Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac on a NT Network

iMac on a NT Network
Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2001, 12:42 PM

Here at work we use mostly Wintel machines. However I was able to get a hold of a iMac for our "graphic arts" department. We put the iMac in a cubicle with an ethernet port. However we cannot get the computer to see the other computers or access the internet (which according to my supervisor - who consulted our "IT" department) the iMac should see the network. I know this is not the case. However I have already placed an order for DoubleTalk.

Is this the only solution?

krockls1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2001, 03:11 PM

Your system admin should know that NT 4.0 and Win 2K server has a Macintosh comptability pack that must be installed on the server side for the NT Server to recognize a macintosh on the network. If this has been installed, then try using Dave, an app from David Pogue of MacWorld, I believe, which will allow your mac to see the PCs across the NT network.

------------------
Kevin Rock
Kevin Rock

h8teiris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 02:01 AM

hey , you can get pc-mac lan , i use it with my windows 2000 setup , it works mint , let you use apple talk and will allow windows to see the mac disk and vice versa... good luck ps... much cheaper than the nt Macintosh comptability pack
there are more than a few muzzie's out there and they think they use macs, but you ip belongs to me!

GundamX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 01:14 PM

In order to connect a mac to an NT network you must make sure the server is configured for Services for Macintosh. Go to the network properties and add services for macintosh. Reboot the server then go to server manger and a new menu will appear called Mac File. Under that menu click volumes and create an apple share volume which will just be a shared folder which both macs and pcs can see. (make sure the drive is NTFS or it will not work)You won't be able to browse the network like pcs but you will beable to share files.
As for your internet connection go to the control panels and select TCP/IP control panel. Configure as follow:
Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Manually or DHCP depending if you have a DHCP server
If not then you will need to configure the IP address, subnet mask, router(gateway) and Name Server address(DNS) All of this info should be provided by your IT dept.
Close and save. Get the mac on the net is easy and you won't have to reboot.

krockls1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 04:56 PM

I think that OT 3's network browser will allow for browsability over an NT network, (WIN2K) if services are installed.

------------------
Kevin Rock
Kevin Rock

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2001, 10:26 AM

I am using my iMac DV Lime on my University network, and have found the best way to get onto the network, is to use dave. It is reliable, and also means that you can share your files across the network. I find this helpfull as it means I can open word files, etc. straight from my iMac, rather than having to keep them on my network drive.

Try the demo of DAVE from www.thursby.com

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Jeff Edsell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2001, 04:00 PM

Definitely DAVE. I used it for three years at my last job. The best part is that you don't have to do anything to the Windows machines or the network--just install DAVE on the iMac and you're good to go.

(BTW, DAVE's name doesn't refer to the esteemed Mac writer David Pogue. It's a reference to WebDAV, a standard for cross-platform file sharing.)

JEff

garyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2001, 06:10 PM

Actually, WebDAV is an Internet filesharing protocol that allows you to access data over the Internet and mount it as a "local" drive that you can access from your standard applications as if it were a local drive. If you have ever worked with Web Folders on a Windows PC running Internet Explorer 5.x you will know what I mean.
A WebDAV implementation for the Mac would be Goliath.

Thursby's DAVE is actually an SMB client (SMB and CIFS are the Microsoft file standards) that makes your Mac look like a PC running Windows. This would be the same as running SAMBA on Linux, Unix, or MacOS X.

I'm not exactly sure why it's called DAVE, I always thought that was the name of the guy that wrote it.

Gary

Forum Links
Forum Rules