. I am accepting that Apple ripped me off with a non-56k modem, it will not function with v90 as advertised, even by their insistence, v34 must be used.

I started experimenting with OT Advanced Tuner and IPnetmonitor but all this fidgeting is finally getting to me. I bought the Imac to use have connectivity transparent. Plug it in, right? I was either mistaken or mislead, I have my opinions.

Hope all is going well for everyone else's Imac's

Forum Links
Forum Rules