Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > DreamWeaver MX preview - why so slow?

DreamWeaver MX preview - why so slow?
Crazy ebot
May 2, 2002, 02:30 AM

There is no reason I can fathom why a 'window selection' should cause my G4/400 with 512megs of RAM to get a spinning beachball for 5 seconds.

What's the story, is the preview a 'yet to be optimised' product, or is this what it's going to be like on its final release?

I'm considering switching to GL6 if it is ... they both have decent backend database support now, so there's no desperaate need to stick with DW, except that I preferred the visual design tools to GL5's.

Anyone got the inside line on DWMX?

Cheers,

Tobes.

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 06:37 PM

I can't say anything for sure, but this seems to be the difference between Macromedia and Adobe. Macromedia seems to hurry the process of Carbonizing with the result being a crappy port.

Adobe seems to do it right.

Raman
Mac Elite
May 15, 2002, 09:01 PM

It works fine on my p-3 1.2ghz 512mb ram sony vaio laptop. Same with Flash MX and Fireworks MX. Can't wait till the retail versions of all come out!

Crazy ebot  (op)
May 17, 2002, 12:14 AM

Well that's good news ... for the next time I'm using a Wintel Box. ;-p

In the meantime - am I alone in my 'incredibly slow' DreamWeaver MX experience, and does anyone know if Macromedia expect it to be much faster under Jaguar, hence they're not worrying about it's performance under 10.1?

Cheers,

Tobes.

Originally posted by Raman:
<STRONG>It works fine on my p-3 1.2ghz 512mb ram sony vaio laptop. Same with Flash MX and Fireworks MX. Can't wait till the retail versions of all come out!</STRONG>

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 18, 2002, 11:28 AM

I also find Dreamweaver to be darn slow - and Fireworks has a different sort of drawing engine, so that it doesn't keep up with my mouse if a lot of other things are happening in OS X, and ... well, it just doesn't work very smoothly if I have a lot of apps open on my iBook 500.

Really, I should get a new Mac... an iBook G4 would make my day, though I suppose a PBook would be even better...Quartz Extreme, baby!

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 18, 2002, 10:42 PM

I don't understand the complaints, it's plenty fast for me. Don't notice a difference from the 9 version.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Crazy ebot  (op)
May 20, 2002, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>I don't understand the complaints, it's plenty fast for me. Don't notice a difference from the 9 version.</STRONG>
Yeah, I've heard others say their copy works great. I don't get why my G4/466 with 512megs of RAM, and no other apps running (including classic) is having problems at all.

Tobes.

Raman
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 03:17 PM

You have to understand that this is a 1.0 release of their apps for OSX (unlike versions for windows) so you have to be a little patient in terms of quality and speed optimizations. As far as your rationilization of it's slowness on your machine - there's no reason whatsoever it should be slower than Dreamweaver for 9. When I had my Mac, i loved Dreamweaver and Fireworks running in Classic. I couldn't care less when they crashed because they wouldn't bring the rest of the house down and they actually ran fast in Classic.

-Raman

Originally posted by Crazy ebot:
<STRONG>Well that's good news ... for the next time I'm using a Wintel Box. ;-p

In the meantime - am I alone in my 'incredibly slow' DreamWeaver MX experience, and does anyone know if Macromedia expect it to be much faster under Jaguar, hence they're not worrying about it's performance under 10.1?

Cheers,

Tobes.

</STRONG>

Crazy ebot  (op)
May 22, 2002, 10:57 PM

Heya Raman,

I don't begrudge Windows users their faster versions of DW, and I certainly appreciated that DW works under classic (although my ftp access is flaky, but I suspect that's to do with OSX more than anything else - bring on Jaguar! ).

I don't agree that DW under X should be slower than similar caliber programs eg. GL6, Photoshop 7. These programs aren't exactly 'flying' under X, but it says something about DWMX that I feel it's signficantly slower than these guys.

My system isn't hacked in any way, I don't screw around with it in a work environment (no quips about why I'm using OSX in a work environment anyone ). I'm at a loss as to why KidRed is having a great time with DWMX and I'm getting massive system pauses flicking between windows or just trying to drag a window. It's bizarre. If anyone wants to provide an answer, I'm all ears.

Looking back on what I've written, I am holding Macromedia responsible for the programs' slow performance on my machine, even though evidence (such as KidRed's experience) suggests that it could be a configuration or hardware problem. Who knows, maybe DWMX is constantly engaging my network for some reason ... all I know is I can't use it in its present condition, and I hope things change before the commercial release. I know Macromedia isn't going to cry over losing one customer - since I pefer the DW interface, I kinda think it's going to be my loss, but I'm not going to sit around and get pissed off with poor performance. Thank god I'm not afraid to learn a new interface.

Cheers,

Tobes.

P.S. The advantage of having DW running under classic, crashing, and not taking the OS with it is moot when running DWMX under OSX will also not send the OS crashing.

I'd prefer native apps under X, I don't like having to apply any RAM to running an emulator aside from VPC

Originally posted by Raman:
<STRONG>You have to understand that this is a 1.0 release of their apps for OSX (unlike versions for windows) so you have to be a little patient in terms of quality and speed optimizations. As far as your rationilization of it's slowness on your machine - there's no reason whatsoever it should be slower than Dreamweaver for 9. When I had my Mac, i loved Dreamweaver and Fireworks running in Classic. I couldn't care less when they crashed because they wouldn't bring the rest of the house down and they actually ran fast in Classic.

-Raman

</STRONG>
[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: Crazy ebot ]

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Crazy ebot:
<STRONG>I'm at a loss as to why KidRed is having a great time with DWMX and I'm getting massive system pauses flicking between windows or just trying to drag a window. It's bizarre. If anyone wants to provide an answer, I'm all ears.</STRONG>
I'm guessing his Dual 1Gig G4 could be a factor
Computer thez nohhh...

ford prefect
Forum Regular
May 23, 2002, 02:26 AM

Dreamewaver MX is really slow on my setup also. But mine's g3. Photoshop is much faster, though not blazing. Nothing really seems to run fast enough for me.

I'd try GoLive, and see if you get better results. But in my opinion, Dreamweaver MX is the worst port of an app ive seen yet. (exept early versions of appleworks that wouldn't even launch.)

Hoping for great things with Jaguar.

Crazy ebot  (op)
May 23, 2002, 09:09 PM

*heh heh* A computer potentially 4 times faster than mine ... wakarimasu.

Cheers,

Tobes.

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<STRONG>

I'm guessing his Dual 1Gig G4 could be a factor </STRONG>

MacNN Monkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2002, 02:32 AM

I have a dual Gig with over 1 gig of ram and am having very slow response times on dragging frames and editing text. I resave as often as possible to eliminate the undo command from building up too much and slowing things down, but to no avail.

The more text I am using, the worse it gets.

Very frustrating using the preview edition.

Crazy ebot  (op)
May 29, 2002, 08:46 PM

Hokay, to anyone with a problem re: Dreamweaver MX's speed - I suggest downloading the new Trial/Buy version.

Looks like all the speed problems I had with the preview release have been fixed in this final version.

Hey KidRed, let us know if the new version of DWMX is even _faster_ than what you currently experience.

Thankyou Macromedia. Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

Tobes.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by MacNN Monkey:
<strong>I have a dual Gig with over 1 gig of ram and am having very slow response times on dragging frames and editing text. I resave as often as possible to eliminate the undo command from building up too much and slowing things down, but to no avail.

The more text I am using, the worse it gets.

Very frustrating using the preview edition.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

<small>[ 05-29-2002, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Crazy ebot ]</small>

TC
Senior User
May 30, 2002, 03:59 PM

Have they fixed the non X behavior of the interface?
Does the maximize button in the window respect the palettes and the dock?
Does the red close window button have a dot to show you that the contents need to be saved?

I tried opening a 400k word generated html file in the trial version to tryout their cleanup word code tool. After 10 minutes it still hadn�t loaded. GoLive took seconds to open it.
Nothing to see, move along.

MacNN Monkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2002, 05:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crazy ebot:
[QB]Hokay, to anyone with a problem re: Dreamweaver MX's speed - I suggest downloading the new Trial/Buy version.

Looks like all the speed problems I had with the preview release have been fixed in this final version.
WOOOOOT Thx!! The one I just downloaded works like a charm. Heh, now I only have 4 days left in my trial.

Oh well, thanks for the heads up!

Forum Links
Forum Rules